MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Gilles Simon Message Board (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=971)
-   -   2014, Summer Clay in Europe (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=380609)

lalaland 12-28-2013 01:05 AM

2014, Summer Clay in Europe

Happy bday to Gilles. Happy New Year to everyone.

First tournament of the year, Brisbane. Hope for a very good start for the year.

Draw:
Federer - BYE
Nieminen - Duckworth
Matosevic - Benneteau
Querrey - Tursunov

Anderson - BYE
Groth - [Q]
Sijsling - Mahut
Mannarino - Chardy

Lopez - Kukushkin
Hewitt - [Q]
[Q] - [Q]
Simon - BYE

Dimitrov - Haase
Istomin - Cilic
Kyrgios - Ebden
Nishikori - BYE

Allez!

turtle-rn 12-28-2013 03:38 PM

Re: 2014, Season Down Under

Happy New Year to you too Lala. :wavey:

lalaland 12-29-2013 01:37 AM

Thanks Nat :wavey:

Btw, he's playing double with Jarkko at Brisbane.

AUS EBDEN, Matthew / AUS KOKKINAKIS, Thanasi
FIN NIEMINEN, Jarkko / FRA SIMON, Gilles

UZB ISTOMIN, Denis / NED SIJSLING, Igor
POL FYRSTENBERG, Mariusz / CAN NESTOR, Daniel

Gilles also added Kooyong to his schedule.
http://au.sports.yahoo.com/tennis/ne...oyong-classic/

mike s. 01-02-2014 02:49 AM

The start of the season is here, allez Gilles!

GilleSimonAddict 01-02-2014 04:12 AM

It's not looking to be too good of a start to 2014 so far unfortunately. Gilles is down a set and trying his hardest to hang on in the second set.

GilleSimonAddict 01-02-2014 04:38 AM

Whelp, Gilles is out in straight sets to a guy ranked 147 :facepalm:. Not the kind of start I was hoping for for the new year. Makes you already feel kinda grim about how he might fair at the AO now. Guess I'll just have to hope for the best. It's all I can do.:unsure:

Gillouthe best 01-02-2014 07:49 AM

Gilles :sad: , so much talk about his game in practice and all... it's never easy to start vs a player who came through qualies and who is a big server on a fast surface but his game looked to really lack confidence today. Also, serving at 43% hardly helps :sad: . Let's hope it was just a matter of Brisbane being the 1st tournament of the season.

Gillou :hug: , fingers crossed for a good AO.

EDIT: I saw on Twitter that he said after the match that he had some leg problems which didn't let him move correctly. He says he will be ok for the AO, maybe that means he won't play Kooyong,I want him to play, because he is short of match practice, but obviously if the injury is severe, he should rest.

HalBanks 01-02-2014 02:00 PM

:sad: I hope he gets some good match practice before the AO.

Gillouthe best 01-07-2014 02:05 PM

He will play tomorrow vs Wawrinka on Kooyong on the 4th match of the day.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

GilleSimonAddict 01-07-2014 04:23 PM

Yikes! Don't like his chances against Stan. I know the tournament is mostly a lighthearted affair, but either way, the way Gilles is playing vs the way Stan is playing, I don't like his chances.

GilleSimonAddict 01-08-2014 07:22 AM

Well that was a strange match. The wind was brutal and reeked havoc with both player's games. Gilles started off really struggling with the wind and the timing on his ball toss and changes in ball direction from the wind during rallies while Stan seemed to be doing fine. Then during the middle of the second set it was Stan who started struggling with the wind and the timing on his shots off of the ground during the rally exchanges framing several balls while Gilles started to get a better handle on things and dealing with the wind.

By the end of the second set Stan pretty much gave up and just stopped trying and started going through the motions for the rest of the match into the third set. Gilles played a lot better and Stan looked like he just wanted to be off of the court.

Still, a good win for Gilles to comeback from a set and a break down and to be able to get a hold on and start dealing with the intense winds. :clap2:

Puschkin 01-08-2014 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GilleSimonAddict (Post 20036905)
Still, a good win for Gilles to comeback from a set and a break down and to be able to get a hold on and start dealing with the intense winds. :clap2:

And the Kooyong site has Wawrinka winning. :rolleyes:
http://www.aamiclassic.com.au/Home

Gillouthe best 01-08-2014 08:01 PM

Good to get the 1st win of the season :yeah: , even if it's on an exho it's good to get wins and match practice, and more so vs top-10 players.

Gillouthe best 01-09-2014 10:04 PM

He plays tomorrow vs Gasquet on the third turn.

lalaland 01-09-2014 11:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, here's his quarter AO draw (R1 Brands, R2 Cilic/Granollers, R3 seed Tsonga, R4 seed Federer).
Hope he wins some rounds. Allez Gilles.