MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Player Talk (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=596)
-   -   A tennis question........ (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=37125)

Agent X 05-15-2005 02:03 AM

A tennis question........

Having played a match recently which finished 11-9 in the 5th set with both of us blowing numerous match points I came to a conclusion, which seems to be against what most people believe....I play tennis quite competitively, and have realised that I am much more tense when I am match point down rather than match point up. Most players seem to choke when they have a match point, or serving for a match/title. I am completely the opposite, if I\'m serving for a match I am relaxed and play my normal game. If I\'m down match point or my opponent is serving for the match I tighten up, and instead of playing my normal game I focus solely on not making an error.

Anyone have any opinions on the matter, I can\'t really get my head round it :(

aceit 05-15-2005 02:11 AM

Re: A tennis question........

Wow, how'd you do in that match? I couldn't imagine playing best of 5!

I agree with you, unless it's a tiebreaker because then I'm tense and cannot help it. :o

erik-the-red 05-15-2005 03:33 AM

Use this as your secret weapon. The one thing that nobody, except maybe aceit and I, knows.

And, seriously, how did you play that kind of a marathon match?

Black Adam 05-15-2005 07:50 AM

What was the score :)

Action Jackson 05-15-2005 07:58 AM

It depends on the individual mentality really I know of guys who have such major problems closing out matches, but can save match points and win them, yet hve problems holding leads.

Agent X 05-15-2005 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
It depends on the individual mentality really I know of guys who have such major problems closing out matches, but can save match points and win them, yet hve problems holding leads.

My attitude is very positive. I think I should win every match I play and I fight like hell to try to do so. That\'s probably why I get a bit nervous if I\'m on the verge of losing. If I\'m on the brink of winning I don\'t really think about it, I just carry on as normal as I expect myself to win even if my opponent might be a better player.

I managed to get through the match on pure adreniline. We played almost 6 hours, final score was 6-7 6-3 5-7 7-6 11-9. It was the best match I\'ve ever played, it was at my club and by the end we had quite a lot of people watching :p I also don\'t find tennis as tiring as some other sports, you get a lot of short little breaks in between points and games, so you\'re not constantly running like some other sports. I certainly felt the effects of the match the morning after though, I couldn\'t move :(

Action Jackson 05-15-2005 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent X
My attitude is very positive. I think I should win every match I play and I fight like hell to try to do so. That\'s probably why I get a bit nervous if I\'m on the verge of losing. If I\'m on the brink of winning I don\'t really think about it, I just carry on as normal as I expect myself to win even if my opponent might be a better player.

Even Sampras got nervous when serving for matches, so it effects everyone differently. As I said it depends on the level and the attitude of the player, some can handle it and others don't.

Quote:

I managed to get through the match on pure adreniline. We played almost 6 hours, final score was 6-7 6-3 5-7 7-6 11-9. It was the best match I\'ve ever played, it was at my club and by the end we had quite a lot of people watching :p I also don\'t find tennis as tiring as some other sports, you get a lot of short little breaks in between points and games, so you\'re not constantly running like some other sports. I certainly felt the effects of the match the morning after though, I couldn\'t move :(
If you're Danish are you playing matches outside yet? I could see one of those scorelines on a fast indoor surface, if it was on clay good stuff? Yes, tennis there is plenty of time to stall and get your breath back if needed, but it can be gruelling as I know some of the guys where we used to play wouldn't sit down, they'd changed ends have a drink on the way to changing and then get on with it.

Got to warm down after those matches.

Agent X 05-15-2005 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
If you\'re Danish are you playing matches outside yet? I could see one of those scorelines on a fast indoor surface, if it was on clay good stuff? Yes, tennis there is plenty of time to stall and get your breath back if needed, but it can be gruelling as I know some of the guys where we used to play wouldn\'t sit down, they\'d changed ends have a drink on the way to changing and then get on with it.

Got to warm down after those matches.

It was a pretty fast indoor surface. We\'ve both got reasonably big serves but by the end we were serving like Dementieva, we had absolutely nothing left to give. I do play some guys that just switch ends without a break, but usually I take a short break whether they like it or not :)

The only warming down I did after the match was collapsing in a heap and not getting up for about 5 hours :p

iliketennis 05-15-2005 12:57 PM

Critical parts of matches affect us all differently. Some can deal with it, most can't. Good job anyway :wavey:

Burrow 06-05-2007 05:15 PM

i dont feel nervous anytime really, thats probably cause i dont care if i win or lose, not as if im being handed a big fat cheque for a million if i win.