MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Player Talk (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=596)
-   -   Leg (upper and lower) workout tips? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=36283)

Sinnet 05-07-2005 07:56 PM

Leg (upper and lower) workout tips?

Hi, everyone.

I'm wanting some ideas for off-court working out for my legs. I want to build up my upper legs and calves. My girlfriend also made the comment "maybe if you find some good workouts, you'll end up with a backside like Roddick's", so what are some tips to make me (and her :p) happy?

Thanks.

Action Jackson 05-07-2005 07:58 PM

Re: Leg (upper and lower) workout tips?

Do squats in the gym they help, at the start don't use a heavy weight at all and learn the correct form that is so important especially in this exercise.

Find a steep hill and do sprints up that hill that will work. It depends on what you want and can do?

Sinnet 05-07-2005 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Do squats in the gym they help, at the start don't use a heavy weight at all and learn the correct form that is so important especially in this exercise.

Find a steep hill and do sprints up that hill that will work. It depends on what you want and can do?

I can probably do anything... I'm in good shape, I'm just looking to improve the legs. Thanks, George. :)

Action Jackson 05-07-2005 08:03 PM

Squats will do it as it will give you strength and the explosive power needed for sudden movements as well. I am lucky I don't have a problem in that department.

Do you want to get quicker, stronger or both?

Sinnet 05-07-2005 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Squats will do it as it will give you strength and the explosive power needed for sudden movements as well. I am lucky I don't have a problem in that department.

Do you want to get quicker, stronger or both?

Both.

Fee 05-07-2005 08:56 PM

yet another desperate plea for a tennis players/tips/equipment forum (please see the link in my signature...)

ae wowww 05-07-2005 09:08 PM

Do more with your girlfriend :D

joeb_uk 05-07-2005 09:47 PM

depends what area of the legs you are looking to work on, but here a few reccomendations for you:
Squats (First try without weights, or just with the bar for example, once you get stronger put on some weights). There are also many variants of squats too, but traditional squats are a good place to start.

Leg extensions (you will need to go to a gym for this, as you will need the leg extension machine). its aimed to improve quadricep strength (femoris vastus lateralis, vastus intermedius, rectus femoris, vastus medialis).

If you are looking to strengthen your adductor muscles, try using the adductor machine or a cable adduction.

But a great place to start is squats because they work alot of muscles in the legs!

joeb_uk 05-07-2005 09:50 PM

Ill post some tips on squats for you, i had to do some work for a poster (which included exercises to improve leg strength).

• Make sure the athlete inhales deeply, this is to stop the athlete from bending forward. By inhaling deeply it also keeps the intrathoracic pressure. The athlete should also rotate their pelvis forward.
• The athlete must bend their knees with the bar behind their head (slowly is the key).
• Injury can be caused due to athletes bending their back, so it is essential to keep the back straight (this is due to the axis of flexion running through the hip joint)
• When the athlete’s thighs are parallel to the ground, they should extend their legs and straighten their torso.
• As one repetition is completed, exhale.

When the athlete becomes stronger, they should increase the amount of repetitions and sets they are completing. Also increasing the weight on the bar, will have a better effect.

mishar 05-08-2005 01:21 PM

Squats are #1 -- as the above poster say, correct form is essential. Depth (of knee bend) is as important as # of pounds, so no need to overdo the weight until you have the flexibility sufficient to do a proper squat.

Other helpful exercises: deadlifts, lunges, step-ups. Lunges you can do across a room, or just back and forth in the same place. You can gradually increase the amount of weight you hold, you can do backward lunges and forward lunges or diagonal lunges, just make sure your knee is in line with your foot. Step-ups, hold a heavy weight and step on a bench with one foot, then down with the same foot, move fast.

Horatio Caine 05-08-2005 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ae wowww
Do more with your girlfriend :D

:haha: :haha: :lol:

Hewitt_Rules 05-08-2005 02:15 PM

I would also like an arse like Roddick's, anyone know any exercises for the arse?