MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Team USA (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Paul Goldstein (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=34548)

Scotso 04-21-2005 04:41 AM

Paul Goldstein

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a huge fan of Paul and have been for some time. In fact, I think he was one of my first favorites on the men's tour.

He just lost a heartbreaker today I think it was 5-7 in the third in Houston, but making the second round was great for him.

He's a talented guy! I hope he continues to have improved success.

Any other Paul fans?

Scotso 04-21-2005 04:47 AM

Re: Paul Goldstein

Lucky girl.

Scotso 04-21-2005 05:46 AM

Well I'd love to go on a date with Paul, but I doubt he would go for that. And I AM Jewish :bounce:

IMO, Paul's a stud.

Scotso 04-21-2005 05:46 AM

Nevertheless, that's a neat story :wavey:

Fee 04-21-2005 08:41 PM

I am a big fan of Paul too (he was in my signature for ages). He really won me over when I saw him play Andy in Houston back in 2003. He never gave up, chased everything down, and refused to be intimidated by Andy. I was so impressed that I tracked Paul down later that evening just so I could talk to him and tell him all of that. I just saw him at Indian Wells a few weeks ago and he said hello and told me he remembered me after all that time. That was very cool. I hope I get to see him again some time, and see him play again too. He's a very decent man.

Deboogle!. 04-21-2005 11:31 PM

I guess I'm a fan... I haven't really gotten to see him play, except last year in Houston and I thought he seemed like a cool guy :) He seems like a real hard worker and stuff, too, which is nice:) Maybe he'll play the LA tourney and I'll be sure to check him out again!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fee
He never gave up, chased everything down, and refused to be intimidated by Andy.

He did the same to Andy in San Jose this year, no? Very impressive :)

binkygirl 04-22-2005 01:07 AM

Didn't he get married last year to his college sweetheart?

Scotso 04-22-2005 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binkygirl
Didn't he get married last year to his college sweetheart?

Say it ain't so! :sad:

Deboogle!. 04-22-2005 02:12 AM

yeah, it is so. I remember reading about it when it happened, and here's from the Tallahassee paper a couple weeks ago
-----------------------------------
Goldstein's journey crosses Tallahassee

By St. Clair Murraine

DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

Paul Goldstein's seven-year professional tennis career has been sort of a roller-coaster ride lately. Sometimes more than he cared to experience.

Last year was one of those times for the former teenage sensation. But Goldstein is trying to turn things around after marrying the woman he'd dated for nine years. Marriage and a rejuvenated desire to regain a top 100 ranking have Goldstein taking a new attitude.

He puts it to the test this week when he begins play as the No.7 seed in the Tallahassee Challenger, which begins a six-day runs Monday at Forestmeadows. Now that he's no longer a bachelor he has more reason to stay focused on the $7,200 prize that goes to the singles winner.

"I'm not just responsible for myself (any more), but for my wife and future family," said Goldstein, who left Tallahassee with the title the last time he played in this challenger two years ago. "Every time I step on the court I'm measuring myself."

The 29-year-old is fast approaching the peak years of his career. There's still plenty of time, though, for Goldstein to make his mark, said Dwayne Hultquist, who coaches the FSU men's tennis team.

"Paul is a great player and he's proven himself in college," Hultquist said. "I don't think that the four years (in college) takes anything off your game. I think what makes it hard is when you get older and move on to other things.

"Paul has gotten married (but) it doesn't mean he can't be successful."

Goldstein's plans to marry Abbie McBridge kept him from defending his title last year. When the couple got married, Goldstein was in the midst of a year during which his ranking plummeted from 110th to 200th in the world.

Goldstein said he even considered retiring, but his wife pushed him to play.

"She's very supportive," he said. "I feel at this stage I'm just trying to play (but) there is not much value in just going through the experience any more. I've got to perform."

He believes he could perform successfully even with the added pressure that comes with trying to win so that he'd be financially secure for his family.

This year, he has earned more than $34,000 on the challenger circuit. His biggest purse was $7,200 in January when he won the Waikoloa in Hawaii for a second time, beating Cecil Mamiit in the final.

It's his only title in five tournaments this year, but Goldstein is encouraged.

"When you're playing well, it's rewarding and fulfilling," he said. "As long as I'm playing this well I'm going to keep playing if I'm having good success."

Success was mostly what Goldstein had in the first two years after he graduated from Stanford. He won a career-best 20 matches on the ATP circuit and finished 2000 with his second top 100 ranking in a row.

He also earned a career-best $258,043 in 2000, when he made the third round at Wimbledon for the second year in a row.

That was expected of Goldstein, who in 1994 was the first in 45 years to win back-to-back titles at the USTA Boys 18s Championship. Expectations grew after he left Stanford as the first player to lead his team to four NCAA titles.

But Goldstein found over the last few years that he has to toil his way to the top. He played entry-level pro tournaments that earned him ATP points while in college. His decision to play at Stanford while earning a degree in human biology stunned tennis observers who expected him to skip college. So he turned pro without much fanfare.

"I don't know what's the public's expectations of me," he said "but I don't need the fanfare."

But he just might end up as the center of attention if he's successful at turning his game around.

smucav 06-17-2005 05:07 AM

Goldstein in the NYT:

Have Racket, Will Travel for Ticket to the Show

Fee 06-17-2005 11:33 AM

Looks like Paul is going to be in the W. main draw, even if he loses his final qualie round (playing right now). There are two spots, and he is currently in the second spot. Hope he can make something happen if he does get in.

(Is it my imagination, or have a few posts disappeared from this thread?)

smucav 06-18-2005 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fee
Looks like Paul is going to be in the W. main draw, even if he loses his final qualie round (playing right now). There are two spots, and he is currently in the second spot. Hope he can make something happen if he does get in.

He was placed in the draw v. #33 Olivier Rochus.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...3&postcount=76

Fee 06-20-2005 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smucav

This is a very good article, by the way. I finally got around to reading it. Thanks for the link.

smucav 06-20-2005 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fee
This is a very good article, by the way. I finally got around to reading it. Thanks for the link.

Poor Goldstein, still playing so he can qualify for the pension plan.

Fee 06-21-2005 12:07 AM

This is the guy who should be getting wildcards into US tournaments, not Donald Young.