MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Non-Tennis (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Simpsons Thread (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=339521)

Droog 09-15-2013 06:48 PM

The Simpsons Thread

I'm just going to come out and say it. The Simpsons (golden age) is not only the greatest TV comedy, but the greatest TV show full stop.

Let this be a thread for Simpsons fans to share our favourite moments, quotes, pictures and clips from this once great show.

Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
Smithers: You are noble and poetic in defeat, sir.

motorhead 09-15-2013 09:14 PM

Re: The Simpsons Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Droog (Post 18164889)

Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
Smithers: You are noble and poetic in defeat, sir.

:haha:

B-Nard 09-15-2013 09:51 PM

During its prime, it was arguably one of the greatest written TV shows in history. Homer watching Twin Peaks was lovely.

scarecrows 09-15-2013 09:58 PM

Pratik 09-16-2013 04:10 AM

Htom Sirveaux 09-16-2013 05:03 AM

So which era was best?

1,2 - Brooks, Groening, Simon
3,4 - Jean, Reiss
5,6 - Mirkin
7,8 - Oakely, Weinstein
9+ - Scully and then I have no idea (can't imagine anyone will pick this anyway)

I prefer Mirkin's years by far, but the Jean/Reiss years were classics in their own way. Wasn't crazy about the Oakely/Weinstein years, which is funny because I loved the episodes they wrote before they became showrunners. But they still produced several great episodes, and those are clearly also 'classic' Simpsons years unlike the garbage that followed.

Edit: Forgot to rate 1 and 2. Find season 1 pretty unwatchable unless you're looking for how it all got started. Season 2 feels a lot like slightly conservative and raw Jean/Reiss to me, and I'd actually always assumed that they were showrunners for this year too. The second half of that season is where I think The Simpsons really took off.

scarecrows 09-16-2013 12:16 PM

ProdigyEng 09-16-2013 12:18 PM

Peak Simpsons >>>

Droog 09-16-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pratik (Post 18173137)

"See you in hell, candy boys!" That was such a perfect parody of every over the top 80's action film lol

Droog 09-16-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Htom Sirveaux (Post 18173401)
So which era was best?

1,2 - Brooks, Groening, Simon
3,4 - Jean, Reiss
5,6 - Mirkin
7,8 - Oakely, Weinstein
9+ - Scully and then I have no idea (can't imagine anyone will pick this anyway)

I prefer Mirkin's years by far, but the Jean/Reiss years were classics in their own way. Wasn't crazy about the Oakely/Weinstein years, which is funny because I loved the episodes they wrote before they became showrunners. But they still produced several great episodes, and those are clearly also 'classic' Simpsons years unlike the garbage that followed.

Edit: Forgot to rate 1 and 2. Find season 1 pretty unwatchable unless you're looking for how it all got started. Season 2 feels a lot like slightly conservative and raw Jean/Reiss to me, and I'd actually always assumed that they were showrunners for this year too. The second half of that season is where I think The Simpsons really took off.

For me it has to be season 3 through to 9 with my personal favourites being 4, 5 and 8.

I definitely agree that half way through season 2 is where they really hit form.

Droog 09-16-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowManyTimes (Post 18176737)
Peak Simpsons >>>

lol it doesn't get old.

Homer: Barney's movie had heart, but Football In The Groin had a football in the groin.

Droog 09-16-2013 02:09 PM

Interesting video.

ProdigyEng 09-16-2013 02:42 PM

Can't forget the movie.

The tv series had been dry for a few years but they did a good job on the movie.

motorhead 09-16-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Droog (Post 18177937)
Homer: Barney's movie had heart, but Football In The Groin had a football in the groin.

:haha: which then went on to win the academy awards in the episode

Pratik 09-16-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowManyTimes (Post 18178585)
Can't forget the movie.

The tv series had been dry for a few years but they did a good job on the movie.