MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Gustavo Kuerten Message Board (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Get to know Guga's hometown (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=3097)

Ace Tracker 11-28-2002 04:04 AM

Get to know Guga's hometown

Florianopolis, the capital of the State of Santa Catarina, is located on the west coast of the Ilha (island) de Santa Catarina and is linked to the mainland by the longest suspension bridge in Brazil, the Hercilio Luz Bridge.

The city was first setlled by Spaniards in 1542, but by 1675 the Portuguese took control of the island. During the 19th century a considerable immigration of non-Portuguese peoples occurred. Germans arrived as early as 1829 and came in great numbers during the 1850s, settling not only in Florianopolis, but also along the valleys in the mainland. Later other waves of immigrants from Italy, Poland, and Russia arrived in Santa Catarina to build new lives.

Today Florianopolis is a busy commercial center. Industries produce metallurgical and electrical communications equipment, pharmaceuticals, plastics, and perfume.

Surfing is a serious activity there. So much so that they built a monument to commemorate all the great surfers that have come from this area.

Another Brazilian hero from this area is "Guga", the tennis star.

Lee 11-28-2002 04:48 PM

Thanks for the article and beautiful pics.:)

Dissident 11-28-2002 06:51 PM

Oh, I LOVE that place.
Ill be these vacations, for a week or so.
The atmosphere is awesome. And its so beautiful.
Thanks Ace! :)

Lee 11-28-2002 06:54 PM

I envy you, Dissident!

Dissident 11-28-2002 06:57 PM

Oh, Ill take some pictures and show you. :)
And´you should come to Brasil sometime. There are many beautiful places to visit. ;)

Lee 11-28-2002 07:01 PM

I love to but it cost a fortune and I don't speak Portugese.

Jorge 11-28-2002 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lee
I love to but it cost a fortune and I don't speak Portugese.
but the people who works on tourism at Florianopolis speaks english;) Besides you can learn some português!

Daniel 12-04-2002 02:02 PM

nice article and pics :)

Dissident 12-04-2002 11:56 PM

My mother is there right now. :mad:
I had to stay at home. :fiery:
Because of college, which didnt finish just yet. :mad: :fiery:

Ill be there in February still, though. :D

Lee 12-05-2002 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dissident
My mother is there right now. :mad:
I had to stay at home. :fiery:
Because of college, which didnt finish just yet. :mad: :fiery:

Ill be there in February still, though. :D

*hug* *hug*

hail2guga 12-06-2002 01:16 AM

I didn't know Germans migrated to Florianopolis. That explains why Guga is a German descent.

Well, guga lives in a beautiful town. It looks very metro.

Jorge 12-07-2002 04:54 AM

if i am not wrong Guga's last name in german is written "Kürten".
does anybody knows if is correct this?

TennisHack 12-25-2002 02:28 AM

I tried to pick an appropriate thread to pose this question and/or comment . . .

I'm watching my US Open tapes, and have made it to the 4RD match against Schalken. JohnnyMac and Bill Macatee, I believe, were talking about Guga and Larri being close because of all the things they've had to endure over the years -- including Guga's father having a heart attack and dying on the court?! :eek: Did I understand that correctly?!

Dissident 12-25-2002 02:40 AM

Oh, that story...
Aldo Kuerten was referreing a match back in Santa Catarina, and he died of a heart attack.
Some time before he died, he asked his friend Larri to coach his son Guga, who he thought would have a bright future. But only if he had the best one around to coach him. Passos said to Aldo that Guga was still too young, but that he would contact the boy as soon as he thought he could start.
He kept the promise, and when Guga was around 14 or 15, Larri went to him and revealed Aldo´s will. That mission made the two almost like father and son, and that tight relationship is indicated by both of them as one of the main reason of their success.
I hope that helps. :)

TennisHack 12-25-2002 03:37 AM

Thanks, Dissident, yes that helps. I was just listening idly as I wandered the board and I had to rewind and make sure I heard JMac correctly.

This has been a wonderful match. Schalken is really growing on me :o