MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Non-Tennis (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Russia to arrest openly gay tourists. (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=305249)

Nunyabeezwax 07-11-2013 09:16 PM

Russia to arrest openly gay tourists.

Quote:

Russia Says It Will Arrest Openly Gay Tourists

Thinking of taking a vacation to Europe this summer? If a trip to iconic city of Moscow or the edgier St. Petersburg is on your bucket list, an anti-gay law recently passed in Russia may have you thinking again. It is now outlawed to be ‘out and proud.’

In a throwback to the country’s authoritarian ruling, Russian president Vladimir Putin has signed a controversial law that punishes people for “homosexual propaganda.” The law fines people—including tourists—up to 200,000 rubles ($6,240 CDN) for “propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations.” For Canadians—where same-sex marriage is legal—it is unfathomable that Russia’s laws permit the government to arrest and detain gay, or pro-gay, foreigners for up to 14 days before they would then be expelled from the country.

---

According to Voice of Russia, any display of affection between same-sex couples could cause a “distorted understanding” that gay relations and heterosexual relations are socially equivalent, and risk spreading Western liberalism. Putin claims the law doesn’t discriminate against LGBT people, but rather—in an argument riddled with faulty logic—is there to “protect children from pedophilia.”

---

And how are these new laws going to impact tourism and the world’s spotlight on the upcoming 2014 Winter Games in Sochi? Will LGBT visitors—or anyone who embraces the gay community—want to visit the games? While Russia’s laws stigmatize and target the gay community, Brazil’s Ministry of Tourism is working to encourage the LGBT community to visit. Brazil, which is hosting the 2016 Summer Olympic Games, as well as the 2014 World Cup.
http://election.democraticunderground.com/10023226296

If I were a gay Olympian and I won a medal you can bet I would wear a rainbow at the medal ceremony. Let the world watch Russia arrest an Olympic medalist.

buddyholly 07-11-2013 09:24 PM

Re: Russia to arrest openly gay tourists.

I was going to visit Moscow this summer, but to protest Putin's discrimination policies I have switched to a Ugandan safari.

Nunyabeezwax 07-11-2013 09:49 PM

Are they going to arrest the sky when a rainbow forms after a good rainfall?

Echoes 07-11-2013 09:57 PM

Forza Putin ! Great decision ! :worship:

Pirata. 07-11-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

According to Voice of Russia, any display of affection between same-sex couples could cause a “distorted understanding” that gay relations and heterosexual relations are socially equivalent, and risk spreading Western liberalism. Putin claims the law doesn’t discriminate against LGBT people, but rather—in an argument riddled with faulty logic—is there to “protect children from pedophilia.”
:superlol:

What a piece of work this Putin. IOC and FIFA giving them the Olympics and World Cup, what a joke.

Punky 07-11-2013 11:10 PM

what a lame gov who still think they are a super power, keep living in the middAmazing Democracyle ages, what next arrest black ppl or something?

Amazing Democracy

keep on focus on the good things instead of russia real and bugger problems

Nunyabeezwax 07-11-2013 11:17 PM

Well I think this raises a host of issues at the upcoming Olympics. Athletes bring family and friends as support. If an athlete brings, I dunno, his gay brother and partner, do they have to do everything they can to appear as straight as possible? What if a gay athlete discusses his or her sexuality in an interview? The timing of this, I am sure, was deliberate so as to ensure that it was too late to change host countries, not that the IOC would have anyway, and I'm not even saying they should.

But there are a ton of hypotheticals for next years Winter Olympics.

Brick Top 07-11-2013 11:47 PM

Respect for Russia!

Pirata. 07-11-2013 11:48 PM

:facepalm:

buddyholly 07-11-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pirata. (Post 16748769)
:superlol:

What a piece of work this Putin. IOC and FIFA giving them the Olympics and World Cup, what a joke.

You don't really think they "gave" them do you?

But whether the Russian people paid more than the Qatar sheikhs, I am not sure.

rocketassist 07-11-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Echoes (Post 16748593)
Forza Putin ! Great decision ! :worship:

Assuming this is sarcasm.

buddyholly 07-11-2013 11:54 PM

Don't assume anything, where this poster is concerned. No matter how bigoted.

Punky 07-11-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketassist (Post 16750169)
Assuming this is sarcasm.

i doubt it

Vanity 07-11-2013 11:58 PM

:o No words. Aren't most Russians supposed to be atheists??

Brick Top 07-11-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanity (Post 16750273)
:o No words. Aren't most Russians supposed to be atheists??

Nope.