MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Channel Open (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=299)
-   -   Main Draw (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=28973)

Tricky_Forehand 02-19-2005 09:48 PM

Main Draw

It came out when I left apparently. Sometime between when Fee called and now :p

LOVING Alex's Draw.

Singles--1st round

(1)Tommy Haas vs. (WC)Donald Young
(Q)vs. Davide Sanguinetti
Jeff Morrison vs. Christophe Rochus
(Q) vs. (5)Kevin Kim
(4)Taylor Dent vs. Wayne Arthurs
Justin Gimelstob vs. Kristof Vliegen
(Q) vs. Glenn Weiner
Yen-Hsun Lu vs. (8)Lars Burgsmuller

(6)Irakli Labadze vs. (WC)Alex Kuznetsov
Wesley Moodie vs. Giovanni Lapentti
Tomas Behrend vs. Mark Philippoussis
(WC)Brendan Evans vs. (3)Mario Ancic
(7)Kenneth Carlsen vs. James Blake
ALEX BOGOMOLOV, JR. vs. Jeff Salzenstein
Janko Tipsarevic vs. Jan-Michael Gambill
(Q) vs. (2)Vince Spadea

Deboogle!. 02-19-2005 11:01 PM

Re: Main Draw (coming soon)

It is headed towards that area, my mom has friends that are there and they told her their vacation is being ruined by rain lol

Mon-Wed look pretty bad and even after that the weather is only in the low 60s (which in the dryness of the climate down there is a little chilly for tennis) - the night matches will be really cold probably. Hopefully they get the tourney in successfully... but it's a little too early for that area by a few weeks, unfortunately :(

Leena 02-19-2005 11:07 PM

Yes, I've always wondered why Scottsdale has these tournies so early...

They had a golf tournament before in late February where it snowed.

Tricky_Forehand 02-19-2005 11:14 PM

I checked the weather forecast for the week and it looks like this storm will last all week here and in Scottsdale :mad: . I also don't see why a desert tourney is held in February. i've never been to Arizona but I know that for the 14 years that I lived in So Cal high desert...weather was always shitty till mid-March it seemed.

Fee 02-20-2005 12:20 AM

Wow, no rain checks at this tournament. What a rip...

Okay, someone call the tournament (480-922-0222), press 0 for the tournament office, and ask for the Media Center or press room. Ask them about the draw. I just called and asked the woman who answered the phone and she said that it wouldn't be done until tomorrow because they are still doing qualifying. When I pointed out that the fact sheet said the draw would be done Saturday at 5, she stammered a bit, then said, nope, tomorrow. Perhaps a different voice should call them....

Their own website says the Singles draw will be made on Saturday.

jole 02-20-2005 01:24 AM

Re: Main Draw

Haha, Labadze vs. Kuznetsov. God, I'd love to see Alex win this.

Deboogle!. 02-20-2005 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fee
Wow, no rain checks at this tournament. What a rip...

What do you mean?

I went last year when one of my sessions was rained out. I had three tickets, they let me exchange 1 of them for the next day's day session and two of them for the night session (so my mom could come with me)... they were very kind and accomodating.

If you meant something else, my bad :o

Nice draw, but too bad for Donald.... would be nice to see him get a soft 1st round draw so that he could get his first win.

Fee 02-20-2005 02:28 AM

Website says no rainchecks.

Jeff Morrison said that Donald Young could be in danger if he keeps getting these wildcards and losing the matches. It could kill his confidence and ruin him like it did to a few other young prodigies in the past. He mentioned a name specifically, but I cannot remember who the heck it was.

Leena 02-20-2005 02:30 AM

Exactly. Playing against competition that's far superior to you can only hurt things. Especially for a young kid.

This draw rather sucks. Someone like Dent is gonna win.

Fee 02-20-2005 02:43 AM

You're probably right Leena, Taylor seems to be the healthiest person in the draw too...

Tommy - lingering back soreness
Gimelstob - back injury a few weeks ago
Philippoussis - torn muscle a month ago
Blake - broken toe
Tipsarevic - was it a wrist injury?
Spadea - shoulder injury

Alex B. hasn't won much (anything?) this year and his wife may or may not be in the hospital.
JanMike did okay in Memphis and is playing better, so he might do okay if he doesn't have to play before noon.

How about Kevin Kim v Taylor Dent in one semi and Ken Carlsen v Mario Ancic in the other? Yikes.

smucav 02-20-2005 02:54 AM

It does seem kind of a waste to keep giving wild cards (although I know this is only the 2nd) to Donald Young when someone who may actually be able to win a match (Scoville Jenkins who came within 2 points of beating a top 75 player last week in a very tight three set match) only gets a wild card into the qualifying. With a wild card and a decent draw (particularly in a weaker field like Scottsdale) someone like Jenkins could win a match or two (and combined with his satellite results) get his ranking up enough to get into events on his own.

Fee 02-20-2005 02:57 AM

I agree. I would love to see Sco get some good results and get into the game. He seems like such a decent guy.

Scotso 02-20-2005 03:00 AM

good luck:

Jeff Morrison
Christophe Rochus
Kristof Vliegen
Lars Burgsmuller
Alex Kuznetsov :D
Giovanni Lapentti
Brendan Evans :D
Mario Ancic
Jeff Salzenstein
Janko Tipsarevic
Jan-Michael Gambill
Vince Spadea

Deboogle!. 02-20-2005 03:41 AM

Sco and Donald both seem like great kids and I hope they have bright futures. In some sense, playing tough players might be good for them b/c it helps them evaluate where they're at and they can really go out there with no expectations and no pressure and just play freely, but I see what you guys are saying that at the same time it could hurt their confidence. I hope that's not the case, though. Unfortunately, with wildcards, there's a little more to it than who might be the most deserving, it seems to have a lot to do with politics and stuff like that sometimes, which is too bad :(

Fee, it said no rainchecks both on the website, and on my tickets, last year - but when they actually completely cancelled a session, they were very kind about giving me new tickets to a different session, and the seats were almost just as good. The rain on my vacation was disappointing, but the tournament did a really good job of accomodating everyone, from what I saw anyway :)

Fee 02-20-2005 04:32 AM

Glad to hear that Deb, hopefully the new management will take care of the tennis fans this year too.

And, I thought I had read somewhere that Tipsarevic was nursing an injury, but now I can't find it. He was on the alternate in Brazil this week, but he did not play for some reason.