MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jimmy Connors hints relationship with Chris Evert ended with pregnancy and abortion (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=262938)

Tennis Fool 05-04-2013 07:24 PM

Jimmy Connors hints relationship with Chris Evert ended with pregnancy and abortion

All the talk on Tennisforum.com

Jimmy Connors: 'Youthful passion' left Chris Evert pregnant with our love child... but the timing was bad for her tennis future

New book, 'The Outsider,' offers many juicy tennis tidbits. But fans will devour the section about the sport's first couple.

By Corky Siemaszko / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Published: Wednesday, May 1, 2013, 4:31 PM
Updated: Wednesday, May 1, 2013, 10:37 PM

The secret that ended the star-crossed romance between tennis greats Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert has finally been revealed.

In a new memoir, Connors strongly hints that his then-19-year-old fiancée got pregnant and had an abortion shortly before they were supposed to tie the knot in 1974.

“An issue had arisen as a result of youthful passion and a decision had to be made as a couple,” Connors writes in “The Outsider.”

Connors said he wanted to “let nature take its course” and accept responsibility “for what was to come.” But Evert, who was raised in a devout Catholic home, made a different call.

“Chrissie . . . made up her mind that the timing was bad and too much was riding on her future,” wrote Connors.

Connors, who had been staying in a Los Angeles apartment with his pal, fellow short-fused legend Ilie Nastase, said he was miffed when Evert called to say she had decided the matter for both of them.

“Well, thanks for letting me know,” Connors claims he told Evert. “Since I don’t have any say in the matter, then I guess I’m just here to help.”

The romance between Connors, the reigning bad boy of tennis, and Evert, who was America’s tennis sweetheart, had played out in public and captured the country’s imagination as both won tournament after tournament.

But Connors, who was barely 22 at the time, had been harboring deep misgivings about getting married. And that phone call from Evert shook him badly.

Connors said he suggested to Evert they “take a step back and think about giving this a little more time.”

Evert was apparently thinking the same thing.

“OK, if that’s what you think,” she replied coldly, Connors recounted. “I’ve got a match tomorrow. Not a problem.”

And that, Connors claims, “was it.”

“It kept going back to the same old question: Can two number ones exist in the same family?” he wrote.

There was no immediate comment from Team Evert to Connors’ stunning revelation about the fabled romance and its demise.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/yo...#ixzz2SLyRJ0Fe

Motoflou 05-04-2013 07:46 PM

Re: Jimmy Connors hints relationship with Chris Evert ended with pregnancy and aborti

Omg Dramz!

haha, but seriously, it's so weird how these things come up so many years later.

Whiznot 05-04-2013 07:55 PM

Re: Jimmy Connors hints relationship with Chris Evert ended with pregnancy and aborti

In tennis "love" means zero. What a sad end.

Tennis Fool 05-04-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Motoflou (Post 15000394)
Omg Dramz!

haha, but seriously, it's so weird how these things come up so many years later.

Without Chrissie's permission:

" In his book, Jimmy Connors has written about a time in our relationship that was very personal and emotionally painful," Evert said in a statement released to Reuters on Saturday through her agent Lawrence Frankopan at StarWing Sports.

"I am extremely disappointed that he used the book to misrepresent a private matter that took place 40 years ago and made it public, without my knowledge. I hope everyone can understand that I have no further comment."

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/0...0DL05G20130504

SliceAce 05-04-2013 08:08 PM

I think of Jimmy Connors as one of the biggest a-holes in tennis but here it's Chris Evert who comes off as a huge B!tch. I feel bad for him, though obviously a woman like that is better off with some other poor sap. No surprise she's been divorced four times now to 3 other poor saps.

SliceAce 05-04-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennis Fool (Post 15000722)
Without Chrissie's permission:

" In his book, Jimmy Connors has written about a time in our relationship that was very personal and emotionally painful," Evert said in a statement released to Reuters on Saturday through her agent Lawrence Frankopan at StarWing Sports.

"I am extremely disappointed that he used the book to misrepresent a private matter that took place 40 years ago and made it public, without my knowledge. I hope everyone can understand that I have no further comment."

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/0...0DL05G20130504

She didn't get his permission to get an abortion :stupid: so I think he's entitled. Of course all the WTA feminists will come out and whine about the big man picking on the poor girl and how she has the right to do whatever she wants at any time for any reason with no regards to what MEN think, but the sane ones of us left know the truth.

Looner 05-04-2013 08:11 PM

This is surely off-topic material.

Sri 05-04-2013 08:12 PM

Cheap way to sell a book. Some things are kept private.

Tennis Fool 05-04-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Looner (Post 15000882)
This is surely off-topic material.

Why? Agassi's book and his meth addiction were discussed here?

asmazif 05-04-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiznot (Post 15000538)
In tennis "love" means zero. What a sad end.

but one (seriously amazing) theory for the origin of "love" in tennis is the French calling the score 0 "egg", as it looked like a duck egg. the English misheard this form of scoring, believing "l'oeuf" to be "love".

so, to sum up in somehow relevant terms, love = egg. tennis = ...baby?

Mong Mong 05-04-2013 08:19 PM

This was AP a while back in TF. I think that's kind of insensitive. That's a private matter.

Alex999 05-04-2013 08:24 PM

this doesn't really belong in GM but I don't mind it. When I was a kid I was in love with Evert. I thought she was the most beautiful woman in the world. oh, I was in love with Blondie (Debbie Harry) too :lol: (I was 11 yo :secret:). I hated Connors :cool:.

Lopez 05-04-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SliceAce (Post 15000850)
She didn't get his permission to get an abortion :stupid: so I think he's entitled. Of course all the WTA feminists will come out and whine about the big man picking on the poor girl and how she has the right to do whatever she wants at any time for any reason with no regards to what MEN think, but the sane ones of us left know the truth.

Considering the effect of her giving birth at that time in her life and career, I think it's safe to say that she probably made the right call and it was definitely her call to make.

Sillyrabbit 05-04-2013 08:30 PM

It'd be nice to study how the responses in this thread differ from the responses on TF :lol:

SliceAce 05-04-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lopez (Post 15001122)
Considering the effect of her giving birth at that time in her life and career, I think it's safe to say that she probably made the right call and it was definitely her call to make.

They were both multi-millionaires already, they could have easily paid someone to raise the kid 24/7 for the rest of his/her life and it wouldn't have made a dent on their finances or careers. Purely selfish decision.