MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Announcements, Site Rules & FAQ (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   A new appeal moderator (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=261442)

RagingLamb 05-01-2013 02:34 AM

A new appeal moderator

The need for an appeal moderator

In order to ensure that MTF members have a neutral person to handle their appeals, we would like to appoint a new appeal moderator. To ensure that the appeal moderator represents the members and is independent of the current mods, we wish to have an appeal moderator who is elected by the members. The appeal moderator will be unable to infract or ban members.

There are further advantages to having an appeal moderator (as opposed to having members appeal their own bans and infractions). First, by handling a number of appeals, the appeal moderator will be far more experienced than any single member in appealing bans and infractions. Second, by being aware of all past appeal decisions, the appeal moderator will be in a far better position than any single member to assess whether the rules have been applied fairly and consistently across all cases. Third, because of his or her extensive involvement with the rules and how they affect the members, an appeal moderator will be in an excellent position to point out what areas need improvement.

The procedure for electing the new appeal moderator

Quote:

1. If you would like to be the appeal moderator, please indicate this by posting in the current thread. Any current member (other than a current moderator) can be the appeal moderator. Please also indicate any feedback or questions you have about this process.
  2. After there are enough volunteers, there will be a public poll to choose the new appeal moderator.
  3. The results of the poll will determine the appeal moderator
  4. The the appeal process will be governed by the below guidelines

The new appeal procedures

Quote:

What can be appealed:
  • Yellow cards
  • Red cards
  • Bans
  • Members CANNOT appeal the closing, moving, or merging of threads, and the act of editing a post by a mod.
  • A warning or infraction that has already been reviewed CANNOT be re-appealed

Who can appeal:
  • Any person who receives a warning, red card, or ban.
  • No appeals on behalf of other members will be accepted

How to appeal:
  1. Contact the appeal moderator via private message or askmtfmods@gmail.com within 1 week of receiving the warning, red card, or ban (only 1 infraction may be discussed per appeal)
  2. Explain what infraction you are appealing, and why you believe you did not break the rules, or why you should not have been warned, infracted, or banned.

The possible outcomes of an appeal:
  1. If the appeal moderator is not satisfied that you have a valid case, s/he will communicate his or her reasons to you, and at that point, the matter will be closed.
  2. If the the appeal moderator is satisfied that you have a valid case, s/he will present your case to the moderators and ask for the warning, infraction, or ban to be overturned.
  3. All moderators may review the request. However, the person who gave the warning/infraction/ban will not be involved in the decision to overturn the warning/infraction/ban
  4. After having considered the appeal moderator's request, if even one of the moderators agrees with the appeal moderator, the warning/infraction/ban will be overturned.
  5. The result of the appeal, as well as the reasons for the final decision, will be communicated to the member who has appealed.

Freak3yman84 05-01-2013 02:59 AM

Re: A new appeal moderator

Wonderful idea! :yeah: Thanks for implementing it, RagingLamb :)

I would like to be an appeal moderator. Although I may have an unruly past, I am over that. I do have an advantage, as I have successfully appealed my permaban which is very difficult to do.

I'm also a good representative of the posters because I have been through a period where I had many infractions, so I know what it's like.

I do have one question about this part:

Quote:

All moderators may review the request. However, the person who gave the warning/infraction/ban will not be involved in the decision to overturn the warning/infraction/ban
Shouldn't the mod be able to explain their reasoning for giving the infraction? Maybe just as an initial post, and then not be involved with the rest of the discussion? I feel it would help with the appeal process to know what the point of view the moderator had.

RagingLamb 05-01-2013 03:58 AM

^ Yes, that just means they won't influence the decision not to overturn.

In the end we may have to change whatever's not practical. but this part is meant to address any concerns over bias.

viruzzz 05-01-2013 04:40 AM

I like this, some kind of "pre-Judge" before the actual judges. I want to enter the "election".

Wing Man Frank 05-01-2013 07:25 AM

The issue here will be that it will become a popularity contest. I am not going to name names, but there are certain individuals who are either too stupid to do the job or far too emotionally invested to be involved.

The ideal candidate would be someone who is capable of separating themselves from the event and looking at it rationally and objectively.

I have no real suggestions, but implore you to ignore the nonsense names that will be mentioned here.

Jverweij 05-01-2013 12:01 PM

Excellent idea, count me in as a candidate

The Prince 05-01-2013 02:38 PM

I will be putting myself forward for this. Thank you very much. :)

Orka_n 05-01-2013 03:35 PM

And the MTF circus show continues. Appeal mod lol, now the moderators seem to be listening to the users but they sure didn't when it came to the matter of the ACC.

emotion 05-01-2013 03:39 PM

I'd do it

Mark Lenders 05-01-2013 03:40 PM

This was sort of my idea, so yeah I apply.

Punky 05-01-2013 03:47 PM

that is a great idea!!!!

count me in

Johnny Groove 05-01-2013 03:53 PM

We already had one. His name was EnriqueIG8 aka Javier. We saw what happened to him.

What is to say the same won't happen to whoever wins this?

Not to mention we also already had a moderator election about 2 years ago, and Getta won, and nothing was done.

How can we trust the mods at all at this point?

Mark Lenders 05-01-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Groove (Post 14954466)
We already had one. His name was EnriqueIG8 aka Javier. We saw what happened to him.

What is to say the same won't happen to whoever wins this?

Not to mention we also already had a moderator election about 2 years ago, and Getta won, and nothing was done.

How can we trust the mods at all at this point?

We can't and we don't. I'm fully aware that I'm applying to be a possible 'martyr' of sorts. Still, this position is not totally useless imo for reasons I'll explain to you on FB ;) Still yeah, whoever applies for this must accept that receiving the same sort of treatment Javi did is a possibility.

Mae 05-01-2013 04:01 PM

Gee sorry everyone, but since a vote can't be split up among people I can't vote!

BroTree123 05-01-2013 04:01 PM

I'll think about it. Depends how busy my schedule is.