MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Gustavo Kuerten Message Board (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Where are we all from? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=24207)

Lee 01-07-2005 11:20 PM

Where are we all from?

I know there are threads like this in non-tennis and some other players forum but since Guga has a very international fan base, I like to have one here.

Lee 01-07-2005 11:29 PM

Re: Where are we all from?

5 Attachment(s)
OK, I kick off this thread with myself ;)

First with the city I grew up, Hong Kong.

1. HSBC. This building is almost 20 years old but still one of the most modern building. No concrete for this baby. Steel beams and glass windows. This is the headquarter of Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation. If you're from Asia, you'll know how LARGE this corporation is. I used to work in one of it's subsidary so I spent sometime in this building.

2. Firework on Chinese New Year

3. Tsing Ma Bridge, connecting the airport to the mainland. When this bridge was built, it's the longest suspension bridge in the world.

4. The Bank of China Building (the one on the left) designed by world renown architect Ian Pai (?sp)

5. Vicotria Harbour and Hong Kong Island. The twin black buildings on the leftmost was where I used to work.

Lee 01-07-2005 11:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Then I moved to Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

1. The center street. Follow this street and head to the end of the picture and behind the small hill, there's were I used to live ;) And on both sides of the street before it cross the river, the China town.

2. New city hall (the pizza like building with blue glasses), the old city hall (the old building with big ben) and Olympic Plaza, the little park in front of old city hall. During 1988 Winter Olympics, medals were presented every night at the plaza.

3. The saddle like building is called Saddledome. It's was built for winter Olympics. The building next to it, connected with a yellow canopy walkway, is the Coral where Canada plays most of her DC ties. Yes, Guga was there.

4. The city of Calgary with Rocky Mountains as back drop. You will see the more pictures from the mountains in my next post.

Lee 01-07-2005 11:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The part of Rocky Mountains you saw in previous post is called Kananaski Country. There's cycling, horseback riding, hiking, golf and skiing there. The ski hill in the last picture is where the downhill and GS skiing held during 1988 Winter Olympics.

Lee 01-07-2005 11:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Beautiful lakes in Banff National Park (1 to 1 1/2 hours drive from Calgary)

1. Lake Louise
2. Morraine Lake
(both are glacier lakes, you can see the glacier above Lake Louise)
3. Vermilion Lakes

Lee 01-07-2005 11:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
And 3 hours drive from Calgary, the Columbia Icefield. There, you can ride one of those monsters up the glacier and collect ice-water from millions years ago.

Lee 01-07-2005 11:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Finally, where I am living. Scottsdale, Arizona. In the 2nd largest desert in North America. The Sonoran Desert.

1. The Pinnacle Peak. btw, the house in the foreground is on the market. Asking price is US$4.5 million. ;)
2. View from the Pinnacle Peak. My house is behind the ridge at the end of the road there.
3 & 4. Saguaro, a kind of cactus only found in Sonoran Desert. They are facing extinction and are protected. It's against the law to chop them down. And if you want to move it, you need to hire a horticulturist to do the job. If you want to buy one, it costs about US$50 per foot.

MisterQ 01-08-2005 12:17 AM

NEW YORK! :dance: here are pics:

New York City, where I live now.

Main Street of the small town where I grew up, in upstate New York, far from the city.

The beautiful Adirondack Mountains, near where I grew up.

PennyThePenguin 01-08-2005 01:16 AM

SNOOOOWWWW MOUNTAIIINNNSSS LAAAKKKEEESS!!!

LEE!!! I WAAANNNTTT!!! :hug:

tall_one 01-08-2005 02:46 AM

I'm from Iowa, home of the gold plated dome that is our state capital building in Des Moines

Iowa is pretty dull, mostly cows, pigs, soybeans & corn fields and most of it is very flat.
My home town is Sutherland, a town of 700 in northwest corner of the state.

(if you look in the very bottom left corner that is my grandma's house)

this is where the first settlers lived, it is now a prairie reserve

outside of town we do have a little swimming hole. it looks nice in this picture but it
has a habit of getting a green sludge on it in August

I spent my summers at my grandmothers cottage at Okoboji, not sure where my pics
of the cottage are, but here are a few of the lake. I love it there

there is even a small amusement park on the opposite side of the lake

I then went to college at Iowa State University in Ames, which has a very beautiful
campus, it even won a award from the american society of landscape architects

College of Design where i spent all of my time at during college

Now i live in Nevada, which is right next to Ames, which is a boring
little town of 6500 people. Its claim to fame is that is was voted the
26th best small town in America by some dumb agency :rolleyes:

lol, actually in that pic you can see where i live, the grey building next to the red and white one :)

a view out my back door

PennyThePenguin 01-08-2005 02:57 AM

nice nicki!!

PennyThePenguin 01-08-2005 03:19 AM

5 Attachment(s)
ok. here's mine. I wasn't able to find a lot of my OWN pics of the city and I wanted to showcase my own lousy photography skills, so... here you go.

the first pic's a view out my bedroom window of the neighbourhood. most singaporeans live in flats like these cos land is so scarce here. the tall ones in the back (the red ones) are 30 storeys. and new.

2nd pic's a very bad pic of the CBD skyline at night. and the bright white building's the fullerton hotel. u might've heard of it. there's a tall,white blob on the right, in front of a white building. that's the merlion. i know my photography SUCKS didn't have a tripod. and the black stuff's the singapore river. my position when taking the pic was in front of the Esplanade-Theatres on the bay... which is the 3rd pic, which wasn't taken by me.

4th pic's from the national orchid gardens, which is part of the Botanics Garden. we cultivate lotsa orchids here, come up with new hybrids and export our orchids all over the world. that's our national flowere by the way. a hybrid of course...Vanda Ms Joaquim

5th pic's from the singapore zoo. not from the night safari though, which is kinda widely publicised abroad. the pic shows the mandai reservoir which borders the zoo...just to show that singapore still has SOME nature.....

i'll have more when i'm not feeling so lazy.... to search for city pics...

Lee 01-08-2005 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PennyThePenguin
SNOOOOWWWW MOUNTAIIINNNSSS LAAAKKKEEESS!!!

LEE!!! I WAAANNNTTT!!! :hug:

Emmm! Calgary is about -20C right now..... The pic of Calgary with the mountains, you can see there was still snow covering on the top and it was June. :p

I♥PsY@Mus!c 01-08-2005 08:04 AM

Hi,Lee!!!I'm from Hong Kong 2!!! :wavey:
Did you take that photos by yourself? ;) So amazing!!! :eek:

Billabong 01-08-2005 12:59 PM

I'm from Quebec City, in Canada:D! I still live there today. I'll put pictures tomorrow, when I'll be back in Quebec City (the comp is too slow here;) ):)!

BTW Awesome pics guys:D!!!!!!