MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Rest Of The World (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   New Zealand Tennis (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=23868)

Human Washington 01-05-2005 03:46 AM

New Zealand Tennis

Controversy in the NZ vs Pakistan 2004 Davis Cup relegation play-off

Romanos wrote in the NZ Listener:

"Mark Nielsen amazed tennis followers by slamming his Davis Cup team-mate Simon Rea after New Zealand were humbled by Pakistan in Islamabad. The loss means New Zealand is now relegated to the Asia-Oceania zone group two section, along with Iran and Lebanon."

[What followed, I think quite definitely deserves the title of "Internal Wrangling", (a term most regularly used to describe the machinations of a touring Pakistan Cricket squad) as William Ward, a non-playing member of the squad in Pakistan, told everyone in hearing distance he thought he should have played the final rubber. ]

Romanos continues :
"In tennis terms, that's as low as you can go.Nielsen won both his singles, but Rea lost his and the pair lost the doubles in quick time. Nielsen seemed to feel that because in the reverse singles he won a long five-setter, while Rea lost his last match, also in five sets, he had the right to criticise Rea."He's played enough tennis matches at this sort of level to know what's required," said Nielsen. "New Zealand tennis has been looking for a No 2 to support me for a few years now and they just haven't found one."
This from a bloke who is ranked 583rd in the world. You'd think he was Roger Federer having to carry a nation on his shoulders.The problem isn't that New Zealand lacks a good No 2. It's that New Zealand lacks any good international male tennis players. I watched Nielsen flop in a crucial Davis Cup match against India in Wellington in 2002[Paes d. Nielsen 6 4 6 3 4 6 2 6 6 1] and didn't notice him blaming himself for costing New Zealand the tie."

http://www.listener.co.nz/default,2755.sm 1/4/05

It was certainly a shock to hear Nielsen rubbish Rea! So in a way, Romanos' harsh criticism of Nielsen may be justified. We like to hear this kind of considered opinion, but just not very often.

However, I’d just like to point out the nature of the opponent when Nielsen “flopped”. It was against a player who holds a 71-30 Davis cup record. A man who has 31 ATP doubles titles (3 Slams) and 1 singles title, and over 150 ATP level singles games under his belt.

How can a game in which Nielsen cam back from 2 sets down to even the match at 2-2 and force a fifth be labeled a flop? Who isn’t to say that Paes didn’t outplay Nielsen in the fifth, having regained his composure?

Rea’s loss to Khan, Aqeel (PAK ) 6-7(5) 6-2 6-3 3-6 2-6 in the Davis Cup deciding rubber looks the worse of the two, when you think that Rea was in the driving seat at 2 sets to one up. Especially so, if you consider that Khan has no titles- singles or doubles, and only a handful of ATP level matches (15).

Here is a nice piece of coverage about the Nielsen Paes match :
"The rain break lasted three hours and when the players returned to court the match was dramatically transformed with Nielsen taking four of the next five games to win the set 6-4 ... With his confidence rising by the minute Nielsen raced through the fourth set in 25 minutes, at one point winning nine successive points, winning 6-2 and levelling the match ... At that point the experienced Paes called a toilet break, changed his shirt, collected his thoughts and returned to win the fifth and deciding set 6-1, though it was much closer than the scoreline suggests. A disappointed Nielsen had no doubts that a call for a toilet break by Paes, who was rushing after being calm and methodical in the first two sets, was a tactical ploy that worked for the Indian. "I don't think he needed a toilet break. He was trying to interrupt my rhythm," Nielsen said ... "He (Paes) is a tremendous player. He has probably got the fastest hands in the world after Pat Rafter." ... Paes' first comment after his third win in three days was that New Zealanders should be proud of the way Nielsen played ... "It was closer than the scoreline suggests. He blew me off the court in that fourth set," Paes said

Human Washington 01-05-2005 03:48 AM

Re: New Zealand Tennis

Rankings and Recent Form of top NZ players

6 NZ players were involved in a playoff for two Wild Cards into the main draw of the 2005 Auckland Open (starts Jan 10). The other 4 players will receive entry into the qualifying draw.

One thing the round robin tournament showed was that the gap between the NZ players is not as big as is represented by their respective rankings. Current NZ men’s rankings:
ATP Men’s Singles Doubles
Cur Prv Cur Prv
Mark Nielsen 618 615 355 354
Adam Thompson 754 751 710 702
Simon Rea 962 958 690 682
Rubin Statham 1100 1094 - -
Lee Radovanovich 1152 1146 938 933
Matt Prentice 1463 1456 717 709
William Ward 1463 1456 1637 1630
Daniel King-Turner - - 1100 1093
G.D. Jones - - 1760 1757

Note: Simon Rea has thrown in his towel and given up the ghost. Alas, another NZ tennis player, who like Alistair Hunt, has prematurely ended his career. It brings a tear to my eye, when sports players of the caliber of cricketer Chris Cairns could still be representing NZ. How much fun is it sitting at home watching NZ getting caned on T.V, if you are still capable of playing?

Ward showed some big match potential, but ultimately a lack of consistency, by upsetting Nielsen and Thompson the two highest ranked players.
G.D Jones and Statham were the two players, which really shone for me though. G.D Jones’ game seems to have developed rapidly. His 4 wins, 1 loss record (to top seed Nielsen) canvassed his potential
Radovanovich was barred from entering the mini tournament on the grounds that he will not play professional tennis in 2005. Wildcards, NZ tennis stipulated, are only for those playing professionally in the coming year. Sounds good in practice. But what if Radovanovich, continuing his win at the NZ Residentials then qualified for the Heineken, picking up some ATP points and then decided to ply his trade on the futures and challenger circuits. It seems a strange decision to drain the shallow pool of quality players NZ has, when stronger domestic competition can only battle harden NZ players, upgrading their preparation as they try to break into The Show (ATP tour), or play Davis Cup.
Details of 2004 Residentials Final: Auckland third seed Radovanovich won the final 6-1, 7-6 (13-11) over fourth seed Matt Prentice of Wellington. "I wanted to be aggressive and just went for it "I went out there thinking it would be three sets, and that’s what happens every time we play," said Radovanovich. "I knew I could hold my serve and would have to take some risks on his serve when he was banging them down. In the second set I got over-anxious and tried to force the play a little. I was really nervous in the tiebreak."

Surely Radovanovich is a candidate for singles play this year in the Davis Cup?

Adam Thompson was the biggest disappointment, of the wild card playoff. He only had wins against King Turner, (the tournament bunny it turned out) and Statham. I hope he improves for the qualifying.

Statham had a good week at the NZ Residentials, where he lost in the semi-finals to Radovanovich. In the wildcard mini tournament, Statham beat King Turner, and Ward, but couldn’t get past form player Jones, or top seeds Thompson and Nielsen. I hope he does well in the actual Auckland tournament qualifying rounds.

Human Washington 01-14-2005 11:46 AM

Unfortunately Nielsen lost to Starace 6-4, 6-4
Then Nielsen complained hard: "I felt I played quite well. It's hard when you practise for three or four weeks with New Zealand guys and then go out there and play against the world's best. It's a big jump up."

He had a similar rant when he mouthed off about Simon Rea after last years Davis Cup relegation play-off in Pakistan.

GD Jones was dealt a whipping at the hands of Zabaleta.

Stuff.co.nz reported :" Aucklander and second wildcard G. D. Jones was the third Kiwi to have his wings clipped and despite losing 0-6 2-6 to Argentine Marianc Zabaleta drummed up plenty of home-crowd support in his first open appearance. "

Nielsen had a bit of a go at the young NZ tennis players of the future:
"There are a few young guys out there who have got talent...The biggest problem with living here in New Zealand is trying to get the kids to understand what they have to do and how they have to think, how hard they have to work to actually get as good as out there."

He said "common sense" and "discipline" were also missing.

"Professionalism is lacking. I think they have to go overseas. I think they have to go and really sink or swim."

Nielsen – who now spends much of his year playing and training in Japan – said he would continue playing in and for New Zealand and would like to be back at the Auckland international next year.

"The way I see it is I'm still No. 1 and the young guys have to step up and beat me. If they're not good enough to ... beat me I'll just keep on coming year after year."

koolnorman 04-08-2005 03:48 PM

Hey you must of seen the results of daniel tuner-king, they are amazing. He has recently been playing in the Israel Sat's:

Week 1 - second round

Week 2 - Final (runner up) :sad:

Week 3 - Semi Final

Week 4 - Quater final

With all those points added together to what he has at the mo, he should be like in the top 750 at least, well impressive. I really think he can make it big, if he carries on the form he has shown in the recent Sat.

Human Washington 08-01-2005 01:49 PM

Hey yeah King Turner has has a decent year so far. He's in the Davis Cup squad now as a doubles player, and currently competing in the states at the futures series there.
Israel was obviously a beneficial couple of weeks, but he's yet to go deep again in a futures since.

tennisgirl19 10-12-2005 04:42 PM

http://www.daviscup.com/results/tier...?tie=100006691 Results from the final of the zonal tie

http://www.daviscup.com/ties/tie.asp?tie=100007763 Information on their tie against Lebanon

:)

binkygirl 10-30-2005 01:24 AM

Whatever happened to that Kiwi player named Brett Steven or something like that? Last I heard, he was coaching other players. Maybe they ought to make his NZ Davis Cup captain.

koolnorman 12-30-2005 09:50 PM

I think daniel turner-king could be big for New Zealand. They have other players like the statem brothers who seem to be ok, but not rising that fast, but i think turner-king if he keeps on playing regulary could get into the top 500 easily.