MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   The Federer Express (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   ~-* MS 1000 Indian Wells BNP Paribas Open *-~ Rog in the Desert! QF loss vs Rafa (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=238513)

EnriqueIG8 03-06-2013 12:40 AM

~-* MS 1000 Indian Wells BNP Paribas Open *-~ Rog in the Desert! QF loss vs Rafa

Hi guys, I haven't been around much in the Fed forum lately but here's my first contribution in 2013 :)
Draw just got out, although he has Rafa in the QF and Ferru in SF I'm confident he can make his first final this year and perhaps defend his title!

DRAW
R1: BYE
R2: Istomin 62 63
R3: Dodig 63 61
R4: Wawrinka[18] 63 67 75
QF: Nadal[5] 46 26

Panthera 03-06-2013 12:59 AM

Re: ~-* MS 1000 Indian Wells BNP Paribas Open *-~ Rog in the Desert!

Nadal will play???? I heard he would skip Indian Wells...

EnriqueIG8 03-06-2013 01:04 AM

He is in the draw. I've watched an interview of him after his Acapulco win, saying that he should listen to his heart and feels that he keeps the matches going now. I think he is a 99% turn up to play in IW.

So chances are for Roger to play him again.

Panthera 03-06-2013 01:06 AM

Im always afraid of a match between Rafa and Roger, but is always nice to see a player like Rafa coming back to the big tournaments. Indian Wells can have great matches for sure :)

viruzzz 03-06-2013 02:00 AM

Again, i'm not exactly confident :lol:
BUT COME ON KING! :D

Kat_YYZ 03-06-2013 02:01 AM

Thanks, Javi :D
Come on, Roger! :cheerleader:

Fed_Ds 03-06-2013 03:43 AM

thanks for starting it

The draw :rolleyes:
Come on, Roger.
Fight, we believe in you
and want to see you draped in the spaghetti again :umbrella:

he has to make the semis to retain the #2 ranking, right? :armed:

Litotes 03-06-2013 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fed_Ds (Post 13863713)
thanks for starting it

Come on, Roger.
Fight, we believe in you

he has to make the semis to retain the #2 ranking, right?
:armed:

That depends upon what Murray does. He's 1355 points ahead of Murray, but defends 990 more. So he needs to be no less than 360 points worse. If Murray wins, he's #3 no matter what. If Murray loses the final, he needs to be in the SF. If Murray loses to Djokovic in the SF then #2 is safe for another two weeks regardless of Roger's result.

Go Roger! :D

StingSuperior 03-06-2013 05:33 AM

When I look at his draw I have mixed feelings. Downsides are obviously Benneteau in R3 who beat Roger only a few weeks ago in straight sets, and the fact that Nadal is in his quarter. But it could have been worse, since Ferrer is on his half rather than Murray. If he can push past Rafa in the QF, then with Ferrer winning his quarter over Berdych (would be tough to beat 2 opponents in one tournament who just beat you recently), I think he has a good chance to make the Final against either Nole or Andy. This is specualtion of course at this stage assuming seeds advance.

Kat_YYZ 03-06-2013 05:40 AM

duong 03-06-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panthera (Post 13862865)
Nadal will play???? I heard he would skip Indian Wells...

Nadal had denied that rumour, then he played great in the Acapulco final, "one of the greatest matches of his carreer" according to him (and according to me as well from my TV set he was huge in his strokes from both backhand and forehand), and he confirmed he would play Indian Wells.

He also played an exho against Del Po on monday just arriving from Acapulco, and he played well (lost 7-6 6-4).

We will see, he may be a little bit rusty but he looks great.

Personally I still prefer drawing him than Berdych : against Nadal in recent years Federer has always played well except one match in Miami, whereas he seems to have a big mental problem against Berdych.

And I'm happy that Fed didn't draw Murray's semi.

The one I don't like here is Denis Istomin probably in first round, he returned Fed's serve very well in the Olympics and he was in good form recently. He was my third worst choice for a first round. This surface is at a perfect pace for him and he defeated Ferrer in this tournament last year. I'm not a fan of Benneteau in second round either but on this surface and with the wind I think he could be less dangerous than indoors, but well, it's a second round ...

The third round might well be against Wawrinka ... not pleasant matches usually Stan has the game to trouble Fed when on his game and Fed often has to rely on his mental lapses ...

What I don't like either is that Berdych has an easy draw : he could get a lot of ATP points here once again, and he's the danger with Ferrer and in a lesser extent Nadal and Del Po, for the top-4 seed for the US Open.

duong 03-06-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Litotes (Post 13864129)
If Murray loses to Djokovic in the SF then #2 is safe for another two weeks regardless of Roger's result.

yes, and in that case if Federer doesn't lose in first round to Istomin or a qualifier (Gulbis ? :unsure: ), Murray would have to win Miami to get ahead of him after Miami as well.

SUKTUEN 03-06-2013 12:40 PM

Allez Roger!!

Roger the Dodger 03-06-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fed_Ds (Post 13863713)
thanks for starting it

Come on, Roger.
Fight, we believe in you

he has to make the semis to retain the #2 ranking, right? :armed:

Spaghetti? What did I miss? :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by StringSuperior (Post 33829322)
When I look at his draw I have mixed feelings. Downsides are obviously Benneteau in R3 who beat Roger only a few weeks ago in straight sets, and the fact that Nadal is in his quarter. But it could have been worse, since Ferrer is on his half rather than Murray. If he can push past Rafa in the QF, then with Ferrer winning his quarter over Berdych (would be tough to beat 2 opponents in one tournament who just beat you recently), I think he has a good chance to make the Final against either Nole or Andy. This is specualtion of course at this stage assuming seeds advance.

:lol: Interesting optimism! I will go with it! :yeah:

Good luck Wodgy, do the Dodgy! :banana:

Kyle_Johansen 03-06-2013 07:22 PM

Will be a tough tournament to win but he can certainly make the final if he gets by Nadal.

He plays better in tough draws.