MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Feedback, Suggestions & Questions (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   IPv6 (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=236545)

Slasher1985 02-28-2013 02:32 PM

IPv6
 
I have a really technical question here. I know this board is vBulletin. Just wanna ask, if a user connects using IPv6, what IP does the board read? Does it support the v6 IP, or does it see only the v4? I ask because I have IPv6 at home, whilst I have IPv4 at work and I am really curious as a programmer.

Thanks.:)

Mae 02-28-2013 10:29 PM

Re: IPv6
 
And you don't want to be accused of being a Double Account if you post at both work and home I suppose?

Slasher1985 02-28-2013 10:34 PM

Re: IPv6
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mae (Post 13766473)
And you don't want to be accused of being a Double Account if you post at both work and home I suppose?

Was not thinking of that actually, because how can it be a double account with one single account posting from multiple IPs?

Just trying to see how intelligent the boards are, and what would happen if I decided to completely scratch IPv4 and only use IPv6. Would I still be able to access the board?

Mae 02-28-2013 10:40 PM

Re: IPv6
 
I'm obviously not a programmer and I don't know how management here knows that it is one account if it is coming from more than 1 IP? You have now made me curious!

Slasher1985 02-28-2013 10:53 PM

Re: IPv6
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mae (Post 13766641)
I'm obviously not a programmer and I don't know how management here knows that it is one account if it is coming from more than 1 IP? You have now made me curious!

Of course it is. I may want to check for new posts from my laptop, or from my home computer, or from work, or from my new smartphone, or even from an internet cafe. All of them will have different IPs, yet my account is the same. The problem is that there a new IP protocol now, and my home computer ISP has moved towards it, and there are rumors of them sticking only to the new version and cutting IPv4 out in time. So, if they do that, will I be able to open this forum anymore? :D

Mae 03-01-2013 01:22 AM

Re: IPv6
 
Don't ask me! I always thought DAs were checked on by IP addresses. Obviously I'm wrong!

Kat_YYZ 03-01-2013 06:20 AM

Re: IPv6
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mae (Post 13768441)
Don't ask me! I always thought DAs were checked on by IP addresses. Obviously I'm wrong!

Two (or more) different user accounts constantly coming from one IP address is bad.

One account coming from many different IP addresses is okay... just means the person logs in from different places/travels.

Mae 03-01-2013 10:27 AM

Re: IPv6
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ (Post 13771313)
Two (or more) different user accounts constantly coming from one IP address is bad.

One account coming from many different IP addresses is okay... just means the person logs in from different places/travels.

You know me Kat I'm clueless as usual :o :facepalm: What determines a poster's account?

Time Violation 03-01-2013 11:39 AM

Re: IPv6
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mae (Post 13773098)
You know me Kat I'm clueless as usual :o :facepalm: What determines a poster's account?

Not sure what you're asking here :) Your account for example is "Mae", and anytime you login with your user and pass you are "Mae", though you may login from your home, internet cafe, work, airport - doesn't matter.

Now imagine a situation where you have three accounts, for example - "Mae", "Ema", and "Ame" all with different avatars, signatures, etc. looking like three posters to anyone. If they are all coming from the same address - for example from your home computer, that would be very suspicious, since it would mean you have two sisters who enjoy posting on MTF, or (more likely) that it's one user pretending to be 3 different people :)

Mae 03-01-2013 01:10 PM

Re: IPv6
 
That is exactly what I wanted to know! Thank you very much :D


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.