MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   The Brit Pack (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Barker Twins (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=22990)

ae wowww 12-17-2004 09:34 PM

Barker Twins

1 Attachment(s)
This doubles duo, I think deserve a thread. They recently signed a deal with Elesse, for their clothing. I saw them play for the first time at Bolton Challenger after they got a WC into main draw. They lost to Moodie/Fisher but played very well.

Good luck Richard & William!

ae wowww 12-21-2004 10:38 AM

Re: Barker Twins

Quote:

Originally Posted by ae wowww jt fan
This doubles duo, I think deserve a thread. They recently signed a deal with Elesse, for their clothing. I saw them play for the first time at Bolton Challenger after they got a WC into main draw. They lost to Moodie/Fisher but played very well.

Good luck Richard & William!

LOL perhaps not quite as popular as I first anticipated!!!

LiZpHaIr 02-04-2005 05:52 AM

Hmm...a cheap knockoff of the Brian Twins? I hate them too. >_>

ae wowww 02-04-2005 05:39 PM

Their shirts obviously show the methods of immediate injury protection (Rest; Ice; Compression; Elevation)! :lol:

Deboogle!. 04-04-2005 11:41 PM

OMG The Barker Twins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

RICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

I had no idea they were actually gonna give the pro tour a go! HOW EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh gosh, I wish them the BEST of luck. They are fantastic. And two lefties!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!

Oh, and I saw them for the first time when they played at Rice ;) Cuz I went there.... and graduated with them ;) Smart guys, REALLY smart guys. Both graduated with high honors - a very tough thing to do at Rice. And they were really popular, everyone liked them. I didn't know them personally b/c they weren't at my dorm, but they had really great reputations as really nice guys.

My only regret is that my friend and I didn't really "discover" them until right before graduation so we never got to really see them play much :fiery: :smash: :sad:

Deboogle!. 04-06-2005 04:40 AM

I just found this piece on the Barkers from a site of a guy that gave them an award when they graduated Rice. Their doubles records while they were there are just incredible! And the fact that they graduated with GPAs over 3.8 both of them is just RIDICULOUS. that is SO SO SO hard at Rice. And they both graduated with TWO majors! Unbelievable.
-----------------------

Although their academic credentials are virtually identical, it is on the tennis court where Richard and William Barker are, if anything, even more identical. Having each overcome sickness and injury during their Rice tenure, they won a national doubles championship and earned a national number 1 doubles ranking, by winning the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Indoor National Championships and advancing to the semifinals of both the ITA All-American and NCAA Championships. Their national doubles championship, the first at Rice in 55 years, earned for them All-America status and the honor of being named National Doubles Team of the Year.

They dominated college doubles for over a year, winning 58 of their last 61 matches, including a match win streak of 35 their junior year. Amazingly, in regular season play, they were undefeated in doubles throughout their years at Rice. Among the honors bestowed on them, they earned all-America honors and each was named WAC player of the week on several occasions, each was named WAC player of the month once, and Richard was honored as WAC player of the year in 2003.

They served as two of the tri-captains of the 2004 tennis team and as seniors, compiled an unblemished record of 13-0 in doubles, while leading their team to a record of 17-2 and a team-high national ranking of 5. During the semester spring break, as seniors they won the 115th annual Pacific Coast Doubles Championship, the most prestigious of all amateur doubles tournaments, among whose past winners are John McEnroe and Arthur Ashe.

RICHARD BARKER was a member of Baker College and at Rice, majored in Mathematical Economical Analysis and Managerial Studies. Having been named to the Dean's List several times, he was also named a Scholar Student-Athlete, an Academic All-American and earned a stellar 3.82 GPA. He served on the Honor Council at Rice and was a tutor and teaching assistant in Performance Psychology, assisting Rice students in pursuing their performance goals. In the community, Richard organized the "Inner-city fun day" series for underprivileged children. As a tennis player, he was WAC rookie of the year as a Freshman, and despite missing the majority of his sophomore year with a serious knee injury, he was ranked as high as 18th nationally in singles and was an All-American in doubles. An outstanding leader on the Rice tennis team, he was named the Arthur Ashe sportsmanship award winner for the region in 2002, and was respected as an ambassador of the university by coaches and peers alike.

WILLIAM BARKER was a member of Lovett College, and majored in Economics and Managerial Studies. He too, was named to the Dean's List several times while at Rice, and was a member of the Student Athletic Committee and was an academic All-American in 2003. His academic efforts earned him a very impressive 3.83 GPA. William found time to tutor fellow students, to be a Performance Psychology teaching assistant and to hold down an internship at Salomon Smith Barney. He also volunteered his time to teach tennis to children of various ages at the grass roots level. As a tennis player, he missed the majority of his Freshman season with illness and yet, went on to be ranked as high as 22nd in singles in the NCAA rankings, to go along with his number 1 national ranking in doubles. He earned All-American status in both singles and doubles as a Junior, a feat that had not been accomplished at Rice in three decades. A team captain, William was an inspiring leader on the Rice tennis team and was a major contributor to the team's national success.

Richard and William were born in Solihull, England, both are graduates of King Edward’s School in Birmingham, and both were a blessing to Rice as citizens and as athletes. They continued a great legacy in winning the Bob Quin Award and while identical in so many ways, they are each uniquely individual.

ae wowww 04-07-2005 09:33 PM

Found this, looks very interesting :yeah:

http://members.aol.com/quinmarti/hom...04barkers.html

ae wowww 04-07-2005 09:35 PM

Gotta be Dick & Willy :lol:

Hope they play DC :D

Deboogle!. 04-08-2005 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ae wowww
Found this, looks very interesting :yeah:

http://members.aol.com/quinmarti/hom...04barkers.html

LOL That's the same thing I posted the other day - awesome, huh?

it'd be GREAT to see them embraced by the GBR DC team. You guys could use a doubles team LOL! But I think they have a long way to go before they'd be considered for that...

ae wowww 04-08-2005 08:25 PM

Sorry Deb, didn't realise you'd posted it... embarassed now!

Deboogle!. 04-08-2005 11:49 PM

LOL That's ok it was a good read :) their record in college - both academically and tennis - is just astounding.

ae wowww 04-09-2005 07:42 AM

I know... I don't know how you excel in both! Must be sooo committed :eek:!

:hatoff:

Deboogle!. 04-09-2005 04:35 PM

PLUS they were very popular socially! Talk about being perfect :lol:

ae wowww 04-09-2005 07:20 PM

That's when you get hated though, for being so perfect ;)

Deboogle!. 04-10-2005 02:45 PM

well, lucky for them, they weren't :) I never heard a bad thing about either of them from anyone!