MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Will Federer or Nadal retire first? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=226050)

GrassMaestro 02-04-2013 03:49 PM

Will Federer or Nadal retire first?

I think Federer is going to play till he's 35, but will Rafa play till he's 30? Or will Rafa retire at 28-29 like other injury prone players like Rafter, Becker, Borg, Safin etc?

samo7266 02-04-2013 03:53 PM

Re: Will Federer or Nadal retire first?

Pretty sure they both want to retire at at the olympics in Rio in 2016. I think they'll both make it there as well; it would be fitting for them to go out of the game together.

TheFearlessOne 02-04-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samo7266 (Post 13318858)
Pretty sure they both want to retire at at the olympics in Rio in 2016. I think they'll both make it there as well; it would be fitting for them to go out of the game together.

I agree. Nadal and Federer will reach the Rio Olympics final, then play an epic five setter and they will both retire from tennis with the score tied 69-69 in the fifth set.

Sri 02-04-2013 04:00 PM

Nadal .. he has too many injury problems plus growing interest in other things (golf, poker, shakira etc.)

GrassMaestro 02-04-2013 04:23 PM

It would be the perfect ending.

Yves. 02-04-2013 04:24 PM

I can only answer this realistically after the South American swing.

For now I think Nadal. If he looks fit/healthy/motivated and wins many matches in Latin America, I say Federer. Because no way Nadal's going to retire at 30 (Rio 2016). For the sole reason Nadal will not retire outside of Spain (only exception being at Roland Garros).

dencod16 02-04-2013 05:01 PM

I think they will retire almost at the same time in 4-5 years TBH.

TennisPhan1 02-04-2013 05:43 PM

omg. tennis is going to suck ass so hard when both of them are gone. bah

A_Skywalker 02-04-2013 05:47 PM

Federer ofcourse, Nadal rested for 8 months, he will be fine.
And Rafa has better chance to win slams now than Fed.

Allez 02-04-2013 05:49 PM

What makes you "think" that Federer will retire at 35? What ridiculous speculation. I would not be surprised if he retired at the end of this year especially if GS results are not good. He has zero to prove anymore.

Mountaindewslave 02-04-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allez (Post 13320234)
What makes you "think" that Federer will retire at 35? What ridiculous speculation. I would not be surprised if he retired at the end of this year especially if GS results are not good. He has zero to prove anymore.

well Roger has said in interviews he 'hopes' to play until then, for that long..... maybe he wasn't being 100# seriously but he said it!

Nadal, who KNOWS. so many unknown variables with him, health, interest in the sport, other hobbies, fishing......

Time Violation 02-04-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allez (Post 13320234)

He said so himself many times, watch his interview last year in Rotterdam etc.

Litotes 02-04-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakkiller (Post 13318842)
I think Federer is going to play till he's 35, but will Rafa play till he's 30? Or will Rafa retire at 28-29 like other injury prone players like Rafter, Becker, Borg, Safin etc?

Borg injury prone? Surely you are joking. HE retired because he lost motivation, not because of injuries.

ApproachShot 02-04-2013 07:16 PM

I'm quite sure it will be Federer who retires first. I'm glad he's talked about competing in Rio - otherwise I would have thought he might have retired a year or two earlier. I'm happy that he looks to be around until 2016 at least (health permitting). At this stage I'd say he's aiming to end his career at the 2016 World Tour Finals, should he qualify that year.

With regards to Nadal it all depends upon his rehabilitation from injury. A part of the knee problem seems to be persistent and one wonders how many years he is willing to continue to play in pain. That said, I think we are likely to see Nadal for a couple more years on the circuit after Federer retires. But as with any prediction there are just too many variables - his health, motivation, standard of play, unknown factors etc.

Lestat 02-04-2013 07:20 PM

I thought the null was already retired :rolleyes: