MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Non-Tennis (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   **** Coins **** (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=224817)

ssin 02-01-2013 07:33 AM

**** Coins ****
 
2 Attachment(s)
After popular demand here is a thread dedicated to coins and coin collecting. Whether you like history, interesting stories, art, you like silver, gold, treasures, or you are simply a nutcase with a compulsive disorder called hoarding, you have found your place ;)

Since Punky as a true banker wanted to see a rare and valuable coin, this is what I currently got, a damn rare thing... more things to follow




Zeno augutus with Leo caesar, 476 477

Tremissis, Constantinopolis 476-477, AV 1.50 g. D N ZENO ET LI EO NOV CAES Pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust r. Rev. VICTORIA AVGVSTORVM Victory standing facing, holding wreath and cross on globe; in r. field, star. In exergue CONOB. Kent "Zeno and Leo, the most noble caesaris" in NC 1959 pl. 8, 9 (these dies). Depeyrot 107/2. RIC 907 (this coin cited).

Of the highest rarity, apparently only three specimens known of this variety and six of this
type of which this is the only one private hands. Reddish tone and about extremely fine


The entire story about the coin: http://www.coinarchives.com/a/lotvie...9dfcad0e819eb1

This one went at a recent auction for more than $16000. However, it is not true that this one is the only one in private hands. :aplot:

Here is mine, and it's 100% authentic:

ssin 02-01-2013 08:05 AM

Re: **** Coins ****
 
As many as 17 Roman emperors were born in what is today Serbia. I believe, although I am not certain, and I would have to check, that Italy is the only country with more emperors born on its soil.

Apart from that, there were many usurpers, self-proclaimed emperors who are forgotten in the depths of dark history.

Some of them managed to produce some coins, and the photo on my current avatar is one of them, Pacatianus. We probably wouldn't know anything about him if he hadn't issued a limited series of coins, silver antoniniani in Viminacium, town in Serbia today known as Kostolac.

Rare even in those times, they were melted after his rebellion, so less than 100 specimens of 7 types are known today, I used to have this one, but sold it recently. They are famous for their rarity and very much sought-after.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacatianus

Litotes 02-01-2013 08:12 AM

Re: **** Coins ****
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssin (Post 13254057)
As many as 17 Roman emperors were born in what is today Serbia. I believe, although I am not certain, and I would have to check, that Italy is the only country with more emperors born on its soil.

Apart from that, there were many usurpers, self-proclaimed emperors who are forgotten in the depths of dark history.

Some of them managed to produce some coins, and the photo on my current avatar is one of them, Pacatianus. We probably wouldn't know anything about him if he hadn't issued a limited series of coins, silver antoniniani in Viminacium, town in modern Serbia today known as Kostolac.

Rare even in those times, they were melted after his rebellion, so less than 100 specimens of 7 types are known today, I used to have this one, but sold it recently. They are famous for their rarity and very much sought-after.

Isn't that about the very first thing they did? I can't recall the exact date, but I remember the "Six-emperor year", one year with six different rulers - and all of them managed to mint coins. I guess coins were useful advertising those days. One of the few chances to let people know they had a new emperor.

ssin 02-01-2013 08:16 AM

Re: **** Coins ****
 
My top interest is Celtic coins. Celts were a people with great creativity and imagination, and great culture. What they lacked is military and organized hierarchical administration. They spread all over Europe from Britain to Serbia and Romania as the eastern Celtic outpost, but still you can trace the identical cultural characteristics in Britain and in Balkans, and it is seen on their coins as well. Romans conquered them almost everywhere, with notable exceptions such as today's Scotland ;) They had much gold, and in my view, the true rise of Rome begins when Romans plundered Celts and took their gold from them :) Caesar wrote about that, of course from the point of view of the winner in the war. History is always written by winners.



I love their coins, I will post some later on ;)

ssin 02-01-2013 08:21 AM

Re: **** Coins ****
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Litotes (Post 13254121)
Isn't that about the very first thing they did? I can't recall the exact date, but I remember the "Six-emperor year", one year with six different rulers - and all of them managed to mint coins. I guess coins were useful advertising those days. One of the few chances to let people know they had a new emperor.

It was a time of chaos in the Roman Empire, known as Crisis of the Third Century or the time of military anarchy. (However, all 6 of them were legitimate none was a true usurper ;)

You are right, it was the first thing to do, to legitimize as an emperor. Unfortunately many coins of obscure rulers vanished, few have left. The monetary policy of that time was also very interesting...

Time Violation 02-01-2013 09:59 AM

Re: **** Coins ****
 
Do you collect also as a business or just for fun? :) Some of those seem very expensive :eek:

Punky 02-01-2013 10:38 AM

Re: **** Coins ****
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssin (Post 13253833)
After popular demand here is a thread dedicated to coins and coin collecting. Whether you like history, interesting stories, art, you like silver, gold, treasures, or you are simply a nutcase with a compulsive disorder called hoarding, you have found your place ;)

Since Punky as a true banker wanted to see a rare and valuable coin, this is what I currently got, a damn rare thing... more things to follow


thanks u very much for this thread and for sharing, i must admit i never thought coins matter much, maybe bc im used to see so much money in our Safe Bank.

i see that every coin has a story behind it, i hope u and markus with share with us, it will Wiser us all :worship:

p.s if anyone of u need me to xsend u israeli coins, pls do ask:)

Mae 02-01-2013 11:55 AM

Re: **** Coins ****
 
You can certainly get a real education here at MTF and not just about tennis!

ssin 02-01-2013 12:38 PM

Re: **** Coins ****
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Time Violation (Post 13254849)
Do you collect also as a business or just for fun? :) Some of those seem very expensive :eek:

Mostly fun, but yeah I buy&sell these things too, and I did make some money out of that. There are people that do it as pure investment, I do try to buy and sell prudently but definitely the love and passion for the hobby come first.

I think my knowledge is sufficient for good investing in this stuff so that I never really consider putting any money in banks. I'm not a kind of guy Punky makes a living of, but I also spend money a lot when I have it :)

Unfortunately, the expensive ones are soooo few and it's a feast when you come by one such as these :) I am not a magnate, so when I have the opportunity to sell for a good price, I don't hesitate much, I make photos for my archive and that's it. Except for the Celtic coins, I intend to build a good and valuable collection in the long run. As a collector I learned that trade is the most efficient way to get coins you could never get otherwise, and all serious collectors know that too well.

Quote:

thanks u very much for this thread and for sharing, i must admit i never thought coins matter much, maybe bc im used to see so much money in our Safe Bank.

i see that every coin has a story behind it, i hope u and markus with share with us, it will Wiser us all

p.s if anyone of u need me to xsend u israeli coins, pls do ask
You don't have to tell me that twice Punky, if I can I would like to order certain Israeli coins you just convert the amounts from euros I send to you, to shekels in numbers and nominations I want. It would be great, but I don't know if it's possible to send currency from Israel, I think we in Serbia can't send our currency by mail. :(

Quote:

you can certainly get a real education here at MTF and not just about tennis!
It'll be even more interesting, you'll see Mae ;)

Punky 02-01-2013 12:50 PM

Re: **** Coins ****
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssin (Post 13257169)
You don't have to tell me that twice Punky, if I can I would like to order certain Israeli coins you just convert the amounts from euros I send to you, to shekels in numbers and nominations I want. It would be great, but I don't know if it's possible to send currency from Israel, I think we in Serbia can't send our currency by mail. :(

it will be on me, dont worry about it, u will buy me coffee next time ur around :hug:
i will collect all the coins i can find and i will take to u via mail/fb how i could send it to you.

abraxas21 02-01-2013 01:21 PM

Re: **** Coins ****
 
cool thread

ssin, how did you get those coins?

The one you have featured in the original post looks in better shape than the one who was recently sold for $16,000 so i suppose you could get a higher value for it.

ssin 02-01-2013 02:10 PM

Re: **** Coins ****
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by abraxas21 (Post 13257689)
cool thread

ssin, how did you get those coins?

The one you have featured in the original post looks in better shape than the one who was recently sold for $16,000 so i suppose you could get a higher value for it.

thx :yeah:

Unfortunately the one that was sold for 16000 is in a better shape than mine so no I couldn't get that much money, if I could get around 5000e for my coin I would be quite ok with that. they are so scarce that it would be costly even if it had a hole in it. Also one of the reasons the price went up so high was that it was supposedly "the only in in private hands" but it isn't.

I bought it for a hefty price, without knowing how rare it was, although I knew it must be rare, immediately before the auction that featured that other coin... it was still much less than 4-5000e, the price that I will probably sell it eventually. It might go a little bit up if I bump into someone who badly needs it.;)

And the silver Pacatian is much more dear to my heart because it was a lucky find, I found it in a heap of other silver coins, 300 of them. It turned out that that one was worth as all others put together :cool:.

The thrill when you find something really rare is not so easy to describe, definitely much better feeling than buying it at full price :angel:

ssin 02-01-2013 02:14 PM

Re: **** Coins ****
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punky (Post 13257329)
it will be on me, dont worry about it, u will buy me coffee next time ur around :hug:
i will collect all the coins i can find and i will take to u via mail/fb how i could send it to you.

no, no, I will explain how we are going to do this if I need it, I will probably need some coins from the bank in mint state, not from change ;) I will surely send you money to your bank account!

I am very thankful that you are really ready to do this for me! This in itself is quite enough... don't worry

Punky you are really great thanks :worship:

ssin 02-01-2013 03:46 PM

Re: **** Coins ****
 
7 Attachment(s)
The Celts struck money after the Greek model. At first they were very close to original but then they began to stylize the patterns more or more. In the Danube region they only had silver coins, unlike in Britain and France where they also struck golden staters in substantial quantities.

Look at this hoard of Celtic gold coins, "The Wickham Hoard ": :crazy:

http://www.culture24.org.uk/history%...logy/art358699

There was a huge hoard unearthed recently in the UK, summer last year:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...r-friends.html



Some Eastern Celtic coins from my collection, kugelwange type tetradrachms from today's Vojvodina province in Serbia.. :hearts:

Punky 02-01-2013 04:21 PM

Re: **** Coins ****
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssin (Post 13258593)
no, no, I will explain how we are going to do this if I need it, I will probably need some coins from the bank in mint state, not from change ;) I will surely send you money to your bank account!

I am very thankful that you are really ready to do this for me! This in itself is quite enough... don't worry

Punky you are really great thanks :worship:

i will pm u about it, u will tell me what u need and i will do my best to help

u dont need to send me EUROS bc the Transfer will cost more then the moneys worth.

its my pleasure really


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.