MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1133)
-   -   novak djokovic endorsements potential (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=224393)

tests 01-30-2013 05:18 AM

novak djokovic endorsements potential

What is djokovic's endorsement potential? Will it reach federer levels? Nadal Levels?

I think djokovic has the personality and charisma to surpass nadal in endorsement revenue, but probably not federer.

Sri 01-30-2013 06:20 AM

Re: novak djokovic endorsements potential

It will go past Nadal, I think it should have already. Novak is very marketable.

For reaching Federer's level, he needs to appeal to the elite segments of the market. I think he can do it.

All of this depends on continued success on the courts.

leng jai 01-30-2013 06:21 AM

He's not pretentious enough to tap into Federer's market.

Sri 01-30-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leng jai (Post 13227361)
He's not pretentious enough to tap into Federer's market.

bah .. i think he should, he is very marketable, has the right tools.

needs to shed the djoker / clown image and build a sophisticated one.

Ash86 01-30-2013 06:29 AM

Nadal is more marketable -- look at their endorsements so far.

Nadal: Richard Mille; Kia (Global); Bacardi (Global); Mapre (Insurance); Banesto (Bank); Quely (Cookies); Pokerstars; Vstrator (iPhone App); Postcode Lotteries; Nike; Babolat (previously deals with Armani, Lanvin etc.)

Other activities: Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition; Shakira video

Djokovic: Audemar Piguet; Head; Uniqlo; Mercedes (Serbia only); Serbian telecom; Unicef (there may be others I'm not aware of but certainly nothing big and global I don't think.)

Nadal has a very clear image -- Spanish bull; fighter; young/exciting. He's more well known -- compare his 11m+ facebook followers and 3.5m+ twitter followers to Novak's 1m+ on facebook and 1.5m+ on twitter, and from a more marketable part of the world. Nadal's rivalry with Federer also propelled him into the public consciousness more IMO. Novak being Eastern European I do think hurts his marketability - it's not right but it's true that being from a big, well-known European country is easier to sell. Novak is funny and has more of a "joker" image but as yet I don't see him getting anywhere near Nadal's deals, just like Nadal is very far from Federer's.

Sri 01-30-2013 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash86 (Post 13227417)
Nadal is more marketable -- look at their endorsements so far.

Nadal: Richard Mille; Kia (Global); Bacardi (Global); Mapre (Insurance); Banesto (Bank); Quely (Cookies); Pokerstars; Vstrator (iPhone App); Postcode Lotteries; Nike; Babolat (previously deals with Armani, Lanvin etc.)

Other activities: Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition; Shakira video

Djokovic: Audemar Piguet; Head; Uniqlo; Mercedes (Serbia only); Serbian telecom; Unicef (there may be others I'm not aware of but certainly nothing big and global I don't think.)

Nadal has a very clear image -- Spanish bull; fighter; young/exciting. He's more well known -- compare his 11m+ facebook followers and 3.5m+ twitter followers to Novak's 1m+ on facebook and 1.5m+ on twitter, and from a more marketable part of the world. Nadal's rivalry with Federer also propelled him into the public consciousness more IMO. Novak being Eastern European I do think hurts his marketability - it's not right but it's true that being from a big, well-known European country is easier to sell. Novak is funny and has more of a "joker" image but as yet I don't see him getting anywhere near Nadal's deals, just like Nadal is very far from Federer's.

It will be a quantity vs. quality debate. Nole can surpass Nadal with just one or two high profile endorsement deals.

Ash86 01-30-2013 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sri (Post 13227433)
It will be a quantity vs. quality debate. Nole can surpass Nadal with just one or two high profile endorsement deals.

They'd have to be HUGE deals to surpass Nadal. Nadal's current earnings are around $25million from endorsements (http://www.forbes.com/profile/rafael-nadal/). Djokovic by contrast gets $9m from endorsements (http://www.forbes.com/profile/novak-djokovic/).

The simple fact is Nadal is better known -- just look at their online followings. He's from a bigger country and from one which doesn't have a chequered global image. In PR, all that matters. I'd be pretty happy to bet Djokovic won't ever surpass Nadal on that front. Success on the tennis court isn't the biggest factor when it comes to endorsements - compare Sharapova's endorsements to Serena's for example...

cveks 01-30-2013 07:31 AM

Djokovic cant surpass Federer because he is east European and not western one.

RIboy 01-30-2013 07:40 AM

faker forum

Sri 01-30-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash86 (Post 13227449)
They'd have to be HUGE deals to surpass Nadal. Nadal's current earnings are around $25million from endorsements (http://www.forbes.com/profile/rafael-nadal/). Djokovic by contrast gets $9m from endorsements (http://www.forbes.com/profile/novak-djokovic/).

The simple fact is Nadal is better known -- just look at their online followings. He's from a bigger country and from one which doesn't have a chequered global image. In PR, all that matters. I'd be pretty happy to bet Djokovic won't ever surpass Nadal on that front. Success on the tennis court isn't the biggest factor when it comes to endorsements - compare Sharapova's endorsements to Serena's for example...

Are we talking about figures now or earning potential in the future?

I think Nole will be raking in mega bucks because he is going to be dominating the tour longer than Nadal.

Plus he has a look that will work with luxury brands. Nadal does not.

I agree he needs to stop the "i am djoker" bit.

Sri 01-30-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cveks (Post 13227585)
Djokovic cant surpass Federer because he is east European and not western one.

It's not an east vs. west thing. Federer has a carefully cultivated image over the past ten years. Nole can still do the same.

romismak 01-30-2013 08:12 AM

Novakīs potential is big and fact is he is earning less than he should and could. But fact is that being from SRB is hurting his earnings-small poor country, than you have Nadal from ESP-which is bigger and richer country and also language he is speaking is far wider globally. Than Roger is different story-no one will touch him in endorsements - neutral country, ,,gentleman,, image, almost every record in tennis and years and years of success and off-court activities.

I donīt think Nole will catch up Rafa, he can maybe increase his deals by 50%-maybe even double but it is still not enough.

For exampla even someone like Murray with some better results can be competition for Nole in this department, he is from big rich country and his inner-country potential is far far bigger. Despite the fact Novak is clearly more ,,marketable,, than Murray - who is kind of boring and nothing special about him for commercials and sponsors.

If new No.1 would be from US you would see the difference what it means to be from big country - Roddick is nice example, he won his only slam million years ago, but until Novakīs fantastic 2011 run he was No.3 behind Roger and Rafa in endorsements.

Time Violation 01-30-2013 08:14 AM

Well, if Nadal is not back in form/forced to retire earlier than thought, then there won't be much choice anyway for those who want to market in tennis, the rest of the top 10 isn't exactly marketable (Berdych, Ferrer, Tipsy, etc) :)

Alex999 01-30-2013 08:36 AM

the more you win, the more money you make... you get more popular etc. very simple. not sure how important this is to us MTF mortals.
Nole, Fed and Nadal are multimillionaires. They don't pay our bills. it's irrelevant. I couldn't care less how much money they make. :)

Houstonko 01-30-2013 09:13 AM

lol nobody has chance to surpass fed in terms of endorsements. He wins and speaks with class, went 5 straight in 2 slams.

Novak is very very far from him in terms of deals, needs to surpass nadal first, also quite impossible.