MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   American players to look out for? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=224289)

Moonball Pusher 01-29-2013 02:50 PM

American players to look out for?

I'm getting back into tennis after letting my attention fade as Roddick's career faded...and I love Federer, Djokovic, etc but I'm wondering where the up-and-coming US players are? We've got Querrey and Isner, but they seem to have reached their peaks. Or have they?

Are there any young players on the men's side from the US who could make some real noise in the coming years? Anyone to keep an eye on?

TennisOnWood 01-29-2013 03:02 PM

Re: American players to look out for?

Its too late for John and Sam, they will never win anything big

Kozlov, Rubin, Papa, Christian Harrison, Wiersholm maybe can change that, but not in the next 5 or 6 years

nellis_lv 01-29-2013 03:08 PM

No. All there is are a bunch of frat boys from the college circuit.

They're more interested in trying to fit in and hang out than actually making a name for themselves above the top 100. (Johnson, Sock, Kudla, Rhyne, etc… the list goes on)

They need a cool, quiet, and independently motivated Sampras-like youth to rise above. (and the only one closest to that type is up north in Canada, Raonic)

Harrison. He's got one hell of a competitive spirit but not a lot of shot-making abilities besides a good 2nd serve.

nolesfan2011 01-29-2013 03:24 PM

HA

Quote:

Originally Posted by nellis_lv (Post 13218409)
No. All there is are a bunch of frat boys from the college circuit.

They're more interested in trying to fit in and hang out than actually making a name for themselves above the top 100. (Johnson, Sock, Kudla, Rhyne, etc… the list goes on)

They need a cool, quiet, and independently motivated Sampras-like youth to rise above. (and the only one closest to that type is up north in Canada, Raonic)

Harrison. He's got one hell of a competitive spirit but not a lot of shot-making abilities besides a good 2nd serve.

Alex999 01-29-2013 03:29 PM

sorry, but there is nobody. Don't expect anything from Isner and Sam, it's not happening.

I thought Harrison would turn out to be good but he is too weak, too slow etc. Hopefully, he'll work hard and improve, but not so sure about it.

Henry Chinaski 01-29-2013 03:30 PM

Jack Sock probably has the most potential but he prefers fast food to backhands and returns.

emotion 01-29-2013 03:35 PM

Sock is overhyped, he has talent but shows no hint of fulfilling it. Kudla is a bit more promising. Harrison is really competitive and decent under pressure, but has no backhand and it isn't improving, he's far too defensive anymore.

nellis_lv 01-29-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski (Post 13218937)
Jack Sock probably has the most potential but he prefers fast food to backhands and returns.

Haha, exactly. The whole lot of them do.

I see potential in Jack Sock too but, as with the rest of them, the issue is mental.

OmnipotentMaster 01-29-2013 03:47 PM

Donald Young, potential GOAT

CooCooCachoo 01-29-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djokovicgonzalez (Post 13219089)
Sock is overhyped, he has talent but shows no hint of fulfilling it. Kudla is a bit more promising. Harrison is really competitive and decent under pressure, but has no backhand and it isn't improving, he's far too defensive anymore.

I really like Denis, but I don't think he is one to look out for. His results have been very inconsistent, with a tendency to record a few really bad losses. He also lacks power, which will prevent him from making it to the Top 20.

There are a bunch of guys who are making (small) strides in the Challenger and Futures circuit right now. US tennis certainly looks more promising than the last five years or so, but I'm not sure whether there are any breakaway stars.

Naudio Spanlatine 01-29-2013 03:54 PM

i dont see any, only on the women's side. :hysteric:

ogbg 01-29-2013 03:57 PM

Are there any young Americans who don't play under the Roddick/Isner/Querrey style of big serve, big forehand?

Naudio Spanlatine 01-29-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ogbg (Post 13219537)
Are there any young Americans who don't play under the Roddick/Isner/Querrey style of big serve, big forehand?

Nope. Only europe, asia, south america and austrailia. :sad:

Black Adam 01-29-2013 06:59 PM

It's gonna be wilderness boys.

Armless 01-29-2013 07:03 PM

Watch out of for Stef Kozlov, kid got game, though you'll have to wait cause he's 1998 born. Christian Harrison was touted to be better than his brother, though injuries slowed down his development.