MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Current youngest slam winner (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=223937)

Litotes 01-28-2013 08:23 AM

Current youngest slam winner
 
Juan Martin del Potro has now been the youngest slam winner for well over three years, and this looks set to continue for a while. He is now one of the players to have this distinction for the longest. How much longer will he remain the youngest slam winner? Borg looks within reach, could he even beat Chang?

Here is an overview of slam winners that have been youngest for three years or more (Open Era only):

Michael Chang: FO 1989 to FO 1996 - 7 years
Björn Borg: FO 1974 to USO 1979 - 5 years 4 months
Boris Becker: W 1985 to RG 1989 - 3 years 11 mounts
Juan Martin del Potro: USO 2009 to ? - 3 years 8 months (to FO 2013) and counting
Gustavo Kuerten: FO 1997 to USO 2000 - 3 years 4 months
Mats Wilander: FO 1982 to W 1985 - 3 years 1 month

Slasher1985 01-28-2013 08:26 AM

Re: Current youngest slam winner
 
Oh yeah, he'll beat Chang. I'm sure of it.:D

motorhead 01-28-2013 09:23 AM

Re: Current youngest slam winner
 
Tomic will replace him

duong 01-28-2013 03:15 PM

Re: Current youngest slam winner
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Litotes (Post 13198833)
Juan Martin del Potro has now been the youngest slam winner for well over three years, and this looks set to continue for a while. He is now one of the players to have this distinction for the longest. How much longer will he remain the youngest slam winner? Borg looks within reach, could he even beat Chang?

Here is an overview of slam winners that have been youngest for three years or more (Open Era only):

Michael Chang: FO 1989 to FO 1996 - 7 years
Björn Borg: FO 1974 to USO 1979 - 5 years 4 months
Boris Becker: W 1985 to RG 1989 - 3 years 11 mounts
Juan Martin del Potro: USO 2009 to ? - 3 years 8 months (to FO 2013) and counting
Gustavo Kuerten: FO 1997 to USO 2000 - 3 years 4 months
Mats Wilander: FO 1982 to W 1985 - 3 years 1 month

I've just understood what you meant, it was quite hard actually :scratch: :

you mean at one moment in time, the youngest guy to have already won a slam before,

and that this streak would be stopped when somebody born from 1989 or after the 23rd of september 1988, wins a slam.

Borg's streak would be defeated if nobody born from 1989 wins a slam in 2013 or 2014.

Honestly it has a big chance to happen.

Chang's streak will be tougher to get ahead of.

But anyway, in another definition, Chang is still the youngest guy to have ever won a slam, in a meaning that nobody did it at a younger age than him.

OmnipotentMaster 01-28-2013 04:03 PM

Re: Current youngest slam winner
 
Who cares?

duong 01-28-2013 04:21 PM

Re: Current youngest slam winner
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OmnipotentMaster (Post 13203857)
Who cares?

just another way to ask "when the hell will one of those guys from clownish generations 1989 (or Dolgopolov) ... win a slam ?" :lol:

an accurate one but maybe a bit too subtle to understand at first sight :lol:

Mark Lenders 01-28-2013 04:45 PM

Re: Current youngest slam winner
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Litotes (Post 13198833)
Juan Martin del Potro has now been the youngest slam winner for well over three years, and this looks set to continue for a while. He is now one of the players to have this distinction for the longest. How much longer will he remain the youngest slam winner? Borg looks within reach, could he even beat Chang?

Here is an overview of slam winners that have been youngest for three years or more (Open Era only):

Michael Chang: FO 1989 to FO 1996 - 7 years
Björn Borg: FO 1974 to USO 1979 - 5 years 4 months
Boris Becker: W 1985 to RG 1989 - 3 years 11 mounts
Juan Martin del Potro: USO 2009 to ? - 3 years 8 months (to FO 2013) and counting
Gustavo Kuerten: FO 1997 to USO 2000 - 3 years 4 months
Mats Wilander: FO 1982 to W 1985 - 3 years 1 month

Interesting. If Del Potro hadn't won the USO in 2009, Djokovic would pretty much be a lock to beat Chang here.

Naudio Spanlatine 01-28-2013 04:51 PM

Re: Current youngest slam winner
 
Hewitt was 20 when he won his first slam
Nadal was 19 when he won his first slam
Safin i think was 20 too.
Nole was 19 when he won his first slam

?????

ogbg 01-28-2013 04:54 PM

Re: Current youngest slam winner
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naudio Spanlatine (Post 13204721)
Hewitt was 20 when he won his first slam
Nadal was 19 when he won his first slam
Safin i think was 20 too.
Nole was 19 when he won his first slam

?????

I think you've missed the point. The point is, out of all players who have ever won a grand slam title, Del Potro was born the latest.

ogbg 01-28-2013 05:00 PM

Re: Current youngest slam winner
 
Is Cilic the youngest quarter finalist around at 24 years old also?

EDIT: No, it's Tomic obviously.

duong 01-28-2013 05:18 PM

Re: Current youngest slam winner
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ogbg (Post 13204865)
Is Cilic the youngest quarter finalist around at 24 years old also?

EDIT: No, it's Tomic obviously.

yes : also Nishikori and Dolgopolov have played a slam QF and are younger than Cilic (only 2 months for Dolgo).

Naudio Spanlatine 01-28-2013 05:26 PM

Re: Current youngest slam winner
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ogbg (Post 13204769)
I think you've missed the point. The point is, out of all players who have ever won a grand slam title, Del Potro was born the latest.

i wanted to add these guys in the mix because someone didnt add them in the list. I know that Delpo is the current youngest. But somebody should add these guys in the list as well.

duong 01-28-2013 05:30 PM

Re: Current youngest slam winner
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naudio Spanlatine (Post 13204721)
Hewitt was 20 when he won his first slam
Nadal was 19 when he won his first slam
Safin i think was 20 too.
Nole was 19 when he won his first slam

?????

Djokovic was 20
Nadal had just had his 19th birthday :lol:

if you really want to complete the list, there's also Roddick at least.

ogbg 01-28-2013 06:05 PM

Re: Current youngest slam winner
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by duong (Post 13205169)
yes : also Nishikori and Dolgopolov have played a slam QF and are younger than Cilic (only 2 months for Dolgo).

JMDP is the youngest SF still?

Litotes 01-28-2013 06:06 PM

Re: Current youngest slam winner
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naudio Spanlatine (Post 13204721)
Hewitt was 20 when he won his first slam
Nadal was 19 when he won his first slam
Safin i think was 20 too.
Nole was 19 when he won his first slam

?????

Hewitt was surpassed as the youngest winner by Federer, 1 year and 9 months later

Safin was surpassed by Hewitt, exactly one year later.

Nadal was surpassed by Djokovic, 2 years and 8 months later, falling just short of my three year cutoff.

Djokovic, who was 20, not 19, was surpassed by del Potro 1 year and 8 months later.

Being a young winner is no guarantee someone born after you will not appear on the scene sooner rather than later.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.