MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The 'no let-rule' trial at Challengers is (Won't continue on after next week) (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=223098)

nenfil 01-26-2013 12:34 PM

The 'no let-rule' trial at Challengers is (Won't continue on after next week)

Source: "tennisalternative.com":

"This tournament is the first one on the ATP Challenger Tour, which is played with a so called “no let-rule”. This means that there will be no replay of serve if the ball the touches the net. It is part of an experiment run by the ATP for the next three months. At the end of this time the association will decide if the new rule will be introduced on the ATP World Tour as well."

Did you know? What do you think about it? It would make service game little bit faster, with more return winners as well...

Federer in 2 01-26-2013 12:37 PM

Re: Heilbronn Challenger 2013 - 'no let-rule'

I think they used it in Sao Paulo a couple of weeks ago. Was watching the end of a match (for tennis tipping), and I saw someone running to catch a let serve.

Nathaliia 01-26-2013 12:56 PM

there was no let in sao paulo and prob in noumea, i think the author of article meant the first one he was seeing

i was putting it up late and it skipped my mind, thanks for bringing this to my attention actually

but overall, yeah.

nole_no1 01-26-2013 01:13 PM

I think the "no-let" rule was used in all the challenger tournaments untill now

croat123 01-26-2013 01:40 PM

The rule makes sense IMO. They've been using it in NCAA tennis for a long time

Brick Top 01-26-2013 02:03 PM

Bullshit rule that will hopefully never be implemented in a World Tour.

Slice Winner 01-26-2013 02:09 PM

PHM had a funny tweet about it.

Paul Henri Mathieu ‏@Paulomathieu
Jouer le let au service...quelle idée?!? Un peu de décence pour notre sport l ATP merci...! Quit this trial period quickly!

"Playing service lets ... what an idea?!? A little deceny for our sport, ATP, please...!"

TennisOnWood 01-26-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slice Winner (Post 13138146)
PHM had a funny tweet about it.

Paul Henri Mathieu ‏@Paulomathieu
Jouer le let au service...quelle idée?!? Un peu de décence pour notre sport l ATP merci...! Quit this trial period quickly!

"Playing service lets ... what an idea?!? A little deceny for our sport, ATP, please...!"

He got slow high ball to his forehand after Dancevic's let yestarday :D

latso 01-26-2013 02:36 PM

i used to like PHM :rolleyes:

ok, i still like him, but some thinking b4 tweeting won't hurt him.

let's see how it works first and judge later.

nenfil 01-26-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by latso (Post 13138450)
i used to like PHM :rolleyes:

ok, i still like him, but some thinking b4 tweeting won't hurt him.

let's see how it works first and judge later.

well, that's just his opinion ;)

Garson007 01-26-2013 02:42 PM

I have no idea why lets were introduced in the first place. Always seemed like a bit of a waste.

Also bring back the underarm serve. I'm sure the girls would do better if they didn't have to overhead their serves, as is expected right now. (I realise it's not a rule, but it's enforced ethically.)

Nathaliia 01-26-2013 02:56 PM

as for the rule itself, i like it as a spectator

and it adds up drama if the ball is foul :p it can be advantage either for server or receiver

Garson007 01-26-2013 03:01 PM

Oh, oh. What about allowing a receiver to play a fouled serve? I've seen so many good winners off of faulty serves. I sometimes wonder why players can't make those shots in general play. This is a bit of a tricky suggestion as it would be difficult to tell if a guy is playing the serve or just going through the motions.

castle007 01-26-2013 09:36 PM

I was strongly against getting rid of the let rule, and I still am in a certain way. I think that the electronic signal should be removed from the net. I have seen so many serves, that were clearly over the net, called a let by that stupid machine. Many players complain about, the servers and the returners.

Here is what I think should happen:

1) Get rid of the let sensor.
2) The let rule should only be enforced if a ball touches the net and then falls over to the other side.
3) If ball touches the net but continues to land in like a normal serve, then play on. Watch these 2 consecutive points starting at 15:47:

green25814 01-26-2013 09:42 PM

I kinda like this idea, for two reasons:

1) It can break up the game and make things more fun/unpredictable on serve

2) It speeds up the game a bit.

IMO tennis' biggest problem is how slow the game is. If you watch a three hour match between Nole/Rafa probably 15/20 minutes of that match the ball was actually in play. This really sucks as a viewer