MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tweeting from ITF tournaments is forbidden now (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=214637)

Nathaliia 01-07-2013 12:28 PM

Tweeting from ITF tournaments is forbidden now

I'll link the WTA forum, where it's described.
I mentioned it in my recent article, now it's made an official rule.

Don't you think ITF gets a fair amount of money from it? Why not to increase tournament money prize then? Or give at least free dinners to players?

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=472445

Maccie 01-07-2013 12:30 PM

Re: Tweeting from ITF tournaments is forbidden now

This would be a very bad thing, but do you really think they will be that strict about it? I can't imagine them penalizing players for tweeting that they won or lost the match a few minutes after it has finished.

latso 01-07-2013 12:42 PM

It's already in the link (as i have anticipated in the XXX numerous funny thread about that) -

Quote:

Sportradar has a four year deal to distribute data.

http://www.itftennis.com/media/119314/119314.pdf

Just like Enetpulse bought the rights for the ATP/WTA data last year.

Wing Man Frank 01-07-2013 12:52 PM

I'm lost. What is the point of this?

latso 01-07-2013 01:03 PM

Just spamming around and trying to find more followers for the blog, with articles addressing imaginary issues in a populist way, like "why ATP doesn't feed a warm dinner the poor tennis babies :shedsatear:"

And Michael Jackson will soon assist by deleting any thread were a different that the general opinion is stated.

Fun

Nathaliia 01-07-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank (Post 12639065)
I'm lost. What is the point of this?

I believe on the ATP/Challenger circuit it's pretty open, after all, there are the press offices, you can submit articles and tweets as early as you want (despite tournaments also having official livescores and betting companies scoring and streaming). For some reason, at ITF tournaments it seems to be a problem though.

Only exceptions are tournaments where gambling companies are main sponsors, in Kitzbuehel (and Hamburg, I think) credited journalists are forced to sign under rules they will not tweet from the things that happen in the match (even if a squirrel shows up on court). To be honest, I don't like this rule at these 2 tournaments, but maybe I'm biased due to being a journalist myself, maybe other people think it's fair enough if the gambling company gives money for the tournament to happen and they have exclusive rights for this. I don't know.

latso 01-07-2013 01:17 PM

Sportradar is not a "gambling" company

Nathaliia 01-07-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by latso (Post 12639112)
Sportradar is not a "gambling" company

The only gambling company I refered to was bet at home, that sponsors Kitzbuehel and Hamburg ATP tournaments.

Never said Sportradar was.

latso 01-07-2013 02:22 PM

I thought this thread was about Futures tournaments, at least that's what is said in the opening post..

You don't like Hamburg and Kitzbuhel's rules for the press, other journalists dislike the food in Madrid and Halle, what have all these to do with the thread?

I have no opinion about the two you mention, mainly because i have no idea what are the reasons for them to ask the press to sign restrictions about not tweeting during the matches.

Perhaps it's for the same reason you can have only Coca Cola if it is sponsoring, or the sponsor's beer, etc. It is discriminating toward Pepsi and the other beers, but that's why they pay :rolleyes:

motorhead 01-07-2013 02:27 PM

tweeting is not forbidden, tweeting scores of a match is. it's been like this for years in the atp circuit and now itf seems to follow.

there are people at venues whose job is to prevent spectators from using devices such as laptops and mobile phone

Wing Man Frank 01-07-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathaliia (Post 12639098)
I believe on the ATP/Challenger circuit it's pretty open, after all, there are the press offices, you can submit articles and tweets as early as you want (despite tournaments also having official livescores and betting companies scoring and streaming). For some reason, at ITF tournaments it seems to be a problem though.

Only exceptions are tournaments where gambling companies are main sponsors, in Kitzbuehel (and Hamburg, I think) credited journalists are forced to sign under rules they will not tweet from the things that happen in the match (even if a squirrel shows up on court). To be honest, I don't like this rule at these 2 tournaments, but maybe I'm biased due to being a journalist myself, maybe other people think it's fair enough if the gambling company gives money for the tournament to happen and they have exclusive rights for this. I don't know.

Understand your post but it doesn't explain WHY they don't want you doing it? Unless I am missing something?

motorhead 01-07-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank (Post 12639193)
Understand your post but it doesn't explain WHY they don't want you doing it? Unless I am missing something?

a company paid tons of money to broadcast livescores data. if people at the venues update scores ahead of them there's no point in subscribing said companies (expensive) services, is it?

Looner 01-07-2013 02:49 PM

Can you tweet about what happens in the rally. Is that allowed? And does this mean that if you go to Wimbledon, you won't be allowed to tweet during a match? I find that strange to believe :/.

Wing Man Frank 01-07-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead (Post 12639200)
a company paid tons of money to broadcast livescores data. if people at the venues update scores ahead of them there's no point in subscribing said companies (expensive) services, is it?

If an individual using his phone can tweet updates quicker than a company that is meant to be providing LIVE updates, then they are a joke of a company.

If ALL ITF scores were live in a similar kind of scoring system that exists for ATP and Challenger events, who in their right mind would waste time reading tweets?

motorhead 01-07-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Looner (Post 12639207)
Can you tweet about what happens in the rally. Is that allowed? And does this mean that if you go to Wimbledon, you won't be allowed to tweet during a match? I find that strange to believe :/.

of course you can, even if you get caught tweeting a score during a match it's not like they take you to jail. tons of people will use phones at ipads on courts so it's impossibile to prevent people from using these devices. what itf and atp people look for is suspicious individuals who are clearly there only to gamble or transmit data and trust me they are not hard to spot.