MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Canada (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1435)
-   -   Jesse Levine (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=213966)

letshavefun3 12-19-2012 04:49 PM

Jesse Levine

According to Tennis Canada's Twitter account, Ottawa-born Jesse Levine (Ranked 104) will represent Canada effective Jan 2013!

Nathaliia 12-19-2012 05:33 PM

Re: Jesse Levine

yep heard it would happen after australian open

duong 12-19-2012 06:36 PM

apparently he wants to play Davis cup but from what I read, it will be hard to get the ITF allowance early enough for the first round against Spain.

Brad1973 12-20-2012 02:13 AM

Levine actually has a plausible chance of making the US Davis Cup team, when you consider that most of the players ahead of him are either retired (Roddick) or elderly (Fish, Russell). Then again, they would probably pick Baker ahead of him; it’s a feel good story.

Welcome (back) to Canada! I never liked Rusedski, which means the pro tennis immigration / emigration balance in the last twenty years is favourable overall, in my opinion.

I would still pick Pospisil over Levine for the Davis Cup team, mostly because of his record in live matches (7-3 with a loss to Tsonga), his fighting spirit and his big serve. I would also pick Dancevic over him, in spite of the nasty comments I have made about Frank in the past. I think Frank’s best is better than Jesse’s best, and you need great tennis to win a World Group match.

Kat_YYZ 12-20-2012 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duong (Post 12612448)
apparently he wants to play Davis cup but from what I read, it will be hard to get the ITF allowance early enough for the first round against Spain.

why's he so eager to have his ass handed to him by Spain? :lol:

J99 12-21-2012 06:44 AM

What, this guy left Canada to play for the US, now he's coming back, what's up with that.

156mphserve 12-21-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J99 (Post 12613961)
What, this guy left Canada to play for the US, now he's coming back, what's up with that.

I'm not 100% sure but didn't he always play for the US? He had lived there since he was 13 not by choice but because of his brother's illness

Blarghman 12-22-2012 07:17 AM

Am I making this up, or did Levine make some comments a few years ago to the effect that he never thought of playing Canada at all, and felt totally American, or something like that? I always didn't like him because of that, but I can't actually find that anywhere, so it might just be my imagination, or maybe I'm mixing up players or sports :o

J99 12-22-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 156mphserve (Post 12614623)
I'm not 100% sure but didn't he always play for the US? He had lived there since he was 13 not by choice but because of his brother's illness

Oh, it maybe sounds like a Bogomolov type move though.

peteyjones13 12-22-2012 01:25 PM

I don't like this...he should not be chosen over players like Vasek, Frank or even Polansky. You can't leave, then come back when Canadian tennis is suddenly doing great just because you want to play Davis Cup. Would send terrible message and be ridiculously disrespectful to all the players that have been there through the tough times if Jesse was the 2nd singles player after Milos.

ibreak4coffee 12-22-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blarghman (Post 12614969)
Am I making this up, or did Levine make some comments a few years ago to the effect that he never thought of playing Canada at all, and felt totally American, or something like that? I always didn't like him because of that, but I can't actually find that anywhere, so it might just be my imagination, or maybe I'm mixing up players or sports :o

No he did.

I dont care personally that he switched - pro athletes are generally mercenaries - but totally agree he should take a back seat to those who have played over the years. And as far as clay is concerned, I'd rather roll the dice with Diez than Levine in a DC tie.

And lets be honest - without the emergence of Milos, Levine never switches nationality

156mphserve 12-23-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peteyjones13 (Post 12615168)
I don't like this...he should not be chosen over players like Vasek, Frank or even Polansky. You can't leave, then come back when Canadian tennis is suddenly doing great just because you want to play Davis Cup. Would send terrible message and be ridiculously disrespectful to all the players that have been there through the tough times if Jesse was the 2nd singles player after Milos.

but he didn't leave? At least not as a tennis professional. He left when he was 13, and has always played for the US(to my knowledge anyway). It's not like he was playing for Canada and then said, all these guys suck, I'll play for the US instead. He played for the US because he was trained in the US. Now he sees Canadians doing well and thinks maybe that's a better option for his career, and he is Canadian to begin with so I've got no problem with it whatsoever, I welcome him with open arms.

As for him saying he doesn't feel Canadian, people say things in the media they don't mean all the time. He's playing for the US it wouldn't be good PR for him to say he feels Canadian and not American. It makes total sense.

J99 12-23-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibreak4coffee (Post 12615227)
No he did.

I dont care personally that he switched - pro athletes are generally mercenaries - but totally agree he should take a back seat to those who have played over the years. And as far as clay is concerned, I'd rather roll the dice with Diez than Levine in a DC tie.

And lets be honest - without the emergence of Milos, Levine never switches nationality

No, I think the only reason why he switched was because he sees Canada as an easier chance of playing DC, but hopefully Pospisil will have alot to say about that, the competition is good, Peliwo could be up there soon too.

misty1 12-23-2012 11:01 PM

how convenient of him to make the switch now. I really dont think he's anything special really. He doesnt add anything at all to the team and pospisil and in time pliwo will surpass him. Dancevic is still a better choice than him when he's healthy right now anyway.I get that it would be bad PR for him to say he feels canadian when he's living in the USA. However, like i said this just all is so convenient and it feels like he's only hopping on the team canada because he sees them starting to do well. If we werent i doubt he'd have made the switch

i am not going to sit here and welcome a guy back when he's stated previously that he doesnt even feel canadian. Its a matter of convenience. I really personally hope he's not even selected

tommyg6 12-24-2012 01:53 AM

This is awesome news, we get another top 100 player in our ranks! Who cares if he said he didn't feel Canadian. Point is, he's with us now. I rather have him on our Davis Cup team than Frank Dancevic, who's a total flake. unlike Vashy and Franky, Levine made the 3rd round of a Slam, something those guys couldn't do. By having him, it forces Vashy and Frank to compete harder for a spot on the Davis Cup team and improves them.

This is cool news to hear.