MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   High percentage tennis is boring (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=213544)

Slice Winner 11-30-2012 12:09 PM

High percentage tennis is boring
 
Am I wrong?

August 11-30-2012 12:38 PM

Re: High percentage tennis is boring
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slice Winner (Post 12586440)
Am I wrong?

No, you aren't. Nothing is more boring than watching players having a 54-shot rally without an intention to hit a winner.

duarte_a 11-30-2012 01:50 PM

Re: High percentage tennis is boring
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slice Winner (Post 12586440)
Am I wrong?

No.

HKz 11-30-2012 03:27 PM

Re: High percentage tennis is boring
 
Old news, most sports are boring with high percentage plays being done all the time. We watch to see great sportsmen take huge risks :shrug:

However, we NEED the variety. We need some really consistent players in the mix. Imagine having the majority of the tour hitting low percentage shots, you could end up having a lot of really messy matches with a lot of UEs.. A good mix of both is always the best.

castle007 11-30-2012 03:30 PM

Re: High percentage tennis is boring
 
You are not wrong, which is one of the reason I love Federer. He goes for some crazy shots, and sometimes invents new ones. haha

Mountaindewslave 11-30-2012 04:29 PM

Re: High percentage tennis is boring
 
like HKZ said in the middle. haha if every match on tour was like the Gulbis of the last year (who goes for shots all the time and misses again and again) then I would want to kill myself. it's nice to have some riskiness here and there but also some good heated rallies. it is true though high percent ala Gilles Simon gets old fast

Nidhogg 11-30-2012 04:58 PM

Re: High percentage tennis is boring
 
Today's spaghetti strings are boring, and is the root of much of what's wrong with tennis today.

Time Violation 11-30-2012 05:58 PM

Re: High percentage tennis is boring
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HKz (Post 12586557)
Old news, most sports are boring with high percentage plays being done all the time. We watch to see great sportsmen take huge risks :shrug:

In which sport do you have top sportsmen taking huge risks? Whether it's basketball, football, etc. you will most likely see that top teams/guys are just too solid and will rarely try something crazy.

Nidhogg 11-30-2012 06:03 PM

Re: High percentage tennis is boring
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taejin (Post 12586761)
In which sport do you have top sportsmen taking huge risks? Whether it's basketball, football, etc. you will most likely see that top teams/guys are just too solid and will rarely try something crazy.

Well, staying at the baseline at Wimby 30 years ago would have been crazy. A large reason for Borg to get to the net was so Johnny Mac couldn't get there before him.

Time Violation 11-30-2012 06:12 PM

Re: High percentage tennis is boring
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nidhogg (Post 12586768)
Well, staying at the baseline at Wimby 30 years ago would have been crazy. A large reason for Borg to get to the net was so Johnny Mac couldn't get there before him.

Well, Pele most likely wouldn't stand a chance in modern football (contrary to what he thinks of himself lol), tennis is probably in much better condition, Borg and JMac would have much better chance being top players today :)

BackhandDTL 11-30-2012 06:14 PM

Re: High percentage tennis is boring
 
I don't have a problem with high percentage tennis, but I do have a problem with homogeneity of styles. In other words, it's not so bad if just some players took on that approach, but these days it's all of them.

Nidhogg 11-30-2012 06:18 PM

Re: High percentage tennis is boring
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taejin (Post 12586780)
Well, Pele most likely wouldn't stand a chance in modern football (contrary to what he thinks of himself lol), tennis is probably in much better condition, Borg and JMac would have much better chance being top players today :)

Sure, but that doesn't automatically make the the tennis being played more entertaining, does it?

Time Violation 11-30-2012 06:32 PM

Re: High percentage tennis is boring
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nidhogg (Post 12586785)
Sure, but that doesn't automatically make the the tennis being played more entertaining, does it?

Well, was every tennis match in the 70s or 80s entertaining? I don't think so.

Nidhogg 11-30-2012 07:09 PM

Re: High percentage tennis is boring
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taejin (Post 12586798)
Well, was every tennis match in the 70s or 80s entertaining? I don't think so.

I never said that was the case, but there defintely was much more room for contrasts in gamestyles back then. It's a matter of taste, though. I know sure as hell I wasn't riveted by this years AO final when it comes to what tennis we got to see. When there are precious few entertaining points from six hours worth of play between two very good players I'm left discontent. Not to mention the toll it takes on the players them selves.

I'd love to see a mix of the current depth along with better conditions though. The physical aspects of how the players and the sport have improved are all good to me. It's the lack of regulation in racquet- and string technology which is the problem. To me it's in effect too easy to it the ball well, and it's that which has led to balls and surfaces being slowed down to the extent that we see now.

My main point is simple. You don't automatically get better tennis by making it easier to hit the ball hard and clean.

GSMnadal 11-30-2012 07:19 PM

Re: High percentage tennis is boring
 
Yes, you're wrong


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.