MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Non-Tennis (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   the SCI-FI thread (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=213479)

Jverweij 11-27-2012 08:14 PM

the SCI-FI thread

Any Scifi fans here? The Star Wars thread got me the inspiration ofc.

I grew up with loads of SciFi. Have watched Star Wars since I was 3-4 years old. I rabidly followed X-Files when it first aired, and am a big fan of the Alien franchise (not the bastardchildren please) and the first Predator.

Series I like are the aforementioned X-files, Babylon 5, and the all too short-lived Firefly.

Punky 11-27-2012 08:23 PM

Re: the SCI-FI thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jverweij (Post 12582941)
Any Scifi fans here? The Star Wars thread got me the inspiration ofc.

I grew up with loads of SciFi. Have watched Star Wars since I was 3-4 years old. I rabidly followed X-Files when it first aired, and am a big fan of the Alien franchise (not the bastardchildren please) and the first Predator.

Series I like are the aforementioned X-files, Babylon 5, and the all too short-lived Firefly.

great shows, i used to watch them a lot when i was a kid
i used to wait for the X-files awake b/c it was late and couldnt sleep.

good times

Time Violation 11-27-2012 08:32 PM

Good SF is always welcome. :) The Flash, Quantum Leap are my early favorites. I think I also watched Automan, but barely can remember anything. X-files, Millenium - Lance Henriksen was awesome there :)

Punky 11-27-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taejin (Post 12582966)
Good SF is always welcome. :) The Flash, Quantum Leap are my early favorites. I think I also watched Automan, but barely can remember anything. X-files, Millenium - Lance Henriksen was awesome there :)

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

Jverweij 11-27-2012 08:38 PM

nice ones! I feel I should add the Abyss, slow building movie, but a good one.

And I am surprised to say, I kind of liked the last Star Trek movie (mainly because it didnt really look like previous installments)

Time Violation 11-27-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jverweij (Post 12582979)
nice ones! I feel I should add the Abyss, slow building movie, but a good one.

And I am surprised to say, I kind of liked the last Star Trek movie (mainly because it didnt really look like previous installments)

Yea, Abyss, good one. Star Trek is a good movie even for non-fans, and should be only more so for fans :) Here is something a bit obscure, but worth checking out for those who have time to spare: The Lost Room

The Prince 11-27-2012 08:48 PM

I liked the film 'Dune'.

I also loved all the 'Star Wars' films, particularly the original trilogy. Way too young to have been around when they came out, though. My childhood was full of the prequels which are entertaining, but not as profound as the originals.

Anyone into 'Alien'?

Jverweij 11-27-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bulldog (Post 12582992)
I liked the film 'Dune'.

I also loved all the 'Star Wars' films, particularly the original trilogy. Way too young to have been around when they came out, though. My childhood was full of the prequels which are entertaining, but not as profound as the originals.

Anyone into 'Alien'?

Hell yeah, see original post :)
Dune is great, really big fan of the story. I like the Book alot more than the movie though. I wish they would make a remake of that movie, they are doing all the crappy ones... (judge dredd anyone?)

Jverweij 11-27-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taejin (Post 12582986)
Yea, Abyss, good one. Star Trek is a good movie even for non-fans, and should be only more so for fans :) Here is something a bit obscure, but worth checking out for those who have time to spare: The Lost Room

will check that out thanks :)

EDIT: ah I see the youngest of the Fannings is starring in that film. I was really, really impressed by her performance in super 8

The Prince 11-27-2012 08:56 PM

I've never read the 'Dune' novel. Perhaps I will at some point.

Damn, I'm usually the one lecturing everyone to read the book before watching the film.

Jverweij 11-27-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bulldog (Post 12583007)
I've never read the 'Dune' novel. Perhaps I will at some point.

Damn, I'm usually the one lecturing everyone to read the book before watching the film.

hehe, im not much of a reader, but this book I've pretty much given to all of my friends at a birthday :)

Ben. 11-27-2012 09:06 PM

The X-Files, fuck yeah :rocker2:

I named my dog Fox ;)

Millennium was...... not good. It was unbearably monotonous with an interesting episode thrown in every half dozen or so. Things did improve a bit in the off the wall second season but I couldn't bring myself to watch the third.

Time Violation 11-27-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hat__boy (Post 12583023)
Millennium was...... not good. It was unbearably monotonous with an interesting episode thrown in every half dozen or so. Things did improve a bit in the off the wall second season but I couldn't bring myself to watch the third.

Eh... no offence, but how old were you when Millenium was on if you're 23 now? :p

Btw, let's not forget one of the all time classics:

J99 11-27-2012 09:25 PM

Any true sci-fi fan knows that the real sci-fi is in the books, not in the movies, which are really just action flicks with a space/sci-fi backdrop.

Jverweij 11-27-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J99 (Post 12583039)
Any true sci-fi fan knows that the real sci-fi is in the books, not in the movies, which are really just action flicks with a space/sci-fi backdrop.

right, like the books for the all-time classic sci-fi films like Alien, Star Wars, Predator etc..

I'll give you this, there are hardly any films after a book, that are better than a book (can't think of one). With scifi however, the books are released after the films.