MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1133)
-   -   Tennis > Baseball Because.... (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=213226)

Freak3yman84 11-21-2012 04:39 AM

Tennis > Baseball Because....

So, of course, being an American automatically warrants people calling tennis a non-manly sport. This especially comes from a friend of mine who happens to play baseball one of the wussiest sports I know. For those of you not too familiar with baseball, 75% of it is just standing around.

So we always have arguments about it, and I always end up winning because I'm a GOAT arguer :shrug: Give reasons why tennis is more physically demanding, more difficult to play, and why it's just generally better:

Have fun.

Benny_Maths 11-21-2012 05:08 AM

Re: Tennis > Baseball Because....

Watched a Chuck Norris video recently and a joke about there being no steroids in baseball was made. In reality, is it actually the opposite? That there's widespread PHD use in baseball?

Freak3yman84 11-21-2012 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benny_Maths (Post 12571822)
Watched a Chuck Norris video recently and a joke about there being no steroids in baseball was made. In reality, is it actually the opposite? That there's widespread PHD use in baseball?

That was probably sarcasm, baseball has a lot of steroid users :p

Ajk822 11-21-2012 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 (Post 12571809)
So, of course, being an American automatically warrants people calling tennis a non-manly sport. This especially comes from a friend of mine who happens to play baseball one of the wussiest sports I know. For those of you not too familiar with baseball, 75% of it is just standing around.

So we always have arguments about it, and I always end up winning because I'm a GOAT arguer :shrug: Give reasons why tennis is more physically demanding, more difficult to play, and why it's just generally better:

Have fun.

I played baseball from the age of 3 until I turned 19. I now play tennis. You cannot compare the fear you feel in baseball to anything in tennis. You cannot call a baseball player a wuss when they constantly have a projectile flying at them at upwards of 90mph that (unlike a tennis ball) can do serious damage. When I was 11 I cracked an opponents rib by hitting them with a pitch. Once again, at the age of 11. Imagine what older/more skilled people do. Thankfully I never had any severe injuries in my time, but I've seen quite a few bad ones.

On the flip side, I would argue they're basically the same level of "manliness". Every sport you play there's going to be a testosterone, jacked up, I'm better than you, type feeling. In baseball I always got it when I struck someone out on a fastball. There was something to the feeling of my best being better than yours. The hitter most likely knew it was coming and still couldn't hit it. It gets you pumped up. In tennis I get the same feeling when I hit an ace, or even more so when I hit a return winner. I don't know why on the return winner other than that the other person is supposed to be in control of the point with the serve and then I immediately take it away. Anyway...

Tennis is no doubt more physically demanding, and that's not a contest. But there's an argument to be made that being a high level baseball player (specifically a hitter) is harder than being a high level tennis player. I personally don't care which is harder. I love both sports and just wish I was much better at them.

cocrcici 11-21-2012 07:33 AM

What is Baseball?

Slasher1985 11-21-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cocrcici (Post 12571899)
What is Baseball?

PiggyGotRoasted 11-21-2012 09:10 AM

Because the world champion is actually the world champion. Not just an american champion

Saberq 11-21-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cocrcici (Post 12571899)
What is Baseball?

best sport ever not that I expect you would know something about it sadly

Time Violation 11-21-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saberq (Post 12572031)
best sport ever not that I expect you would know something about it sadly

It's probably one of the best kept secrets too, considering it's barely relevant outside of US and Japan :lol:

PitsOfTheWorld 11-21-2012 12:03 PM

Y'know, it's possible to celebrate one sport without tearing another down.

I LOVE tennis, and have become completely addicted to it over the last two years. But baseball is a childhood love, and I don't know if it'll ever be truly overtaken for my affections.

Mjau! 11-21-2012 12:14 PM

Actually, baseball is really scary because the ball is super-hard like a rock and going well fast. :scared: We played softball a few times in my high school, but they had this proper baseball we could touch and it was like a murder weapon! Not like, "I guess you could maybe kill someone with one of these if you were out of other options", but a very reasonable murder weapon.

The bats are also intimidating.

GOATsol 11-21-2012 12:21 PM

I don't even understand baseball and can never hit the ball with the bat because it's too narrow.

Noserer 11-21-2012 12:23 PM

Baseball is probably the most boring sport in the world.

Asadinator 11-21-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mjau! (Post 12572129)
Actually, baseball is really scary because the ball is super-hard like a rock and going well fast. :scared: We played softball a few times in my high school, but they had this proper baseball we could touch and it was like a murder weapon! Not like, "I guess you could maybe kill someone with one of these if you were out of other options", but a very reasonable murder weapon.

The bats are also intimidating.

You should try cricket. Balls are even harder and you are allowed to aim at the head. In the olden days there was no helmets too, if you got hit in the head well that is your death sentence.

GOATsol 11-21-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noserer (Post 12572141)
Baseball is probably the most boring sport in the world.

I agree with Noserer. :sad: