MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Did Agassi have more fans than Sampras? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=213007)

Federer in 2 11-15-2012 03:44 PM

Did Agassi have more fans than Sampras?

I don't think he did, but interestingly I lately see more people who like seem to like Andre. Pete was obviously more accomplished, but who did most people like better back then?

Motoflou 11-15-2012 03:48 PM

Re: Did Agassi have more fans than Sampras?

I'd say Agassi was way more popular. He was just more involved in the media, not quite as hesitant to speak as Sampras was. Also...you know. Image is Everything.

Fed fordawin 11-15-2012 03:55 PM

Agassi is a little attention seeking ho, clothing like a hobo and drug-addict. Of course the youth would love him much more than a real man like Sampras.

Certinfy 11-15-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fed fordawin (Post 12562024)
Agassi is a little attention seeking ho, clothing like a hobo and drug-addict. Of course the youth would love him much more than a real man like Sampras.

Pretty much this.

nazzac 11-15-2012 04:10 PM

Agassi was more popular, because he put himself out there more if you understand. He'd talk to the media and all that, while Sampras was quiet and was often thought of as 'boring'.

But i prefered Sampras tbh. One of my favourite all time players is Pete

rogeragassi 11-15-2012 04:16 PM

Agassi was much more popular. Sure, he had more personality as some have mentioned, but I think a lot of it had to do with his style of play--aggressive baseliner was more fun to watch than serve and volley. That's why I rooted for him over Sampras.

Lestat 11-15-2012 04:56 PM

Andre was way more popular, he was a charismatic guy, there are no more players like him.

My all time favourite player, king of ballbashers.

rocketassist 11-15-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lestat (Post 12562114)
Andre was way more popular, he was a charismatic guy, there are no more players like him.

My all time favourite player, king of ballbashers.

Andre a ballbasher? Really? :confused:

Burrow 11-15-2012 05:07 PM

0:45

Lestat 11-15-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketassist (Post 12562116)
Andre a ballbasher? Really? :confused:

Yes he was, I have never seen hitting the ball from the baseline to the lines with Flat strokes as he used to do. Maybe the vision of the current bashers confuses a little because they are all tall and not the best in terms of footsteps, but Andre was certainly a ballbasher.

James Blake was a poor version of Andre but still a ballbasher too.

rocketassist 11-15-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lestat (Post 12562157)
Yes he was, I have never seen hitting the ball from the baseline to the lines with Flat strokes as he used to do. Maybe the vision of the current bashers confuses a little because they are all tall and not the best in terms of footsteps, but Andre was certainly a ballbasher.

James Blake was a poor version of Andre but still a ballbasher too.

I would describe him more as an aggressive baseliner/ballstriker rather than a basher. Not every offensive player is a basher, Agassi liked to dictate and boss rather than blast winners. I agree about Blake being more of a basher although his tennis on a good day was very watchable.

Lestat 11-15-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketassist (Post 12562161)
I would describe him more as an aggressive baseliner/ballstriker rather than a basher. Not every offensive player is a basher, Agassi liked to dictate and boss rather than blast winners. I agree about Blake being more of a basher although his tennis on a good day was very watchable.

Yes, It's not easy to categorize players as only bashers, pushers, moonballers, etc... But he was closer to be a basher than any other category.

Quote:

Agassi liked to dictate and boss rather than blast winners.
Well Del Potro is categorized as a full ballbasher and he rarely searchs winners as only way to gain points (in fact his rate of winners use to be very low compared to other players) DelPo loves to dictate and force you to make UE and put you on a defensive line as Agassi did.

PS: I loved Blake at his peak.

LeChuck 11-15-2012 06:02 PM

Agassi was far more popular than Sampras. Sampras was a much greater player, but Agassi had that star-quality (like Borg and McEnroe) and charisma that Sampras lacked. Sampras himself acknowledged that and talked about how the sport badly missed Agassi during his absence/troubles in 1997.

Agassi usually had a lot more crowd support than Sampras regardless of whether they played at the US Open (in the 2002 final some fans were even heckling Sampras when he was about to serve), Wimbledon, Australia etc.

Also many of the generation of players born in the late 70s/early 80s such as Haas, Roddick, Hewitt, Coria etc grew up idolising Agassi.

Lestat 11-15-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeChuck (Post 12562213)
Agassi was far more popular than Sampras. Sampras was a much greater player, but Agassi had that star-quality (like Borg and McEnroe) and charisma that Sampras lacked. Sampras himself acknowledged that and talked about how the sport badly missed Agassi during his absence/troubles in 1997.

Agassi usually had a lot more crowd support than Sampras regardless of whether they played at the US Open (in the 2002 final some fans were even heckling Sampras when he was about to serve), Wimbledon, Australia etc.

Also many of the generation of players born in the late 70s/early 80s such as Haas, Roddick, Hewitt, Coria etc grew up idolising Agassi.

Indeed, Coria always said he loved Agassi.

Burrow 11-15-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketassist (Post 12562161)

Not sure what you mean by this. Agassi blasted winners from anywhere in and around the court. He wasn't the type to maneuver opponents around until he had a certain easy path to hitting the ball into the open court.