MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is Murray using mind games during matches? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=212946)

retister 11-14-2012 11:50 AM

Is Murray using mind games during matches?

"I don't mind mind games as it brings spice to the confrontations, but please, spare me of this BS that Federer is some classy guy who doesn't play dirty. He does, just like Nadal, Nole and Murray"
Quoted from the closed thread.
I thought about it and I can't remember a single occasion when he tried to disrupt his opponent in such way, unlike the other three. He is mostly abusive to himself only.
Can anyone actually remember him doing something like that?

Action Jackson 11-14-2012 11:58 AM

Re: Is Murray using mind games during matches?

Murray did it to Nieminen at Roland Garros. Always looking like he is dead tired is mind games, but players have to be professional and focus on the round yellow thing and hit it.

retister 11-14-2012 12:00 PM

Crap, I forgot bunch of people think he is grabbing his hamstring on purpose...
Other than that?

Action Jackson 11-14-2012 12:03 PM

That is still mind games, all the top guys do it. Edberg, Rafter and Wilander were probably the only multi Slam winners that never did it.

Litotes 11-14-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Action Jackson (Post 12559252)
That is still mind games, all the top guys do it. Edberg, Rafter and Wilander were probably the only multi Slam winners that never did it.

What did Borg do?

retister 11-14-2012 12:07 PM

Sure, I, for one, was always having problems finishing opponent off when he seems at disadvantage. I was never a professional, though.
Question is whether Andy does it on purpose to mess with his opponents?

Action Jackson 11-14-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Litotes (Post 12559254)
What did Borg do?

Borg's mind crushed his opponents.

BauerAlmeida 11-14-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retister (Post 12559237)
"I don't mind mind games as it brings spice to the confrontations, but please, spare me of this BS that Federer is some classy guy who doesn't play dirty. He does, just like Nadal, Nole and Murray"
Quoted from the closed thread.
I thought about it and I can't remember a single occasion when he tried to disrupt his opponent in such way, unlike the other three. He is mostly abusive to himself only.
Can anyone actually remember him doing something like that?

I don't think he did.

Nathaliia 11-14-2012 01:47 PM

took med timeouts on gulbis breakpoints (yes, plural) at queens 2008

he didnt hear one bad word from british journos for that, but it made me dislike him ever since

Motoflou 11-14-2012 02:11 PM

slightly(??) unrelated, but I wanted to see if I could properly post Youtube videos.

K THX!

buzz 11-14-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Action Jackson (Post 12559261)
Borg's mind crushed his opponents.

Was that on purpose:confused:

abraxas21 11-14-2012 02:33 PM

murray uses the "squash balls" tactic. pretty effective and trusted method to get into your opponnent's (lower) head. tsonga won't be having any family, though.

Freak3yman84 11-14-2012 02:54 PM

Mandy is a cheating mug, almost as bad as Dull's cheating but he'll never reach the piggie's level.

shmeeko69 11-14-2012 03:05 PM

Ofcourse he does and is certainly no different to the other top players. It part and parcel of being and becoming a top sportstar.

MaxPower 11-14-2012 03:30 PM

guilty of the injury "faking" and questionable MTOs but at least he isn't delaying all aspects of the game.

Also Murray is one of the better at turning matches. Playing bad himself or opponent in god mode then he has horrible body language. That can give the opponent confidence. Even crappy lower ranked guys starting to take out the victory. Then suddenly he smells weakness and goes all super-pumped. The pushing can be relentless and he can go from looking like he had given up to look like he's fighting for his life on every point.

Some opponents crap their pants then and choke. Murray has turned many matches being 0-2 down with such mind games. Maybe it wasn't on purpose early in his career but now that he's seen it work so many times I think he's being very self-destructive / injured on purpose just to set the opponent up for a nasty surprise.