MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   German Tennis (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Alexander Zverev (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=212936)

GasquetGulbis 11-14-2012 03:08 AM

Alexander Zverev

Alexander Zverev is a name many of you probably won't have heard of. He's a junior born in 1997, with a Junior ranking outside the top 100 in the world. But at the same time, he just picked up his 6th ATP point in a futures tournament in the US. He beat Benjamin Balleret in the R16 in Qatar, a player ranked in the top 500. As far as I know only a couple of 96's and 95's are ranked higher than him at this point. I think he's a player we should start to keep an eye on. He's currently ranked in the 1100's, but may be able to crack the top 1000 by the end of the year.

J99 11-14-2012 04:08 AM

Re: Alexander Zverev

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasquetGulbis (Post 12558818)
Alexander Zverev is a name many of you probably won't have heard of. He's a junior born in 1997, with a Junior ranking outside the top 100 in the world. But at the same time, he just picked up his 6th ATP point in a futures tournament in the US. He beat Benjamin Balleret in the R16 in Qatar, a player ranked in the top 500. As far as I know only a couple of 96's and 95's are ranked higher than him at this point. I think he's a player we should start to keep an eye on. He's currently ranked in the 1100's, but may be able to crack the top 1000 by the end of the year.

Yeah, that's pretty impressive for his age. He just won another Futures match, and could face Balleret again, if Balleret wins his match.

GasquetGulbis 11-15-2012 10:42 PM

Beats Balleret again, and is into his second futures quarter-final against the 8th seed. He should break into the top 1000 after these points are added on.

J99 11-16-2012 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasquetGulbis (Post 12562655)
Beats Balleret again, and is into his second futures quarter-final against the 8th seed. He should break into the top 1000 after these points are added on.

To be fair he did not beat him, Balleret retired, he did get past him.

Could be tough, Bangoura looks to be a decent player.

duong 11-16-2012 10:30 AM

Sasha Zverev had a little bit hyping in France when he accompanied his brother Mischa in Metz when Mischa reached the semifinals there, and people who were there were very impressed by his training.

He's one of the best European players of his generation, semifinalist of Petits As 2011 (lost to Wiersholm) and of the "Orange Bowl 14" 2011 (lost to Kozlov).

Yes it's good he got few points in futures recently, no player of his age got more points in futures than him (the Australian Jasika is the nearest).

And Balleret is very experienced and potentially is worth better than his current ranking.

GasquetGulbis 11-16-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J99 (Post 12563096)
To be fair he did not beat him, Balleret retired, he did get past him.

Could be tough, Bangoura looks to be a decent player.

Up 4-1 in the third when a player retires is the same as beating him in my mind, but either way a win is a win.

J99 11-16-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasquetGulbis (Post 12563735)
Up 4-1 in the third when a player retires is the same as beating him in my mind, but either way a win is a win.

Well maybe you should change it, cause often the reason why a player has a big lead, is because the other guy has an injury.

Smoke944 11-16-2012 10:05 PM

He won in an extremely long match, third set tb. Great job. 96-98 are going to be so damn good

jmf07 11-16-2012 11:45 PM

Impressive Result. Does anyone know what his playing style is?

Smoke944 11-17-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmf07 (Post 12564802)
Impressive Result. Does anyone know what his playing style is?

From what I can see aggressive baseliner. BH looks like a great shot.

GasquetGulbis 11-17-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J99 (Post 12564595)
Well maybe you should change it, cause often the reason why a player has a big lead, is because the other guy has an injury.

Beating a player with an injury is still a win. There aren't going to be an asterisks next to his wins stats.

GasquetGulbis 11-18-2012 12:56 AM

Huge win against another Junior player. Zverev is really having a great tournament. There's no more futures in the states after this one, so he's hopefully going to play Eddie Herr and Orange Bowl. As much as I'm against Juniors staying in the junior tour too long, I think he's young enough still that these tournaments are important to him. Hopefully he can keep doing well in Futures next year as a 16 year old, and get a decent junior ranking too.

J99 11-18-2012 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasquetGulbis (Post 12566274)
Beating a player with an injury is still a win. There aren't going to be an asterisks next to his wins stats.

A retirement is an asterik, no matter how you try and argue it, it's still not a true win unless the match is completed and even then matches come under debate if a player was fully healthy, sorry, but there is nothing impressive about beating an injured player.

Hian-GOAT 11-18-2012 06:32 PM

Demolition in the final :hug: It looks like a mini fluke (for the age), I think he is going to have a great career anyway. The backhand looks great, the forehand.. uhm, no.

GasquetGulbis 11-18-2012 06:53 PM

Does anyone have videos or anything, where have you guys seen him playing? I kind of agree that the result may have just been a run of form, but still very good. I'm going to be following him in Eddie Herr and Orange Bowl.