MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is Murray better liked in America than Britain? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=212887)

MuzzahLovah 11-13-2012 01:04 AM

Is Murray better liked in America than Britain?

Judging from the support he got at the USO versus in Wimbledon and the WTF, one might get that impression. The NYC crowd, which can be hostile, was very warm and supportive of him for the most part.
Consider his last match of the year:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...ld-tour-finals
There was much talk of a change in attitudes toward him after the Wimbledon loss, but that might have just been Olympics euphoria. The O2 was a hostile a crowd as I've seen toward Andy outside other than at the French. I can't think of another top 10 player that would receive that sort of reception at home.

HelenShivers 11-13-2012 01:11 AM

Re: Is Murray better liked in America than Britain?

With that face?

Filo V. 11-13-2012 01:12 AM

stewietennis 11-13-2012 01:24 AM

The USO was more like the crowd cheering for the guy who always seems to lose in the finals. Not really "liked", as more of the crowd willing Andy to win his first major.

Freak3yman84 11-13-2012 01:24 AM

The answer is that he isn't liked anywhere he goes.

xargon 11-13-2012 03:31 AM

I don't think he has the game (yet) or the personality.

Arkulari 11-13-2012 04:05 AM

Murray is the least liked of the top 4, in London or in Timbuktu.

BroTree123 11-13-2012 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkulari (Post 12556767)
Murray is the least liked of the top 4, in London or in Timbuktu.

He's probably the least liked player, hands down. He got an absolute shit storm of a crowd in his last three/four tourney appearances. Toyko was pretty minor, but the crowd's hate for Mandy in Shanghai, Paris and WTF was pretty severe. I'm getting the feeling that he's being ridiculed ever since winning USO.

Arkulari 11-13-2012 04:47 AM

Well the least liked players? probably the likes of Tipsarevic, Berdych, Almagro, etc.

Murray hasn't reached that level of dislike I think :unsure:

hilluis 11-13-2012 04:58 AM

Yes, I think he is more liked in New York. Seems to have a few star- fans too, eg, Will Ferrell. I have noticed the support he gets there - perhaps it's cos he won Juniors there one year or perhaps because he is British and there is sentimental attachment for Brits?

TigerTim 11-13-2012 08:57 AM

Aussies like him also, he gets good support at the AO.

Wing Man Frank 11-13-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerTim (Post 12556978)
Aussies like him also, he gets good support at the AO.

Because he's not English, he's Scottish.

Hewitt =Legend 11-13-2012 09:13 AM

People just don't get his wit and sense of humour. Their loss really. As for his on-court behaviour, yeah he has his faults but so does everyone. Just your typical brash Scotsman releasing some steam...

Part of the reason he gets booed in London is because he's Scottish as well. He loves it as well, couldn't care less...

shmeeko69 11-13-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank (Post 12556983)
Because he's not English, he's Scottish.

I think there lies your answer and due to tournaments like Wimbledon and the ATP being held in London, you get to see some folks true colours. If he was born south of the border then, this conversation would be somewhat different.

Wing Man Frank 11-13-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmeeko69 (Post 12557010)
I think there lies your answer and due to tournaments like Wimbledon and the ATP being held in London, you get to see some folks true colours. If he was born south of the border then, this conversation would be somewhat different.

Lest we forget that the current Scottish First Minister, whom the Scottish people voted in, is currently seeking to break away from the UK if he gets his way in the referendum. If anything Scottish people are determined to have nothing to do with the English, not vice versa so I'm sure you can understand why we don't exactly embrace them.