MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Oi Oi Oi (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Thanasi Kokkinakis (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=212862)

GasquetGulbis 11-12-2012 04:11 PM

Thanasi Kokkinakis

Thanasi Kokkinakis is a very unusual subject.

Only 16 years old, he has spent very little time on the Junior Tour, he played the Australian Open and its warm-up event in 2011 and 2012, and both times bowed out early to older boys.

Thanasi helped take Australia to the Junior Davis Cup final where they lost to the Italian team and Gianluigi Quinzi, another 1996 boy.

Thanasi started playing Futures in 2011. He played two events in the spring and made it to the second round of one of them as a 14 year old. In 2012 he began playing more senior events. He started by playing the challenger in Caloundra, and played four futures events in Australia following that, losing to Jason Kubler in the second round of two of them. In June he traveled to Europe to play a handful of futures there. His best result came in Belgium, where he beat Junior US Open champ Oliver Golding to reach the semi-finals. Following his runners-up in Junior Davis Cup he began playing futures in Australia where he made it to the quarter-finals in 2 events, and the semi-finals of one of them.

Thanasi is currently ranked 829, the second highest as a 1996 kid, with only Gianluigi ranked higher, but his semi-final points haven't been added on yet.

GasquetGulbis 11-13-2012 03:24 AM

Re: Thanasi Kokkinakis

Up to 738 in the world now. I expect him to go deep at Loy Yang and the Junior Aussie Open, but then stick to the senior competition after that.

n8 11-13-2012 08:05 PM

Just watched an interview of his. He had match points in his Belgium Futures semi-final loss in July (lost to eventual winner).

Smoke944 01-03-2013 01:04 AM

He is replacing John Isner in the Hopman Cup. Very interesting.

GasquetGulbis 01-03-2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoke944 (Post 12629986)
He is replacing John Isner in the Hopman Cup. Very interesting.

As in he's playing for America? Is that just because no one else was around?

GasquetGulbis 01-03-2013 01:13 AM

really interesting, he has a qualies wildcard from what I read. I hope he plays the Junior Australian Open, I think he's got a decent chance at it, because although he has no Junior ranking he has quite a pedigree already.

Smoke944 01-03-2013 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasquetGulbis (Post 12629990)
As in he's playing for America? Is that just because no one else was around?

Yup. And they could have maybe flown someone in, but it seems they chose not to do that. Should be interesting, him against Nando.

Match has already started btw, he held the first game.

GasquetGulbis 01-03-2013 01:21 AM

I'm watching. I'm very interested in Kokkinakis, mainly because he skipped juniors. I personally think that playing with pro's is the biggest tool in helping juniors get to the senior game, and that's all Kokkinakis has. I'm hoping he wins a round of Aussie Open Qualies, and does some damage at the Australian futures. He's got such a good ranking already that finishing the year inside the top 500 looks easy.

Smoke944 01-03-2013 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasquetGulbis (Post 12630001)
I'm watching. I'm very interested in Kokkinakis, mainly because he skipped juniors. I personally think that playing with pro's is the biggest tool in helping juniors get to the senior game, and that's all Kokkinakis has. I'm hoping he wins a round of Aussie Open Qualies, and does some damage at the Australian futures. He's got such a good ranking already that finishing the year inside the top 500 looks easy.

I'd say it depends on the player. The optimum is probably mixing in pro events with juniors, and if you are doing very well skipping the last year of two of juniors.
Very much disagree that this is all he has. He's able to play pro events right away because he is really talented. I mean he played the Junior Davis Cup and he was really good there.

GasquetGulbis 01-03-2013 01:34 AM

Ya he was, I think he'd easily be 2 or 3 in juniors if he played them. He's consistent among the seniors, thats the biggest thing. A lot of juniors go deep in one or 2 futures, but he does it consistently, thats how you know he's real.

Smoke944 01-03-2013 01:37 AM

My first couple impressions:
1. Nice pop on the serve for his age.
2. Sold from both wings but the BH is much stronger, a very pure stroke that he hits cross court really well
3. Weaknesses are the ROS and movement. He'll obviously improve his movement over the years but athleticism is not his strength.

The Prince 01-03-2013 01:46 AM

I agree, he doesn't seem scared to go toe to toe with Verdasco's forehand which, regardless of whether it works out, is admirable.

I don't want to label him a future superstar, but this is very encouraging. Exactly what you want to see in a very young player, good basic skills.

Smoke944 01-03-2013 01:48 AM

Maybe I spoke too soon on his forehand. Crushes it.

SapELee 01-03-2013 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoke944 (Post 12630025)
Maybe I spoke too soon on his forehand. Crushes it.

I think his forehand is the stronger wing

Smoke944 01-03-2013 01:56 AM

Great serving :lol: