MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Oi Oi Oi (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   2013 Australian Open Wildcards. (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=212694)

Chris. 11-09-2012 06:19 AM

2013 Australian Open Wildcards.

Its going to be very intresting to see who gets them next year. With Tomic, Matosevic, Hewitt and Ebden all allready in. My thoughts would go:

1. James Duckworth
2. John Patrick-Smith
3. Sam Groth
4. Ben Mitchell
5. Brydan Klein/John Millman.

Dunno about the 5th one. I dont think TA will give Klein one and not sure they will give Groth one but i think he deserves one.

ozfan44 11-09-2012 06:39 AM

Re: 2013 Australian Open Wildcards.

Brydan deserves one for his efforts in rebuilding his ranking, but his on court behaviour and past history will put a big x next to his name when the selectors look at their options...

A lot will depend on performances at AO WC Playoffs and Brisbane, as there are 7-8 guys probably in the mix...

Kyrgios could be a suprise inclusion..top ranked junior, Saville also in the mix.... in my opinion...

Kubler also another question mark, has the talent but huge ongoing issues with his knees and questionable ability to be able to compete on hard courts with the injury concerns still lingering...

The likes of Reid, Feeney, Jones would need to finish the year with some impressive challenger results to get up in the mix, something i doubt...

Daniel. 11-09-2012 06:52 AM

I wish we could be talking about Guccione and Ball in this conversation, but another horrendously bad year for both.

TA will definately be favouring the younger guys as they always do. So Duckworth, Mitchell and Saville will 100% be getting one. JP Smith I'd say about 80% chance. From there on Groth, Millman, Klein...
I'm pretty sure TA don't give a shit about Klein though so he really needs to win the play off.

I will put my money on Duckworth, Mitchell, Saville, Smith, Groth. Unless someone other than these win the play off then cross Groth off.

Ausie 11-09-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris. (Post 12544013)
Its going to be very intresting to see who gets them next year. With Tomic, Matosevic, Hewitt and Ebden all allready in. My thoughts would go:

3 more weeks will play a Challenger, probably Ebden will need a wild card. Hewitt is now 80 in the ranking, but again now a lot tournaments.

Action Jackson 11-09-2012 08:04 AM

Millman won't get one.

Hewitt =Legend 11-09-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Action Jackson (Post 12544072)
Millman won't get one.

Definitely not, especially after the issues earlier this year. Woodbridge, what a chump...

I'm hoping Gooch can somehow hit some form and win the playoff.

RustyOz 11-10-2012 02:37 AM

There really are only four wild cards for TA to give-out. The other WC is for the WC Play-off winner.

My pick for the WC's (depending on whether Smebden will need one) is
- Saville (was World No. 1 junior, double Junior Grand Slam winner, moving up ATP rankings well)
- Duckworth (nothing outstanding this year but has been solid, did expect him to improve his ranking but struggled to defend some points, still top young player in Australia)
- JP Smith (top college performer, won a Challenger this year, good performer, place ok in rankings)

and anyone of Mitchell, Kyrgios, Kubler for the last WC.

Don't think they will go for the older player like Klein, Groth, Jones, Ball, Groth.
Groth may get a guernsey if he wins Champaign this week.
The dark horse may of course be Gooch, who played DC for Australia this year. With nobody else putting their hands up high they may give it too him as a thank-you and a last gasp to kick start his career again.

n8 11-16-2012 08:34 AM

Locks:
1.Ebden (if required)
2.Duckworth

Next (likely):
3.Saville
4.Groth
5.JPS

Chances:
6.Reid
7.Mitchell
8.Feeney

Unless some miracle happens then 'K' players will not get a wild card:
Kubler - not enough recent hard court experience
Klein - racist incident works against him big time
Kyrgios - cannot be realistically chosen given he's only 17

Of course Challengers, playoffs and Brisbane may alter things.

Audacity 11-18-2012 02:47 AM

What's the go with Millman?

Sam21 11-18-2012 10:36 AM

surely certainties would be Duckworth and Ebden if he needs a wildcard... i reckon Saville is a high chance too because of junior results and he's been solid in the seniors too. Groth really should get one based on results and with his serve he has the potential to win a match, i remember he went alright against Fish or someone a few years ago. i'd like to see Brydan get one as a reward for improving his singles ranking but since that probably wont happen, i guess the last one (or two) would go to Mitchell/JP.

yeah what's up with Millman?? this is the first i've heard of any issues too

RustyOz 11-19-2012 08:37 PM

Issues ?
With Millman ?

Sam21 11-21-2012 02:27 AM

some of the wildcard playoff entries are out

Quote:

James Duckworth 210
Sam Groth 211
John-Patrick Smith 246
Matt Reid 268
Ben Mitchell 273
Adam Feeney 315
Luke Saville 343
Greg Jones 371
Michael Look 423
Matthew Barton 426
Carsten Ball 479
Chris Guccione 566
TBC
TBC
TBC
Optus 18s Winner
players missing up to Gooch's rank are Millman, Klein, Kubler, Propoggia, Bolt, Letcher and Lemke. i reckon Propoggia and Bolt deserve a go, and i'd pick Kokkinakis and Kyrgios for the last two (one of them will probably take out the 18s title...)

Action Jackson 11-21-2012 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hewitt =Legend (Post 12544074)
Definitely not, especially after the issues earlier this year. Woodbridge, what a chump...

I'm hoping Gooch can somehow hit some form and win the playoff.

Would be good if Gooch is in as Johnny isn't playing the playoff.

ozfan44 11-21-2012 04:19 AM

Guccione and Ball are a complete Joke :rolleyes: perenial under-achievers can't even get their act together with any sort of consistency on the futures or challenger tour..

Klein and Millman overlooked because they have the balls too stand up for themselves and ruffle a few feathers...

Lemke has quit so you won't see his name unless he has had a change of heart in recent weeks...Letcher would be in the same boat as Klein etc and rarely plays in aus....

Id be shocked if Bolt and Kyrgios didn't get in (although Nick will win 18s and get in that way)...never going to happen but would love to see Van Peperzeel given a crack here...

RustyOz 11-21-2012 06:07 AM

Van Peperzeel played in the play-off last year I think.
U could run a book on whether Ball and Guccione will come all the way from the US for the play-off. Maybe Gooch to come to Aus to see family but Ball? His chances of winning over 4 matches over 5 sets are slim so why waste the time and energy.
Same for Jones - will he play?
Klein should be given a run - he has done his penance...
My pick will be Smith and Duckworth in the mix at the end, with maybe Groth or Gooch as big-serving players as outside chances