MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How long will it take Nadal (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=212693)

Ziros 11-09-2012 06:08 AM

How long will it take Nadal

to become a top contender again? We've seen in the women's game players like Serena Williams,Henin,Clijsters able to come back after lengthy breaks and immediately slay the field. I'm of the opinion that this is not possible in the men's game,do you think so? Are there any precedents for this in the men's game?

Sri 11-09-2012 06:11 AM

Re: How long will it take Nadal

It took him some months in 2009 to find his groove. But then last time he came back from injury into the hard court season.

If he makes his comeback in the clay season, he should be doing really well right away!

HKz 11-09-2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sri (Post 12543988)
It took him some months in 2009 to find his groove. But then last time he came back from injury into the hard court season.

If he makes his comeback in the clay season, he should be doing really well right away!

I think the fact that he came back during the hardcourt season allowed him to find enough matches under his belt for the clay season. I would be worried if he came back starting from the clay season, regardless of how amazing he is on the clay. He has normally been pretty rusty the past couple years when coming back from a long break. Not to mention, he will be low on confidence and certainly low on matches. Practice matches can only go so far.

Topspindoctor 11-09-2012 06:43 AM

Nadal will win AO

Johnbert 11-09-2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspindoctor (Post 12543994)
Nadal will win AO

:stupid:

MuzzahLovah 11-09-2012 07:05 AM

forever.

Jverweij 11-09-2012 07:11 AM

Impossible to say really. I still have no idea if all he needs now is time to heal, or that he really has to adjust in order to prevent this from happening again.

If nr. 2 is the case, I see him falling out of the top 5 within 2 years, and maybe even worse. He relies too heavily on running and his confidence stems mostly from winning matches. As others pointed out he is usually rusty after a break. This has to do with him having low confidence.

Tomatoes11 11-09-2012 07:16 AM

He is done like dinner. No more prime Federer to take out his tough matches for him. He only goes when Federer goes so his using Federer as a cash cow days are long over.

Pratik 11-09-2012 07:52 AM

Rafa will be rusty in the hard court season, AO/IW/Miami.
Once the clay season starts, he will find his groove and win his 275th Monte Carlo title.

IOFH 11-09-2012 07:58 AM

As long as it takes for him to get clay underneath him.

TBkeeper 11-09-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspindoctor (Post 12543994)
Nadal will win AO

:silly:

Sheitan 11-09-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziros (Post 12543986)
to become a top contender again? We've seen in the women's game players like Serena Williams,Henin,Clijsters able to come back after lengthy breaks and immediately slay the field. I'm of the opinion that this is not possible in the men's game,do you think so? Are there any precedents for this in the men's game?

Serena, Henin, Clijsters are all very talented players who came back into a very mediocre field, even for female tennis standards. Honestly, the WTA tour right now is ridiculous. Nadal will need some time to get back to full shape and until then, he won't stand a chance against a bunch of players if those are in a good shape themselves. My guess: AO quarters, maybe semis if he's very lucky. Of course he'll be one of the favourites in the clay season.

Just like heaven 11-09-2012 09:58 AM

I don't know but I think it should be easier than in 2009. He didn't take a long break then, but he didn't have too much time to practice either, then he had the stomach problems at the US Open. Now he'll come back at the beginning of the season and if he starts practicing this week, as planned, he'll have plenty of time to get in shape.
He also said he wants to feel 100% ready before stepping on court. Playing exhibition matches at the beginning should also be helpful.
Winning AO seems a bit too much, but I wish people would stop acting like he's a hard court mug. :rolleyes:

sportstennis 11-09-2012 10:03 AM

Nadal will win all.

Ad Wim 11-09-2012 10:03 AM

People tend to forget what quality he has, and that that quality doesn't disappear after 6 months absence.
If he ahs a good preparation and he is fully fit, of course he will make at least SF at the AO. He is just so much better than the rest of the field.
I don't think he can challenges the top 3 yet, he needs more rhytm and matches for that.
But it's nonsense that he will be shit on his comeback.