MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Will Nadal ever return to world number 1 again? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=212558)

August 11-05-2012 05:26 PM

Will Nadal ever return to world number 1 again?

Rafa is probably playing more clay events in the future, possibly compromising his success on hardcourts. And maybe slams are now his priority, he has seen too many matches are too much for his body. But can he return to #1.

What it takes to get to #1 is first of all to be able to play for a year. If Rafa is too injury-prone, injuries will prevent him from getting enough points to become #1. But if he can play a full season, even with a lighter schedule, then I think he can return to #1 by having a two-slam season with decent results in other slams and in TMSs. But now the competition is tougher than a few years ago, especially on hardcourts. Rafa was #1 before Nole 2.0, he had injuries during DelPo's peak and DelPo during Rafa's 2010 peak, and Murray plays now better than ever. His only threats then were Roger and Nole 1.0, now he'd have more threats.

I think Rafa will surely return to #1 if he'll be healthy for the next five years, RG is almost a sure win for him and I doubt he couldn't win some other slam too. But if his next years are full of injuries, then I think he won't return to #1.

Noserer 11-05-2012 05:30 PM

Re: Will Nadal ever return to world number 1 again?

Yes. He'll reclaim that position after USO 2013.

Tag 11-05-2012 05:31 PM

firstly, nadal is not playing for 5 more years

secondly, no. his clay points in may/june keep him in the top 4. we have seen this with ferrer encroaching on the no 4 position

the moment he loses Roland Garros, he plummets

he does not have the consistency or (nowadays) the stamina/belief on hard courts. djokovic is always going to be better, murray will always push him to the limit

he can certainly remain in the top 10 with consistent runs at the masters and slams

however, since he needs a slam to remain in the top 4, he is not returning to no 1 unless he either wins 2-3 slams, or 1 slam and 5 masters

or some freak occurrence happens, like neither djokovic or murray winning a slam

he is on the decline, so neither is going to happen

he should try and break the record for consecutive years with a slam win; that is achievable, number 1 is not

Federer&Hingis 11-05-2012 05:35 PM

Yes ........

...... on wheelchair tennis tour.

MaxPower 11-05-2012 05:36 PM

It's up to his doctor and if ATP can slow down the tour further.

Nadal is getting slower himself now so gonna need more time to run down the balls

IOFH 11-05-2012 05:37 PM

Definitely not. Nadal won't look for #1 as an objective anymore.

aselto 11-05-2012 05:38 PM

No. We need Mugray to step up consistency-wise or else Djoker will reach ridiculously high number of weeks at #1.

saviopr 11-05-2012 05:45 PM

He would need a 2010 or at least a 2008 performance, what in his recent condition is hard.

IOFH 11-05-2012 05:50 PM

Let me reiterate that I don't think Nadal would get to #1 even if he gave it his all to do so. I just don't think that should be his focus on the first place.

guga2120 11-05-2012 05:57 PM

Nasal, has the knees of a 70-year-old. Chasing down the number one ranking with the ridiculous scheduling would not be a wise decision.

finishingmove 11-05-2012 06:04 PM

Now this is a more relevant question.

Hard to say though. I assume he will be focusing more on natural surfaces, but can he build enough momentum to clean the clay season and win the channel slam? His only chance is that.

August 11-05-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guga2120 (Post 12535548)
Nasal, has the knees of a 70-year-old. Chasing down the number one ranking with the ridiculous scheduling would not be a wise decision.

Yep, #1 shouldn't be his priority. But if he has excellent results in slams and in all other tournies he plays, he can become #1. But it mustn't be his priority, otherwise he ends up being off the courts treating his knees once again.

Sunset of Age 11-05-2012 06:31 PM

Quite a few 'ifs' but certainly not impossible.
First of all, we'll have to wait and see in what condition Rafa will return to the scene. After a six-month letoff, I find it hard to believe he'll be in form to defend (let alone surpass) his 2012 AO points. But who knows, he's surprised us before, and at least he's now finally taking his time to properly heal, which imho is a very sensible decision. Hopefully he'll start managing his schedule a little better from now on as well.
Secondly, he will have to defend most of his clay season points. With so far still no real other contender in sight who can bother Rafa in good form on clay (sorry, but didn't 2012 already tell Djoko's 2011 run was a one-off? I think so...), I still hold him as the main candidate for most of the clay titles, including RG.

Well should he be able to manage the above, and of course, STAY HEALTHY, then there are *tons of points* for him up for grabs post RG, whereas the other top players will have quite a lot to defend.
Of course, nothing set-in-stone, perhaps even unlikely, but I'd never count out a multiple GS champion, even if he might well be in a sort-of decline. But let's first await the upcoming AO, that should be indicative of his chances.

Ben. 11-05-2012 06:35 PM

Very doubtful as we don't know what he will be like when he returns. Most likely he will be a mental mug until clay, as he was when he returned in 2009.

He was leading the race before Rosol beat him though :shrug:

Mental Giant 11-05-2012 06:36 PM

Just a matter of time.