MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Challenger Series (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   New rule for first few months of Challengers next year (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=212115)

TBarm7 10-29-2012 04:54 PM

New rule for first few months of Challengers next year

The “NO LET” rule will be in effect on a trial basis at all Challenger Events held in the first 3 months of 2013.

RULE = A serve that touches the net, strap or band, is in play.

I've already talked to a lot of players on tour that can't stand this rule. I know its used in mens college tennis and wtt, but this is where guys make their living. Should be interesting.

Filo V. 10-29-2012 05:00 PM

Re: New rule for first few months of Challengers next year

Horrible rule, hopefully it's scrapped before the third month. And it definitely wont last the season. Players will revolt before that happens.

J99 10-29-2012 05:00 PM

Yeah, I already knew about this, not liking it, by the sounds of things the players don't either.

willoughby 10-29-2012 08:52 PM

This rule is terrible. Hopefully it'll be removed after just one or two weeks, and won't be screwing up the challenger circuit during three months.

Hans Anders 10-30-2012 12:00 PM

Woulden't it be more informative to explain WHY you people all think this is a terrible change? I don't think it is that bad, it removes additional pauses of which the game already has so many. Players may need some time to adjust, but this goes for any change of rules (Federer used to hate Hawk eye).

The only occurrance where this rule change really makes a difference is when the ball touches the net quite firmly and its trajectory becomes completely different while still being in. This is quite rare though. So please explain to me what the big problem is...

TBarm7 10-30-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans Anders (Post 12517387)
Woulden't it be more informative to explain WHY you people all think this is a terrible change? I don't think it is that bad, it removes additional pauses of which the game already has so many. Players may need some time to adjust, but this goes for any change of rules (Federer used to hate Hawk eye).

The only occurrance where this rule change really makes a difference is when the ball touches the net quite firmly and its trajectory becomes completely different while still being in. This is quite rare though. So please explain to me what the big problem is...

Why trick up the game for a silly change? It hardly saves time at all. What, maybe 2 minutes a match? This really effects Challengers in Europe more than the States. Players have always said nets are pulled looser in Europe which will allow some serves to "fall" in after it clips the tape. As mentioned before, this rule was put in college mens tennis to take away cheating, but since we don't have that on the Pro Circuit, this rule is a joke and I'm sure wont be used after the 3 month trial period.

BTW, Federer still hates Hawkeye!

Hans Anders 10-30-2012 01:44 PM

Removing rules doens't mean you 'trick up' the game. I think the rule shoulden't have been introduced in the first place. The sport should be kept as simple as possible, without making it unplayable. They removed this rule for volleybal as well, and nobody misses it there.. My prediction is that the test will be succesful and that the ATP tour is up next.

ciprianned 10-30-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filo V. (Post 12515756)
Horrible rule, hopefully it's scrapped before the third month. And it definitely wont last the season. Players will revolt before that happens.

this!

Chilenaitor 10-31-2012 01:00 AM

bad bad rule..

Action Jackson 10-31-2012 03:27 AM

They should focus on getting more prizemoney to the Challengers and Futures than this gimmick.

Hans Anders 10-31-2012 12:06 PM

So many compelling arguments, maybe I should reconsider... :facepalm:

TBarm7 10-31-2012 01:07 PM

Phillip Simmonds made a great point to me yesterday. He wishes instead of a silly rule like this, he wishes all the balls they would use on the year would be the same. There have been mulitple petitions from players this year on the poor balls used in the Pro Circuit. There is definitely a difference in the balls these players used at the USO and then two weeks later in California.

Nathaliia 10-31-2012 01:12 PM

i guess players may cringe when an important ball (maybe breakpoint) is decided by a dead ball falling right behind the net when they're ready to receive

after all, in volleyball you have a few people on the pitch, 1-2 of them are responsible to catch these accidental balls. in tennis you have one guy on the baseline

TBarm7 10-31-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Action Jackson (Post 12519389)
They should focus on getting more prizemoney to the Challengers and Futures than this gimmick.

In the States you'll never see a USTA Challenger over 100k because then it would be an ATP event. We(Dallas) were lucky enough just like 5 other Challengers to get bumped up to a 100k, but we'll never exceed that, unfortunately.

fsilva 10-31-2012 03:28 PM

What's the difference between a serve ball clipping the net and landing in on a break point or a forehand hitting the top of the net and "dying" over the net for a clean "winner"?? As a competitive tennis player myself, I really don't find this rule any offensive!!