MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Non-Tennis (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Boy Scouts: Don't let your anti-gay policy deny my son his Eagle award. (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=210955)

Filo V. 10-05-2012 05:50 PM

Boy Scouts: Don't let your anti-gay policy deny my son his Eagle award.

Please read and sign this campaign, especially if you're an American. We cannot let the hate win:
http://www.change.org/petitions/boy-...share_petition

by Karen Andresen

My son Ryan needs your help.

Ryan joined the Boy Scouts when he was just six years old, and since then, he's dreamed of earning his Eagle award -- the highest rank in the Boy Scouts.

Ryan is now a senior in high school, and just completed the final requirements to earn his Eagle Award. He's an honor student with great SAT scores, who's hoping to attend the University of San Francisco. But because he recently came out to his friends and family as gay, leaders from our local Boy Scout troop say they won't approve his Eagle award.

A Boy Scout gets his Eagle by earning many badges, completing all lower Scout rank requirements, and carrying out an approved final project. So Ryan decided to build a "Tolerance Wall" for his school, to show bully victims -- like Ryan -- that they are not alone. Ryan worked countless hours with elementary students to amass a wall of 288 unique tiles, all illustrating acts of kindness.

But when leadership in Troop 212 (San Francisco Bay Area) found out that Ryan was gay, the Scoutmaster said he refused to sign the official paperwork designating Ryan as an Eagle Scout, despite the fact that Ryan completed all of the requirements.

Many troops around the country are standing up, choosing to reject the Boy Scouts' discriminatory policy. I sincerely hope that Ryan's troop will become one of them. And with your help, they just might.

It hurts me so much to watch Ryan suffer for being who he is, because to me, he's perfect. Ryan has worked for nearly 12 years to become an Eagle Scout, and nothing would make him more proud than earning that well-deserved distinction. I hope that if enough people come together, we can convince my son's troop leaders to help him feel proud of who he is and all he's accomplished.

"Citizenship in the Community," a merit badge earned, means standing up for what is right, and I am proud of Ryan for doing just that. Will you stand with him too, and join this campaign?

Brick Top 10-05-2012 07:09 PM

Re: Boy Scouts: Don't let your anti-gay policy deny my son his Eagle award.

"No medals for sissy boys!"

Filo V. 10-05-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brick Top (Post 12463736)
"No medals for sissy boys!"

Yup, you don't get a medal, sissy. Hope that doesn't affect you too much.

Brick Top 10-05-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filo V. (Post 12463781)
Yup, you don't get a medal, sissy. Hope that doesn't affect you too much.

Ouch, You are too sharp for a passive boy :kiss:

The Prince 10-05-2012 07:55 PM

Gay politics forum. :o

The Prince 10-05-2012 07:57 PM

Seriously though, it's a bad attitude to possess. Discrimination in such a way is bad. Although that's stating the obvious.

:hatoff:

Kat_YYZ 10-05-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Many troops around the country are standing up, choosing to reject the Boy Scouts' discriminatory policy. I sincerely hope that Ryan's troop will become one of them. And with your help, they just might.
Is it the organization's official policy? Or just Troop 212? Any statement out of their headquarters (I'm assuming they have some kind of central powerbase or something that oversees all the chapters).

buddyholly 10-05-2012 09:45 PM

They have to keep them out because they were corrupting the Scout Masters!

Filo V. 10-05-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ (Post 12463853)
Is it the organization's official policy? Or just Troop 212? Any statement out of their headquarters (I'm assuming they have some kind of central powerbase or something that oversees all the chapters).

It's organization policy. If you are same-sex attracted, you are not allowed in the Scouts, regardless of age or if you're discreet/closeted.

Filo V. 10-05-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brick Top (Post 12463783)
Ouch, You are too sharp for a passive boy :kiss:

Do you think you're witty? Put your pacifier in, I'm tired of hearing your bullshit.

Filo V. 10-05-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddyholly (Post 12463951)
They have to keep them out because they were corrupting the Scout Masters!

Sadly, I've seen people say this very thing for serious.

Brick Top 10-05-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filo V. (Post 12463973)
Do you think you're witty? Put your pacifier in, I'm tired of hearing your bullshit.

I'll leave you with your favorite dildo :wavey:

Filo V. 10-05-2012 11:42 PM

I know of a man who is a bit older than me that got ***** while he was a scout. The BSA turns a blind eye to pedophilia and then effectively blames gay men and implies we're predators, or that "morally straight" kids need to be protected from us. They are a hate group.

buddyholly 10-06-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filo V. (Post 12463975)
Sadly, I've seen people say this very thing for serious.

Yes, probably true. I am relieved you didn't think I was one of them. Too many people think they do it because they are gay, without realising that they do it because they are pedophiles, who happen to be gay.

Topspindoctor 10-06-2012 12:15 AM

Boy Scouts sounds like a closeted gay organization. Judging by the name alone :o