MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dolgopolov: illness and clownship (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=210841)

Sanya 10-03-2012 08:02 PM

Dolgopolov: illness and clownship

I guess mainly fans know that Alex suffers from Gilbert's Syndrome. That`s why he usually has a lot of troubles in first round match in case of long trip, needs time to adjust. Though I think that his, let`s say, frivolous attitude to some matches is incredible itself. During one match he can play for 15 minutes like GOAT and then lose 10 points in a row.

I wonder when you are watching his matches and Dolg is going to inevitable loss you can distinguish yourself where he is just in poor form, the obvious health case and tanking whatever the reason is? Personally I can`t.

I understand that more or less Alexandr will always have to fight in every match having this Syndrome, but still it`s not always is/was/will be the main reason for him to lose.

Any notices for him to have different behaviour, body language - something like this, anyone?

Orange Wombat 10-03-2012 08:19 PM

Re: Dolgopolov: illness and clownship

Gilbert's affects him when he travels, not when he plays matches.

TigerTim 10-03-2012 08:21 PM

:lol: this would make a great autobiography title!

Sanya 10-03-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange Wombat (Post 12459979)

What a stupid me. :worship: And yes, after he leaves plane in 10 minutes already it has no effect on him. :rolleyes:

Helevorn 10-03-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange Wombat (Post 12459979)

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tenni...0/08/tk-8.html

MuzzahLovah 10-03-2012 08:41 PM

The word is clownery.

Henry Chinaski 10-03-2012 08:46 PM

best thread title since David Pics Ferrer

Orange Wombat 10-03-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helevorn (Post 12460008)

Okay fine, maybe when he plays matches too. I am not a Dolgopolov expert, Sanya.

I just read a couple of interviews when he said that that after travelling he feels ill and cannot play matches, and never read when he actually plays matches he feels it.

Thank you, Helvorn for correcting me.

The thing is, if he feels it only sometimes, as a viewer you can never know when it is affecting him and when it is not.

Sanya 10-03-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah (Post 12460012)
The word is clownery.

Actually I wasn`t sure, looked up, but my dictionary gave it to me as a noun. Yep, you are right, my bad.

MuzzahLovah 10-03-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanya (Post 12460023)
Actually I wasn`t sure, looked up, but my dictionary gave it to me as a noun. Yep, you are right, my bad.

Clownship sounds like a cool name for a band though :D

EliSter 10-03-2012 08:53 PM

Clown has been, clown he is and clown shall be.

TigerTim 10-03-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah (Post 12460028)
Clownship sounds like a cool name for a band though :D

sounds a good name for a hot air balloon :scratch: :lol:

J99 10-04-2012 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange Wombat (Post 12460020)
Okay fine, maybe when he plays matches too. I am not a Dolgopolov expert, Sanya.

I just read a couple of interviews when he said that that after travelling he feels ill and cannot play matches, and never read when he actually plays matches he feels it.

Thank you, Helvorn for correcting me.

The thing is, if he feels it only sometimes, as a viewer you can never know when it is affecting him and when it is not.

Well he doesn't really pull out anywhere, so he obviously can play matches, the only thing he doesn't play because it's too much of a strain is Davis Cup.

Puschkin 10-04-2012 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanya (Post 12459960)
Any notices for him to have different behaviour, body language - something like this, anyone?

I don't think there is a possibility for someone watching (be it live or on TV) to seriously differ between health problems and just bad play. His game is very risky, in general, so the line between triumph and desaster is always a very thin one.

What I just don't understand - given his health problems - that he schedules rather poorly. He has to pick his tournaments with more care and not entering as much as possible.

Sombrerero loco 10-04-2012 09:29 AM

the thread´s name :hysteric: