MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why was carpet ended? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=210295)

TigerTim 09-21-2012 07:57 PM

Why was carpet ended?

Sorry if this has been done, I tried to search and couldnt find anything.

I loved carpet, it seemed they began to phase out in the late 90s but why? Thought that was before surface homogenisation?

Edit: to ppl blaming Rafeal and co. YEC switched to hard in 97, 2 carpet masters shrunk to 1 in 99

GOATsol 09-21-2012 07:58 PM

Re: Why was carpet ended?

They knew Rafito would come along and wouldn't be able to win a single game on carpet so saved him from the embarrassment.

Sanya 09-21-2012 08:00 PM

GOATsol 09-21-2012 08:01 PM

^
lol

abraxas21 09-21-2012 08:04 PM

there's a leeengthy thread about how nadal/federer lobbied to the ATP to stop using carpet as a surface in ATP tournaments.

I personally think the pressure from those 2 is exaggerated here. The ATP would have probably get rid of carpet one way or the other. It was just highly convenient for them that their 2 biggest stars were up for it too.

i guess i could also say that both federer and nadal benefited from this. nadal especially, but that still hasn't allowed him to fare well in the indoor season.

TigerTim 09-21-2012 08:04 PM

I expect this. But seriously :lol:

Any ideas???

TigerTim 09-21-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abraxas21 (Post 12437714)
there's a leeengthy thread about how nadal/federer lobbied to the ATP to stop using carpet as a surface in ATP tournaments.

Yes but it was already being phased out.

Tag 09-21-2012 08:05 PM

excellent first replies

muster started moaning about fast carpet in 95(?). even sampras (yes, the same sampras who was a beast on fast courts) complained one end of year tournament/end of year masters that you couldn't see the ball properly

then federer and nadal complained that their games did not translate well to properly fast surfaces, and that was the fatal blow

abraxas21 09-21-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerTim (Post 12437715)
I expect this. But seriously :lol:

Any ideas???

i expanded the post a little bit but i think tag is more in the line of the answer you're looking for

TigerTim 09-21-2012 08:20 PM

Intresting about Sampras :eek:

156mphserve 09-21-2012 08:33 PM

Because it wa too easy to stain :sad:

caisenma 09-21-2012 08:40 PM

because of injuries/injury fears, most likely.

i've done my ankle in quite bad on carpet before. it's a shit surface, as far as i'm concerned. faster than the wind though, which in itself would make for a nice change on tour.

Tag 09-21-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerTim (Post 12437749)

Intresting about Sampras :eek:

yeah, it's unusual since his game suited the surface so well

i forget which tournament it was was, but it was mid 90s. think he might have won it as well, so he complained even though he won

Tag 09-21-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caisenma (Post 12437796)
because of injuries/injury fears, most likely.

i've done my ankle in quite bad on carpet before. it's a shit surface, as far as i'm concerned. faster than the wind though, which in itself would make for a nice change on tour.

far more players have been injured on hard courts (especially this current brand) than on carpet. actually, i can recall more injuries, however slight, on grass courts and clay courts than on carpet

TigerTim 09-21-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tag (Post 12437831)
far more players have been injured on hard courts (especially this current brand) than on carpet. actually, i can recall more injuries, however slight, on grass courts and clay courts than on carpet

agreed. And think of the long term damaged done on grinding slow hard courts like we have today.