MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Non-Tennis (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Wire is the best TV-series ever (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=210169)

Nr 1 Fan 09-18-2012 08:14 PM

The Wire is the best TV-series ever

It sure is the best I ever watched.
I am currently racing through the third season and it's just so good.

Let this be a thread for fans to discuss the show and for others to discover it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0306414/

Ben. 09-18-2012 08:19 PM

Re: The Wire is the best TV-series ever

Amen.

Gagsquet 09-18-2012 08:20 PM

A good friend thinks like you. Still have to watch.

TigerTim 09-18-2012 08:21 PM

Wrong. Blackadder is superior. *still needs to watch last few episodes of the Wire*

Ben. 09-18-2012 08:23 PM

Sounds like you need to watch the last 60 episodes Tim :p

Nr 1 Fan 09-18-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerTim (Post 12432420)
Wrong. Blackadder is superior. *still needs to watch last few episodes of the Wire*

Never saw Blackadder, but that's a different genre, difficult to compare. The Wire just leaves me speechless, because of how deep it goes and it makes me think like no other tv-show can/does.

TigerTim 09-18-2012 08:34 PM

The Wire is insane. But it didn't cause me to laugh uncontrollably for 5 minutes. Then again if it did there would be something wrong with me.

GSMnadal 09-18-2012 08:38 PM

Thanks for the tip, downloading as we speak.

EddieNero 09-18-2012 09:03 PM

Is it really that good? I'm very thirsty for a quality TV-series.

TigerTim 09-18-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieNero (Post 12432493)

yes.

Nr 1 Fan 09-18-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieNero (Post 12432493)

It is, but you have to give it some time, since It's not the easiest series and all about telling their story and making you think instead of going for cheap thrills and quick excitement.

It's highly realistic too, cause the writers followed the police closely for a year, wrote a book about their experienced and then made The Wire.

Ben. 09-18-2012 09:32 PM

David Simon spent a year with the Baltimore Homicide Division, which he wrote a book on. That became Homicide: Life on the Street. Then he wrote another book, which became a miniseries called The Corner. Check these out too if you like The Wire.

Also, it caused me to burst out laughing many times. From Clay Davis, to Bunk, Brother Mouzne, etc ,etc.

As Nr 1 Fan says, this isn't an action packed cop show. It's strengths are its realism, depth and densely populated world. It is very deliberately paced and plotted.

Nr 1 Fan 09-18-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hat__boy (Post 12432532)
David Simon spent a year with the Baltimore Homicide Division, which he wrote a book on. That became Homicide: Life on the Street. Then he wrote another book, which became a miniseries called The Corner. Check these out too if you like The Wire.

Also, it caused me to burst out laughing many times. From Clay Davis, to Bunk, Brother Mouzne, etc ,etc.

As Nr 1 Fan says, this isn't an action packed cop show. It's strengths are its realism, depth and densely populated world. It is very deliberately paced and plotted.

I've got 'Homicide' laying on my desk as we speak and I am plannig on reading it as soon as I've finished the show.

It had humour indeed, but IMO It's very dark and cynical humour, as the characters (especially the cops) ask themselves what the point is of what they do, because it is all so corrupt and 'the game never changes'.

Har-Tru 09-18-2012 10:07 PM

It's good, but as most HBO shows, it can get slow to the point of being tedious.

Lopez 09-18-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nr 1 Fan (Post 12432400)
It sure is the best I ever watched.
I am currently racing through the third season and it's just so good.

Let this be a thread for fans to discuss the show and for others to discover it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0306414/

Preach brother! :worship:

Many friends talked about it and I finally started to watch it. Currently at the third season finale. Amazing series. Characters and story are so good, it's unbelievable.