MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   WWW Davis cup SF: Argentina-Czech Rep. (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=209962)

motorhead 09-13-2012 03:02 PM

WWW Davis cup SF: Argentina-Czech Rep.

http://www.daviscup.com/en/results/t...ieId=100017690

August 09-13-2012 06:11 PM

Re: WWW Davis cup SF: Argentina-Czech Rep.

Minar/Rosol as Czech doubles team, interesting. Berdy/Sexy have played well in DC, I think that would've been easiest win for Czechs. DelPo v. Stepanek, DelPo will win if he's OK. Monaco v. Berdych may be a tighter one, still think Berdy will win. DelPo v. Berdy, either player can win, DelPo's wrist is in an important role. Then final match, Monaco v. Stepanek. Monaco should win. On the other hand, these players have played final rubber against each other already before, in '09, although in Czech Republic on carpet. Monaco had had 5-set loss to Berdy, Sexy had only played in 3-set doubles win. In that final match Sexy beat Monaco in three sets.

Unless it's 2:0 for Czechs after first day, I think they should change Berdy/Sexy to doubles (if that's possble), maybe already at 2:0, they could secure win already on Saturday.

Personally I hope so badly Argentina to win this tie and the whole DC. But Czech Republic in DC final against Spain wouldn't sound too bad. If Rafa made comeback for DC final, there could be an epic match against Rosol.

Trollin Stone 09-13-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by August (Post 12421624)
Minar/Rosol as Czech doubles team, interesting. Berdy/Sexy have played well in DC, I think that would've been easiest win for Czechs. DelPo v. Stepanek, DelPo will win if he's OK. Monaco v. Berdych may be a tighter one, still think Berdy will win. DelPo v. Berdy, either player can win, DelPo's wrist is in an important role. Then final match, Monaco v. Stepanek. Monaco should win. On the other hand, these players have played final rubber against each other already before, in '09, although in Czech Republic on carpet. Monaco had had 5-set loss to Berdy, Sexy had only played in 3-set doubles win. In that final match Sexy beat Monaco in three sets.

Unless it's 2:0 for Czechs after first day, I think they should change Berdy/Sexy to doubles (if that's possble), maybe already at 2:0, they could secure win already on Saturday.

Personally I hope so badly Argentina to win this tie and the whole DC. But Czech Republic in DC final against Spain wouldn't sound too bad. If Rafa made comeback for DC final, there could be an epic match against Rosol.

Like you have never heard of Navratil:rolleyes: Ofc Berd/Step will play doubles. He is doing this all the time but I still dont know what is the purpose of it when every1 knows who will play on Saturday.

abraxas21 09-13-2012 06:50 PM

interesting match up

you never know with birshit but i have a feeling he's gonna suck big time here.

Mark Lenders 09-13-2012 06:51 PM

I think that even with his injury Del Potro will beat both Berdych and Stepanek, but Mugaco will lose to both. It will come down to the doubles. Shame Nalby can't play for Argentina.

JurajCrane 09-13-2012 06:55 PM

Berdych/Stepanek on Saturday - no matter what.

I have heard rumors saying that Rosol will play on Friday against Del Potro to save Stepanek´s energy for Saturday or Sunday.

Horatio Caine 09-13-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JurajCrane (Post 12421728)
Berdych/Stepanek on Saturday - no matter what.

I have heard rumors saying that Rosol will play on Friday against Del Potro to save Stepanek´s energy for Saturday or Sunday.

Berdych/Stepanek on Saturday is about as certain as death and taxes.

I am also expecting Rosol to play tomorrow. The Czechs have nothing much to gain by playing Stepanek in best-of-5 singles on clay at this stage of his career. Despite the head-to-heads, I wouldn't expect him to beat either Monaco or Del Potro.

Rosol, on the other hand, has proved what he can do on a big stage (Wimbledon this year, and French Open last year), and would have little to lose in either singles this weekend. Del Potro may be visibly handicapped, which would be an opportunity. Failing that, his big game could give Monaco fits in a possible live 5th rubber. Monaco certainly the more likely to suffer nerves in that event.

A chance that Rosol could be the hero of the weekend imo.

As for the outcome of the weekend, it all rests on Del Potro. If he is fit enough to play to a good level, he should win both singles matches. Monaco should be favoured to win his match against the Czech #2 - ergo, Argentina small favourite. Also a chance that Monaco might catch Berdych sleeping on Friday - could see a 2-0 lead for Argentina after tomorrow.

Sanya 09-13-2012 07:19 PM

Monaco will win against Radek, no chance for him, IMO. Caly, 5 sets - he is too old to beat such a consistent player with crowd behind his opponent. :sad: For me it looks like Argentina takes twp points against Stepanek, Czech Rep. takes doubles. Both Delpo and Monaco have their chances with Tomas, so I would put my money on argies.

Only if Delpo isn`t able to play full matches Nalby won`t have a chance to realize his dream in two monthes.

August 09-13-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanya (Post 12421771)
Monaco will win against Radek, no chance for him, IMO. Caly, 5 sets - he is too old to beat such a consistent player with crowd behind his opponent. :sad: For me it looks like Argentina takes twp points against Stepanek, Czech Rep. takes doubles. Both Delpo and Monaco have their chances with Tomas, so I would put my money on argies.

Only if Delpo isn`t able to play full matches Nalby won`t have a chance to realize his dream in two monthes.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, Monaco and Radek played the 5th rubber also three years ago. That was on carpet in Czech rep. Monaco had had a 5-set loss to Berdy in 1st rubber. He didn't play in doubles whereas Radek had only played in 3-set doubles win. That Steps-Monaco match ended in Radek's 3-set win. I don't know why Monaco played that badly against Stepanek, despite taking match against Berdych 'til the 5th set. I'm quite sure that already in '09 Berdy was more difficult player to beat on carpet than Steps, maybe Monaco was tired. Or he was too nervous. I would rest Steps against DelPo, and put him playing against Monaco for reasons above unless Rosol impresses against DelPo.

Sanya 09-13-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by August (Post 12421792)
As I mentioned in my earlier post, Monaco and Radek played the 5th rubber also three years ago. That was on carpet in Czech rep. Monaco had had a 5-set loss to Berdy in 1st rubber. He didn't play in doubles whereas Radek had only played in 3-set doubles win. That Steps-Monaco match ended in Radek's 3-set win. I don't know why Monaco played that badly against Stepanek, despite taking match against Berdych 'til the 5th set. I'm quite sure that already in '09 Berdy was more difficult player to beat on carpet than Steps, maybe Monaco was tired. Or he was too nervous. I would rest Steps against DelPo, and put him playing against Monaco for reasons above unless Rosol impresses against DelPo.

Well, I see your point, but 3 years is a long term. 3 years ago Davydenko for a few monthes was the best player in the world and where he is now. :sad: Radek really looks for me like old player in all his matches this year which I watched. And I hope you won`t compare carpet in Czech with clay in Argentina. ;) Monaco has more confidence now too.

uxyzapenje 09-13-2012 10:31 PM

Delpo beats Step/Rosol, Tomas beats Monaco, Czech take the doubles and Delpo beats Tomas (if he can play, if he's injured then gg for Cz) It comes down to Rosol vs Monaco IMO. If Delpo is injured, Czech will win for sure, no way Berlocq or Schwank will beat anybody...

xargon 09-14-2012 12:00 AM

Argies please win!!

shotgun 09-14-2012 02:43 AM

The only chance for the Czechs here is Berdych winning his two singles matches, but it would take a really impaired Del Potro to lose to him on home soil, and even Monaco upsetting him tomorrow is not out of question at all. The only point where the Czechs losing would be a real surprise is doubles.

August 09-14-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JurajCrane (Post 12421728)

I checked DC rules (pages 22-23), and it states you can substitute player in first day's matches only because of illness/injury or for disciplinary reasons, and that player can't play anymore in that tie. So obviously Stepanek must now play against DelPo. So it would've been better to nominate Rosol as second singles player, and if he plays badly, then substitute him with Stepanek for Sunday, as it's possible to substitute a singles player for Sunday for 10 minutes after 2nd rubber.

August 09-15-2012 07:12 PM

So Argies can win this only in 5th rubber. Argies will have Monaco in that match but what do you think which player Czechs should have, Stepanek or Rosol? Steps beat Pico 7-6(2), 6-1 in Cincy but that was on hard courts, earlier this year, in their only clay meeting, in Rome Pico won 6-4, 6-2. Besides, three years ago, in DC 5th rubber Steps won in three sets even though Pico had taken 1st rubber against Berdy to 5th sets. On the other hand, that was on carpet and Steps was younger then. The only match Rosol has played against Pico was at RG this year, Pico won 7-6(4), 6-0, 7-6(5).

I think if Pico plays like he played against Berdy, neither Steps or Rosol can beat him. But I can't forget his choke in 4th set, as well as losing 5th set right after after taking two breaks back. So choking is the only reason I can think why Pico would lose. and that's why I'd rely more on Steps, he's won 5th rubbers also before. But is he good enough to give any pressure to Pico. And I think Rosol is an even bigger question mark, I really don't know what to expect from him, and can he handle the 5th rubber's pressure when playing in Argentina? I'd take Steps if I thought he can beat choking Monaco, otherwise I'd take Rosol. But anyway, I hope Argentina to win.