MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Federer makes a last minute commitment to Davis Cup in Netherlands (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=209882)

bobbynorwich 09-11-2012 01:37 PM

Federer makes a last minute commitment to Davis Cup in Netherlands

Federer has announced today 9/11 that he'll play Davis Cup this weekend in Netherlands, and will arrive tomorrow. Obviously he waited for the results of yesterday's US Open before deciding as this is a very late commitment. What would his thinking be? Maybe that he won't have to play so many Asian tourneys because he's so far ahead of Djokovic and can play a lesser point event? Other ideas?

:confused:

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/stor...weekend-091112

abraxas21 09-11-2012 01:40 PM

Re: Federer makes a last minute commitment to Davis Cup in Netherlands

:confused:

manadrainer 09-11-2012 01:45 PM

Shit. Worst decision ever. Who cares about Davis cup?

philosophicalarf 09-11-2012 01:45 PM

Prolly cos he lost in the UO QFs, it's not much of a physical challenge, 9 days gap. If he'd played Sunday or Monday, doubt he'd be there.

finishingmove 09-11-2012 01:48 PM

I don't understand. Is he playing for Holland? :confused:

Corey Feldman 09-11-2012 01:49 PM

he's still making sure he keeps Swiss in the world group, just to keep trying to win a DC as an option for him sometime

its a pain in the arse though as DC always is

will mean more surface changing

duong 09-11-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbynorwich (Post 12416953)
Federer has announced today 9/11 that he'll play Davis Cup this weekend in Netherlands, and will arrive tomorrow. Obviously he waited for the results of yesterday's US Open before deciding as this is a very late commitment.

no no no he was officially in the team already tuesday 8 days ago and his presence had been confirmed in Swiss media two weeks ago, only in recent days he had put his presence in doubt, I don't know why, physical problem, Mirka or anything. He has other things in his life than watching the US Open final on TV :rolleyes:

I'm also afraid that the whole fuss about the prize money in slams may take a lot of time and energy from him even though the ATP staff makes most of the hard work he has a lot to do for that especially to talk with the players, and the Aus Open has to announce the prize money for next year in a few weeks.

Anyway he was not expected to play any other Asian tournament than Shanghai, and if anything yesterday's result saves his chance for the year-end number 1 then would rather be an incentive NOT to play Davis cup to save energy to play more in the rest of the year.

Slasher1985 09-11-2012 01:53 PM

Eh, he's only gonna play one singles match and probably the doubles match. That hardly counts as tiring. Don't tell me Sijsling can actually take a set from him, to keep Fed in for more than 2 hours.

Looner 09-11-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slasher1985 (Post 12417001)
Eh, he's only gonna play one singles match and probably the doubles match. That hardly counts as tiring. Don't tell me Sijsling can actually take a set from him, to keep Fed in for more than 2 hours.

That is if Wawa wins his other match. Which he should.

Slasher1985 09-11-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Looner (Post 12417006)
That is if Wawa wins his other match. Which he should.

Haase can't beat Wawa if you ask me. And if you do ask me, the doubles match is actually the hardest part. Wawa may have to win two singles matches. :D

duong 09-11-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

it's not sure it's Sijsling, actually it'd rather be De Bakker who's recently won two challengers on clay, one last sunday, who is not back to his best level but still is back at a good level on clay and has often played wll in Davis cup (defeated Monfils on clay).

Sijsling (who was the title holder) was out of last week challenger for whatever reason.

Anyway, Wawrinka often has problems against Haase (he's 5-0 in the H2H but all but one were tight matches, including on clay) and the dutch doubles team is good, then it's far from sure that Roger only has two matches to play : most of the time he has two singles to play when he plays Davis cup.

Corey Feldman 09-11-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

used to think the same but the prep they put in for DC is to practise hard all week on clay and then play best of 5 matches three days in a row - its really like an extra tournament added

it does more damage than you think

the quick surface change also irritates

abraxas21 09-11-2012 02:05 PM

clay is actually a good preparation for shanghai

Slice Winner 09-11-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abraxas21 (Post 12417024)
clay is actually a good preparation for shanghai

Did Shanghai not get sped up recently? Wait, I'm thinking of Beijing.

duong 09-11-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slice Winner (Post 12417094)
Did Shanghai not get sped up recently? Wait, I'm thinking of Beijing.

last year, Shanghai was reasonably quick imo, previous year it was slower.