MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   With the slowing of the surfaces and mega defense, should modern players volley more? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=209843)

Johnny Groove 09-11-2012 01:24 AM

With the slowing of the surfaces and mega defense, should modern players volley more?

We have seen how these guys can get balls back and back and back all damn day. Many times in both the USO and AO finals of this year, I saw many chances for guys to come into net and close with a winning volley. But they don't, retreat, and play another 10 shots :facepalm:

Either they are afraid of the other fellow's passing shots, or they have no confidence in their own net game or both. I think these guys need to learn to volley better, and it will save their bodies instead of playing 25 shots every single rally :shrug:

TigerTim 09-11-2012 01:26 AM

Re: With the slowing of the surfaces and mega defense, should modern players volley m

yes, volley is actually very useful, Edberg, McEnroe and even Henman showed it works on slow surfaces.

cmoss 09-11-2012 01:28 AM

Re: With the slowing of the surfaces and mega defense, should modern players volley m

It's too dangerous,this is pusher era.:wavey:

sexybeast 09-11-2012 01:29 AM

The volley won Federer the Wimbledon final, but I dont know if it works on midpaced courts like the current hardcourt in Usopen. AO is out of question, Federer got destroyed by Nadals passing shots in AO.

Johnny Groove 09-11-2012 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexybeast (Post 12415277)
The volley won Federer the Wimbledon final, but I dont know if it works on midpaced courts like the current hardcourt in Usopen. AO is out of question, Federer got destroyed by Nadals passing shots in AO.

Well, that's cause Federer stupidly approached the Nadal forehand over and over again :facepalm:

Approach the BH and see what happens. And this current match, my God. So much defensive slicing, those balls should have been volleyed away for easy winners.

TigerTim 09-11-2012 01:35 AM

indeed, Murray should work on his volley for the next 6 months and at Wimbledon he would be very deadly

Slice also, Djokovic's form on the slice is average at best, Murray not much better

aussie_fan 09-11-2012 01:37 AM

Once these players realise that this gamestyle is unsustainable for their body's health it might happen, give it a few years maybe.

selyoink 09-11-2012 01:45 AM

What is this volleying you speak of? I've never heard of it.

Courts need to be sped up. They don't have to play like ice but they shouldn't play like they do. Not good for the viewers and especially the athletes themselves.

IOFH 09-11-2012 01:45 AM

How many long rallies were there where the other guy was blasting away from the baseline and the othe is getting to everything bc of the surface and putting up floaty defensive slices? That crap makes me sick.

Johnny Groove 09-11-2012 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selyoink (Post 12415421)
What is this volleying you speak of? I've never heard of it.

Courts need to be sped up. They don't have to play like ice but they shouldn't play like they do. Not good for the viewers and especially the athletes themselves.

I agree, but not holding my breath for speeding up the courts. So, to counter, guys need to volley. It's tough seeing guys limp away after hard court slam finals :shrug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by IOFH (Post 12415427)
How many long rallies were there where the other guy was blasting away from the baseline and the othe is getting to everything bc of the surface and putting up floaty defensive slices? That crap makes me sick.

Exactly. I saw this a lot w/ that Delpo-Nole semi as well. If Delpo had anything resembling a net game, he could have at least taken a set.

selyoink 09-11-2012 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Groove (Post 12415454)
I agree, but not holding my breath for speeding up the courts. So, to counter, guys need to volley. It's tough seeing guys limp away after hard court slam finals :shrug:

If players had any sense they would demand speeding the courts up some. I can't imagine Murray, Djokovic and Nadal enjoy playing the types of matches they've had against each other at AO and USO. Nor could Ferrer and Tipsy have enjoyed their match too much either.

Garson007 09-11-2012 01:53 AM

This reminds me, how shit is Novak lobbing this year? Last year he had miracle lobs. Now it's straight on the smashing face. Lost to Federer at Wimbledon partly due to how terrible they were.

philosophicalarf 09-11-2012 01:53 AM

You can see why they don't on higher bounce surfaces, the ball decelerates so much in the air that top defenders have plenty time behind the baseline to get to it and rip a big hit.

Worth it against lesser lights though surely.

ApproachShot 09-11-2012 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Groove (Post 12415235)
We have seen how these guys can get balls back and back and back all damn day. Many times in both the USO and AO finals of this year, I saw many chances for guys to come into net and close with a winning volley. But they don't, retreat, and play another 10 shots :facepalm:

Either they are afraid of the other fellow's passing shots, or they have no confidence in their own net game or both. I think these guys need to learn to volley better, and it will save their bodies instead of playing 25 shots every single rally :shrug:

It's a good point that you raise - especially in terms of adapting one's game to help ensure better longevity in their careers.

Of course a lot of the reason behind the unwillingness for players to come forward to the net (and as a result practice more and improve in that area) can be attributed to the slower courts and higher bouncing courts where the opponent has more time to wind up and hit the passing shot. It's logical that the surfaces that seem to reward coming to the net are the faster and lower bouncing surfaces - yet these are becoming rarer on the tour. But there are other factors besides this also.

When you combine today's racquet technology, improvements in players' physical fitness and the homogenisation of court speeds then that begins to paint a fuller picture. These days you really have to hit a top quality approach shot to be confident in putting away the volley - if the approach shot isn't first class then the chances are that you will be passed at the net.

I'm not saying it can't be done. But spending time on the forecourt game at the expense of the baseline is a risk that players these days seem unwilling to take. You have to remember that the slower courts reward high percentage tennis it might be a safer strategy to be consistent in baseline rallies rather than play with finer margins in trying to hit the perfect approach shot to come to the net behind.

Henry Chinaski 09-11-2012 02:03 AM

Djokovic threw in a sv after 4.5 hours and won the point.

If it had dawned on him to try and shorten points a bit earlier he might not have been dead in the fifth set.

The reluctance to get to the net was ridiculous at times tonight. That 20 shot rally that eventually ended with Djokovic falling over and Murray hitting a winner was a perfect example.

Djokovic hit 5 defensive slices in a row from 3 m behind baseline just to stay in the point but for reasons only known to himself, Murray stayed back.

In hindsight maybe he was cunningly trying to extend points as long as possible.

Speed of conditions was a joke overall though. There was probably 5 or 6 clean winners with both players at the baseline all night.

I don't care how well they defend, that's obscene on what is supposed to be the fast hardcourt slam