MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rafael Nadal Injury/Health Update Thread : Nadal confirmed for Viņa del Mar (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=209282)

Ash86 08-15-2012 11:30 PM

Rafael Nadal Injury/Health Update Thread : Nadal confirmed for Viņa del Mar

Toni just gave an interview on Spanish radio. Said:

- Rafa's career is not in any danger. They are just being cautious.
- Rafa would like to play in Rio 2016 and hopes to compete there (again I suppose emphasising this is not some career ending injury). They all want to extend his career as much as possible and to do that they are taking the conservative approach -- "no more patches". (By this I think he is referring to earlier remarks he made about how this year they've just tried to manage injury in a piece meal way by taking time off in Miami etc. but that is not correct. He needs to wait till he is 100%.)
- It is not the same tendinitis as before, but is related to the same issue.
- Toni's been hearing that Nadal's career will be short all his life - but even if he retired now it would not have been a short career as he's played for a decade as a professional - since he was 16.

They also had some doctor on who said Nadal's tendon had degenerated and needed 3 months of rest. Given that he had most of June off, July and now August, maybe a DC return in September is not too far fetched...

Basically, as always, I think the "his career is over" brigade are going a bit far. If anything this sounds like he's learned from past mistakes and is following exactly what the doctors tell him to try and get the most from what remains of his career. Beating any of the other 3 - Andy, Roger, Nole - would have been tough at the US Open - let alone when not at full match fitness and without competitive play. If he was still suffering a bit, then better to be cautious - at this stage he needs to basically try and maximise slam chances.

As a reminder - think of the Nadal we saw at WTF 2011 - listless, passionless, bagelled by Federer. Next major tournament a few months later - few games away from winning the Australian Open. His body will always be an issue but the fire and motivation to me has been a bigger concern - at least that seems to still be there and perhaps be even stronger due to setbacks. Sounds like Rio 2016 might just be the think that keeps him going even if it seems farfetched right now that he'd be competitive in 4 years time. :lol:

Looner 08-15-2012 11:36 PM

Re: Toni's comments on Rafa's withdrawal

I knew there was no reason to be optimistic about him sliding down the rankings. Look out for him to score another channel slam when he wins his fist WTF this year.

Lopez 08-15-2012 11:37 PM

Thanks for the info but why not post it in the US Open thread? Why a separate thread for this :p?

niff 08-15-2012 11:40 PM

Get a blog.

IOFH 08-15-2012 11:44 PM

Nadal winning WTF NID.

Henry Chinaski 08-15-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

Toni's been hearing that Nadal's career will be short all his life - but even if he retired now it would not have been a short career as he's played for a decade as a professional - since he was 16.
*saying

rinnegan 08-15-2012 11:53 PM

I wish Rafa and his team all the best.

IOFH 08-15-2012 11:57 PM

Probably quite a bit harder to get back at 26 than at 23 for Nadal. It will definitely be interesting to whether he has the will to keep on playing till his 30's even if the success wanes.

SheepleBuster 08-16-2012 12:00 AM

If Murray wins the US Open, I won't give a shit if Rafa retires. Tennis is done at that point. But I am glad Rafa will be back. I may not like him but the guy can play :)

Topspindoctor 08-16-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SheepleBuster (Post 12327004)
If Murray wins the US Open, I won't give a shit if Rafa retires. Tennis is done at that point. But I am glad Rafa will be back. I may not like him but the guy can play :)

Mugray winning a slam is like someone winning a lottery 3 times in a row.

Lleyton_ 08-16-2012 12:23 AM

Yeah winning the WTF vs top 8 indoors after being out of competition for 2-3 months would be totally normal.

EliSter 08-16-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspindoctor (Post 12327050)
Mugray winning a slam is like someone winning a lottery 3 times in a row.

:haha:

Whiznot 08-16-2012 04:50 AM

Happy to see Rafa fans acknowledge the importance of the WTF.

Snowwy 08-16-2012 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lleyton_ (Post 12327071)
Yeah winning the WTF vs top 8 indoors after being out of competition for 2-3 months would be totally normal.

Yeah, if he is back for the WTF, there is no way he is winning it.

MuzzahLovah 08-16-2012 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SheepleBuster (Post 12327004)

He just won the gold medal for tennis in straight sets over the Goat on grass- Can't you just give up on tennis now?