MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his award? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=208755)

abraxas21 08-24-2012 03:07 PM

If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his award?

...And the award -in terms of prize money, recognition and throphy- be given to the runner up?

And what if in ten years' time a very successful player of today's era who, say, managed to defeat in several ocassions an even bigger successful player, gets finally exposed as a long time doper, should he be stripped away from his achievements and be reasigned to his long time rival (in the cases in which that rival got beat in the final and it was certain that doping happened at the time)?

Of course this is only hypothetical and has no resemblance whatsoever to reality. I'm just curious.

Serious replies only please!

Travod 08-24-2012 03:08 PM

Re: if a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

I think taking away the prize money that they may have already used is a bit much.

Renaud 08-24-2012 03:11 PM

Re: If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

Quote:

Originally Posted by abraxas21 (Post 12352167)

Of course this is only hypothetical and has no resemblance whatsoever to reality. I'm just curious.

Of course.

abraxas21 08-24-2012 03:12 PM

Re: If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

i think the ATP/ITF is too soft on these matters.

korda, a known doper, won a GS and no actions were taken in this regard, in spite of the fact that he tested positive only a few months after having won his GS!

Time Violation 08-24-2012 03:13 PM

Agassi admitted to being a party doper and nothing happened. I know it's not exactly like the question from the op, but it's as close as it gets I guess

tennis2tennis 08-24-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abraxas21 (Post 12352167)
...And the award -in terms of prize money, recognition and throphy- be given to the runner up?

It's not like cycling/athletics were you can give it to the runner-up who was officially the second best/fastest etc! In tennis the whole tournament is officially void because the cheater has distorted the outcome starting from round 1!

abraxas21 08-24-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis2tennis (Post 12352185)
It's not like cycling/athletics were you can give it to the runner-up who was officially the second best/fastest etc! In tennis the whole tournament is officially void because the cheater has distorted the outcome starting from round 1!

yes, that's true and it does make sense.

GOATsol 08-24-2012 03:25 PM

Yeah, you can't give it to the runner-up.

Paylu2007 08-24-2012 03:28 PM

I sense something hidden in this thread... but in this hypotetical case, given the importance of the situation, I dont think it would be public, since it woudl hit the sport really hard.

It would be lame if this actually happens.

August 08-24-2012 03:28 PM

If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, I think he should loss his acievements, incl. trophies and prize money. And he should be banned at least for two years. But I don't know if runner-up should get the title, doper's SF opponent was maybe better.

Litotes 08-24-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis2tennis (Post 12352185)

Exactly. In 1994 AO Pete Sampras won, and his hardest match was in R1. How far would his R1 opponent have gone if Pete were removed from the tournament? Impossible to say.

(This example is not an attempt to incriminate Sampras, it was the first slam tournament I could remember where the eventual winner really struggled in R1. There are undoubtedly other examples)

IOFH 08-24-2012 03:29 PM

Yes.

motorhead 08-24-2012 03:30 PM

I think it's fair, no?

Johnny Groove 08-24-2012 03:30 PM

Gee, I wonder what is abraxas' agenda in the OP :rolleyes:

Give it a rest, man. You like a certain right hander, and dislike a certain left hander.

We get it. Mods, does this thread count as a doping accusation? Thinly veiled, but anyone who knows anything knows what's going on here.

mikkemus23 08-24-2012 03:32 PM

Yes.