MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Non-Tennis (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=206702)

out_here_grindin 07-20-2012 11:12 PM

12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing

You have likely heard about this by now, but I still wanted to post it. This is just crazy. The guy apparently was wearing a gas mask and maybe was trying to be like the villain from the new movie.

I was actually at this theatre just last year. My cousin lives in Denver, luckily he was in Oakland,CA yesterday but he is calling his friends and seeing what went down.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/s...,6584688.story

Johnny Groove 07-21-2012 12:03 AM

Re: 12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing

Just a real tragedy.

It is as though the movie world has crossed into our own world.

And the guy's apartment was rigged with booby traps and explosives for when the police got there? It is almost as though this guy wanted to be caught.

He's trying to be the Joker, even told the cops as much.

The Fearhand 07-21-2012 12:06 AM

How can a human being be this senseless and without emotion when doing such horrible horrible things ? My mind just can't grasp it.

Punky 07-21-2012 12:09 AM

ppl lost their mind, i really have no words b/c what can u say after a thing like that?
crule so so crule..i person without a heart.

my Condolences to their families

buddyholly 07-21-2012 01:31 AM

This is a strange one. Doesn't seem like someone gone postal or someone who was a social misfit. Can it really be someone confusing reality and a Batman character? It will be interesting when they piece together his background.

At the moment it just seems like a guy gone crazy. I am not interested in a debate, I don't think the US has a monopoly on crazy people, but I have to conclude the US gun laws allow people to acquire these piles of guns with ease.

RagingLamb 07-21-2012 04:13 AM

A heartbreaking tragedy.

BroTree123 07-21-2012 04:15 AM

What a fucking idiot.

This is so tragic.

Punky 07-21-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddyholly (Post 12235137)
but I have to conclude the US gun laws allow people to acquire these piles of guns with ease.

i think its time they will change that law, not everyone needs or fit to hold a gun

Tommy_Vercetti 07-21-2012 01:03 PM

There was no gun control for almost 160 years. A 10-year old could order a machine gun by mail. How many school or senseless public shootings occurred during that time? You might find a couple incidents maybe from real lunatics, but the point is that trying to blame weapons for the change in culture and society is nonsense. It's sickening how good, democratic laws are often set aside because of incidents like this. Essentially making us ruled by the exception.

TigerTim 07-21-2012 01:10 PM

USA: 10,000 gun relate deaths in 2002
UK: 39 in 2011
Germany: 55 in 2002
Japan: 37 in 2002

Gun control must be something to do with it.

abollo 07-21-2012 01:13 PM

A And yet he is not a terrorist :rolleyes:

Tommy_Vercetti 07-21-2012 01:29 PM

You miss the point. The US has had over 300+ million people for a a long time. The broad statistics are nothing in comparison. And they usually don't bother to break down how much of that comes from people who obtained the weapons illegally and it also includes accidents and suicides.

So politicians deciding to strip the rest of the citizenry of their guns because of a few psychopath's every year and the inner city gang violence is utter nonsense. How much of those statistics do you think come from the states with the most lenient gun laws? Like Alaska, Arizona, Vermont, Utah or Wyoming? Absolutely nothing in comparison to the states and cities with the most oppressive gun laws.

abraxas21 07-21-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abollo (Post 12236419)
A And yet he is not a terrorist :rolleyes:

get your facts straight.

people of arab origin can be "terrorists". a white male killing people in a cinema is only, in the words of BH and lots of mass media outlets, "someone gone postal".

abraxas21 07-21-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddyholly (Post 12235137)
This is a strange one. Doesn't seem like someone gone postal or someone who was a social misfit. Can it really be someone confusing reality and a Batman character? It will be interesting when they piece together his background.

At the moment it just seems like a guy gone crazy. I am not interested in a debate, I don't think the US has a monopoly on crazy people, but I have to conclude the US gun laws allow people to acquire these piles of guns with ease.

i'd love to see you as interested in knowing the background and causes of the ones who blow themselves up in the middle east. but oh wait, they're just arabs riddled with hatred, right? no need to check their motives, then.

you're correct about the last part, though. lenient gun laws make it far too easy for this kind of people to get guns. then again, guns are part of the american culture so it's a tricky issue. i say this with no sense of irony. if the americans want to keep their traditions, they should be well aware of the costs and that means more innocent deaths caused by gun accidents and deliberate attempts to kill others, like in the case exposed in this thread.

abollo 07-21-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abraxas21 (Post 12237295)
get your facts straight.

people of arab origin can be "terrorists". a white male killing people in a cinema is only, in the words of BH and lots of mass media outlets, "someone gone postal".

If he was Muslim he would be called a terrorist. Same like that Norwegian guy.
I would be happy to know how do you define terrorist or terrorism at all?