MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   bet-at-home.com Open, ATP hypocrisy? (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=206307)

Johnny Groove 07-15-2012 11:42 AM

bet-at-home.com Open, ATP hypocrisy?

First off, Hamburg, a great tournament, has been royally fucked by the ATP in recent years. I think this is the 2nd or 3rd year this site has been sponsoring Hamburg, but it reeks of hypocrisy.

The ATP has no problem banning and fining guys ranked 300 or lower for betting 5 euro, preaching integrity, then turn around and ok a move to have a betting site sponsor a tournament?

I know money rules the world, but come on.

TennisGrandSlam 07-15-2012 12:03 PM

Re: bet-at-home.com Open, ATP hypocrisy?

ATP objects to Tennis gambling, but allow her tour to recieve sponsorship from gambling party! It is definite hypocrisy!

Action Jackson 07-15-2012 12:05 PM

They also sponsor Kitz and Stuttgart.

BroTree123 07-15-2012 12:07 PM

It's good that ATP gives us a free comedy show.

shadows 07-15-2012 12:22 PM

It's completely fine.

Dougie 07-15-2012 01:20 PM

I donīt see what the problem is.

Bobby 07-15-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisGrandSlam (Post 12217295)
ATP objects to Tennis gambling, but allow her tour to recieve sponsorship from gambling party! It is definite hypocrisy!

ATP doesn't object tennis gambling in general. Only when players place bets. There's really no problem here.

tennisfan856 07-15-2012 02:04 PM

i see gambling advertisements everywhere on the tour and was thinking this for a while. It's definitely not going anywhere as it really seems some tournys are struggling for endorsements. Not paying 100k appearance fees to certain players would be a good start in cutting costs.

The crowds normally come, name or no name, if the venue is right. Look at WTA Stanford, one of the worst premier draws in recent memory and the stadium still packs itself in qf's and up.

Henry Chinaski 07-15-2012 02:12 PM

well it is kind of ironic that according to ATP directives, the site of the tournament sponsor should be blocked on any servers at the tournament sites.

emotion 07-15-2012 02:21 PM

Btw, why not let players bet so long as it isn't on their opponent?
They'd have an advantage obviously, but it doesn't threaten the sport's integrity

rocketassist 07-15-2012 02:26 PM

Hamburg has been absolutely shit on since 2008. From a huge height.

JMG 07-15-2012 02:32 PM

It's not like the ATP supports this. Didn't they make life hard for Hamburg to get this deal done?

philosophicalarf 07-15-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski (Post 12217756)
well it is kind of ironic that according to ATP directives, the site of the tournament sponsor should be blocked on any servers at the tournament sites.

:-) Idiotic really, given anyone using a mobile won't use local wifi anyway.

As so often with the ATP, they want to give the image of dealing with a problem, without actually doing anything.

Henry Chinaski 07-17-2012 11:30 AM

yup. not that anyone serious enough about betting to try and use a mobile courtside would ever use bet-at-home anyway

buddyholly 07-17-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Groove (Post 12217248)
First off, Hamburg, a great tournament, has been royally fucked by the ATP in recent years. I think this is the 2nd or 3rd year this site has been sponsoring Hamburg, but it reeks of hypocrisy.

The ATP has no problem banning and fining guys ranked 300 or lower for betting 5 euro, preaching integrity, then turn around and ok a move to have a betting site sponsor a tournament?

I know money rules the world, but come on.

Did the ATP pick the sponsor or the owners of the Hamburg tournament?