MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Betting Forum (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=396)
-   -   Epic Sunday (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=205717)

Busterovic 07-07-2012 02:28 AM

Epic Sunday

How often is the word epic overused? Not in this case. The implications are dramatic and its almost guaranteed that one of the top 4 players of our sport will be jaded for a very, very long time come Sunday evening.

If Federer loses you know he'll be heavily doubting his chances to nail #17 down. I'm sure he still believes in his mind that he's just as capable of winning the USO, the AO and Wimby as Nadal and Nole (as well he should), but Federer hasn't won a slam since his 2010 title in Melbourne which was 30 months ago, the longest drought of his career.

This isn't playing Nadal in Paris. He's favored against a guy he's never dropped a set to in a Grand Slam final. If Roger loses this, its going to have a negative long term impact on his psyche.

For Murray, the ramifications are obvious. Its very comparable to the pressure LeBron has faced the last 2 years. When James bowed out last year against Dallas, he bounced back better than ever. I don't see that with Murray, if he bites the bullet, it may be a long, painful recovery.

This to me is probably the most highly anticipated slam in recent times because it pits the greatest player ever going for his first in 30 months and potentially his last ever (although I genuinely believe Federer will play till hes 35. He'll be top 5-10 till then and still be a contender at slams) with a guy who's slam-less and is going for #1 at Wimbledon of all places.

If you can't get up for this you shouldn't watch sports.

At the end though, Federer is back to his ethereal level he showed in Dubai and Rotterdam. When Roger Federer has 10 UE in a 4 set match against Djokovic (he had 62 in 3 sets just 3 weeks ago at RG against Nole), you know hes playing electrifying tennis.

Murray folded against the pressure in 2010 at Melbourne. Now, the pressure is multiplied by 10000000x and Federer is playing better tennis. Only one winner here.

Roger Federer to win Wimbledon over Muzza @ 1.53

nastoff 07-07-2012 02:49 AM

Re: Epic Sunday

I think Federer will win but I'm sitting on the fence for this one because the guy is unpredictable these days.

Busterovic 07-07-2012 03:38 AM

Heres some food for thought:

-Federer is 51-3 away from clay since his defeat last year in the semis of the USO to Djokovic (in a match where he obviously should have won being up a break with 2 break points in the 5th.

-Federer has 7 titles the last 9 months.

-Federer beat Murray on a different surface in Dubai earlier this year but similar in the fact that both surfaces play fast. The Swiss-man created 9 break chances in that one and was only broken once in a straight set win.

-Murray leads the rivalry by a slim 8 to 7 advantage but at one point Murray enjoyed a 6-2 edge. That means that since then Fed is 5-2 against the Scot.

-These guys have never played on any surface other than hard courts.

-The two have played twice in Grand Slams and ironically enough both meetings were in finals. Federer won both including 30 months ago which was his last slam title and almost 4 years ago in Flushing Meadows.

-Fed has never dropped a set to Murray in a GS final.

-Murray has only broken Federer 4 times in Grand Slams over 6 sets.

-Federer has created 22 break points in 2 GS matches and has broken Murray 11 times.

As if all these stats aren't enough theres no secret about the fact that Federer will have WAY less pressure and his level has been better this week. Murray was weak against Baggy and would've been down 2 sets to 1 against anyone in the top 10. He could have easily been down 2 sets to 1 against Ferrer who is pretty inferior on grass and Tsonga almost squared it up at 2 sets apiece even though Tsonga really hasn't been very good since that 5 set loss to Djokovic in Paris.

Murray is an elite player and full marks to him for taking advantage of an opportunity with Nadal going out and not choking it away but this is just going to be another cruel chapter in the Scot's book of tragedies.

Federerfan22 07-07-2012 08:31 AM

How could Murray not fold under the pressure both of his nation and of himself, not having won a single set in three grand slam finals so far?

I'm considering backing Andy, so that I'll have some emotional compensation when Federer loses (I would really hate it if he lost). But whatever I bet, I hope Federer wins. I don't care how, but I'd prefer a 6-2 6-2 6-2 thrashing.

cardio 07-07-2012 10:14 AM

Fed is not consistent as he was 5 years ago. Usually he plays one good match, then couple of bad matches and so on... Now he already played his good match vs top opponent, kept his UE to minimum, served like beast. Of course Djokovic being sub par helped him too.

But final is another day, another opponent, I doubt if Fed can play this flawless game again.IMO, we have same problem what we had in SF - favorite is underpriced. 1.5 is price which would be juicy in 2006 Wimby final against any opposition, now we have 2012 ...it looks kinda short.Basically we have simple question : which Fed shows up - Serverer, Olderer or Shankerer ? I dont know.

I know every person with sane mind stays out of it, but Im not sane, most of us here are addicts. So here we go :

Murray over Federer @2.7

Murka- Fed 4 sets @2.55

GL

ryydman 07-07-2012 03:01 PM

Maestro @ 1.55

Allez!

Julio 07-07-2012 05:04 PM

"Roof or not roof", that's the question. :lol:

Federerfan22 07-07-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julio (Post 12192027)

I doubt whether that decides who wins or loses, although I do think it would favor Federer.

Julio 07-07-2012 07:17 PM

Murray will have no chance if he serves like he did against Tsonga.

Busterovic 07-08-2012 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julio (Post 12192027)

They're both incredible indoors. Probably the 2 best in the world indoors to be honest

nastoff 07-08-2012 05:31 AM

Not sure why I'm not picking "the meastro" to win, while it's so "obvious". I'm struggling between going for over 3 sets ( low odds ) or Murray in the handicap (high odds but high risk too). I have a feeling though that Federer won't be as good as against Djokovic and Murray won't be as bad.
Decisions, decisions...

oh well...

over 3.5 sets @ 1.40

sports freak 07-08-2012 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busterovic (Post 12190688)
How often is the word epic overused? Not in this case. The implications are dramatic and its almost guaranteed that one of the top 4 players of our sport will be jaded for a very, very long time come Sunday evening.

If Federer loses you know he'll be heavily doubting his chances to nail #17 down. I'm sure he still believes in his mind that he's just as capable of winning the USO, the AO and Wimby as Nadal and Nole (as well he should), but Federer hasn't won a slam since his 2010 title in Melbourne which was 30 months ago, the longest drought of his career.

This isn't playing Nadal in Paris. He's favored against a guy he's never dropped a set to in a Grand Slam final. If Roger loses this, its going to have a negative long term impact on his psyche.

For Murray, the ramifications are obvious. Its very comparable to the pressure LeBron has faced the last 2 years. When James bowed out last year against Dallas, he bounced back better than ever. I don't see that with Murray, if he bites the bullet, it may be a long, painful recovery.

This to me is probably the most highly anticipated slam in recent times because it pits the greatest player ever going for his first in 30 months and potentially his last ever (although I genuinely believe Federer will play till hes 35. He'll be top 5-10 till then and still be a contender at slams) with a guy who's slam-less and is going for #1 at Wimbledon of all places.

If you can't get up for this you shouldn't watch sports.

At the end though, Federer is back to his ethereal level he showed in Dubai and Rotterdam. When Roger Federer has 10 UE in a 4 set match against Djokovic (he had 62 in 3 sets just 3 weeks ago at RG against Nole), you know hes playing electrifying tennis.

Murray folded against the pressure in 2010 at Melbourne. Now, the pressure is multiplied by 10000000x and Federer is playing better tennis. Only one winner here.

Roger Federer to win Wimbledon over Muzza @ 1.53

I love this guys write up,good luck!Bring home the bacon Fed Maestro,the problem with Murray is that his playing Fed that going up another level from QF-SF-Final!Like riding uphill on a bike with no wheels n brakes,almost impossible!

nastoff 07-08-2012 05:45 AM

Impossible is nothing
I'm waiting for kuta's take on this match.

sports freak 07-08-2012 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busterovic (Post 12193337)
They're both incredible indoors. Probably the 2 best in the world indoors to be honest

Joker's not bad indoors but Fed made a mockery of him in the SF so it will favour Fed aswell!Potro is up there aswell when it comes to indoors!Roger seems to be on a mission,when he wants somethin he usually gets!

Busterovic 07-08-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sports freak (Post 12193550)
I love this guys write up,good luck!Bring home the bacon Fed Maestro,the problem with Murray is that his playing Fed that going up another level from QF-SF-Final!Like riding uphill on a bike with no wheels n brakes,almost impossible!

Thanks for the kind words man