MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   Feedback, Suggestions & Questions (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The "Wishing Death" rule (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=204243)

scoobs 06-17-2012 04:22 PM

The "Wishing Death" rule
 
I've discussed it with the other mods and I wanted to get some sensible opinions on this rule and how it should work.

At the moment there is no wiggle room in it - you make a post that can be read as wishing death on someone (also the wishing injury rule similarly) and it's an automatic ban if the mods become aware of it.

This leads to a lot of complaints on the basis that "it was a joke, I didn't mean it seriously" etc.

We're not getting rid of the rule totally - we don't want this to be a forum where venomous posts telling people to die or get injured are acceptable.

But we do maybe want to consider adding a legitimate "it was an expression" / "it was a joke" defence which might be left alone or might just be deleted/edited depending on circumstances.

The post would have to make it explicit that it was not meant seriously, though.

I was looking for some opinions about all this.

Thanks

Mae 06-18-2012 08:29 AM

Re: The "Wishing Death" rule
 
I don't see how "wishing death" or "wishing injury" can be a joke! Naturally the person is going to say it was a joke when they are caught because they know they are going to get banned. I say leave the rule exactly as it is since you are not wisely going to get rid of it altogether. Because in making any changes what you are actually going to be doing is making it harder to know if the rule should be applied or not. It is very simple not to get banned for this reason just don't post about that subject at all!

scarecrows 06-18-2012 10:32 AM

Re: The "Wishing Death" rule
 
i dont think it is difficult to judge from the context a "wishing death"post was made

eg. if you say "hope x-player gets run from a train" in match result thread then should be a ban

if there are 2 people chit-chatting in Chat Threads and say something that vaguely resembles wishing death then you should be more tolerant

samanosuke 06-18-2012 01:42 PM

Re: The "Wishing Death" rule
 
Mods and admins should do IQ test before they got their status. That's the easiest way how you could distinguish joking, allegory and sarcasm from being serious

Carlita 06-18-2012 01:58 PM

Re: The "Wishing Death" rule
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mae (Post 12112370)
I don't see how "wishing death" or "wishing injury" can be a joke! Naturally the person is going to say it was a joke when they are caught because they know they are going to get banned. I say leave the rule exactly as it is since you are not wisely going to get rid of it altogether. Because in making any changes what you are actually going to be doing is making it harder to know if the rule should be applied or not. It is very simple not to get banned for this reason just don't post about that subject at all!

I sort of agree with Mae. It is very easy for everyone who gets banned because of this rule to say: but it was a joke!!!

I said it before, if people are chatting and put : Im kidding of course ;) or Im not being serious here. That would make it a bit easier to determine what to do. It might still get reported....but we could only delete or, in some cases, completely leave it there.

The issue raised that it was said in a chat thread amongst friends, doesnt work, at least for me. There is no private section on this forum (apart from the premium members forum) and everyone can read what they want, where they want at any given time. So if they read something offensive or against any of the rules, they are free to report it and the mods will have to respond accordingly.

It's a tough one this.....unless the exceptions to this rule are made very clear, maybe it is best to let it stay the way it is.

But yeah, please give your (serious) feedback on this.

Carlita 06-18-2012 02:00 PM

Re: The "Wishing Death" rule
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by samanosuke (Post 12113142)
Mods and admins should do IQ test before they got their status. That's the easiest way how you could distinguish joking, allegory and sarcasm from being serious

IQ does not determine if you can tell the difference between a joke or a serious threat.... Everyone has a different threshold to what is funny and what is not.

What you find hilarious, I might find disgusting and visa versa......

just curious, what should our IQ be? :lol:

scoobs 06-18-2012 03:37 PM

Re: The "Wishing Death" rule
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by samanosuke (Post 12113142)
Mods and admins should do IQ test before they got their status. That's the easiest way how you could distinguish joking, allegory and sarcasm from being serious

Maybe so should posters? :shrug:

Lee 06-18-2012 04:01 PM

Re: The "Wishing Death" rule
 
My opinion is any wishing death or inury to a player or someone else should be an automatic ban. The only exception will be in a chat thread between two posters and the offended poster agree it's a joke or not mean seriously.

Mae 06-18-2012 04:09 PM

Re: The "Wishing Death" rule
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobs (Post 12113573)
Maybe so should posters? :shrug:

Good one scoobs :lol: And how do you post anything that "vaguely resembles wishing death"? You either wish it or you don't IMHO. And I agree with Carlita that it makes no difference, if it is in
a Chat Thread or not. Because as she said everyone can still read it. I don't understand why anyone even wants to put anything like this in their posts anyway? I say leave the rule exactly as it is now.

Sunset of Age 06-18-2012 07:42 PM

Re: The "Wishing Death" rule
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee (Post 12113676)
My opinion is any wishing death or inury to a player or someone else should be an automatic ban. The only exception will be in a chat thread between two posters and the offended poster agree it's a joke or not mean seriously.

Pretty much my opinion on this matter as well.

samanosuke 06-18-2012 07:50 PM

Re: The "Wishing Death" rule
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobs (Post 12113573)
Maybe so should posters? :shrug:

It's easier to find 10 people than 1000000. At the end mods are ones who are bringing decision and don't ask for opinion 1000000 other dumb posters.

First step in solving this problem is applying this golden rule " Bannings are not done lightly and in all cases a lot of discussion takes place before such a decision is made, or to confirm that the correct decision was made when the ban has been implemented. "

which is everything but not applied

abollo 06-18-2012 08:03 PM

Re: The "Wishing Death" rule
 
Maybe create a thread where people are allowed to do so and everything everywhere else is a ban

Carlita 06-18-2012 08:07 PM

Re: The "Wishing Death" rule
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by abollo (Post 12114507)
Maybe create a thread where people are allowed to do so and everything everywhere else is a ban

that place is called: Gambler's Lounge...although death wishes and racism are still a no go, when reported. ;)

samanosuke 06-18-2012 08:50 PM

Re: The "Wishing Death" rule
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlita (Post 12114515)
that place is called: Gambler's Lounge...although death wishes and racism are still a no go, when reported. ;)

is this mean that personal attacks and injury wishes are allowed there even if they are reported ?

Carlita 06-18-2012 08:51 PM

Re: The "Wishing Death" rule
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by samanosuke (Post 12114622)
is this mean that personal attacks and injury wishes are allowed there even if they are reported ?

Go there and read the rules :) GL has their own set of rules.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.