MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Murray : "I can still become the best in the world this year" (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=199788)

paseo 04-09-2012 04:24 PM

Murray : "I can still become the best in the world this year"

Quote:

I can still become the best in the world, says Murray after Miami defeat

Andy Murray still believes he can reach the world No 1 spot this year, despite Novak Djokovic showing no signs that he is ready to give it up.

After defeat in the final of the Sony Ericsson Open in Florida, the 24-year-old Scot remains a long way from Djokovic, but as the tour prepares to move on to the European clay courts, the new rankings show that both Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer are within range.
Closing in: Murray is not far off the world's top three

For the first time since October 2009, Murray has more than 8,000 ranking points on the board, yet such is the strength at the top that this is still not enough to gain him a place in the world’s top three.

To do that he must overtake Federer, who is fewer than 1,000 points ahead. Nadal is fewer than 2,000 in front and, as ever, he has a mass to defend in the next 10 weeks and will slip down if he has any injury or loss of form.

‘At the start of last week everyone was asking me if Roger is about to go back to world No 1, and if he was in his best ever form, yet I am possibly only one good tournament away from overtaking him,’ reasoned Murray in the wake of his loss to Djokovic on Sunday.

‘My goal this year is still to be world No 1, and to do that you’ve got to win Slams, so the two of them go together. The aim now is to peak for the French Open. A few years ago when I reached the quarters there I felt that was a good result but now I am more confident.’

Murray will stay on in Florida to work for another five days with Ivan Lendl on clay before heading to Monte Carlo via a brief few days at his Surrey home.

Lendl will be with him and he plans a busy clay-court schedule, playing in Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Madrid and Rome ahead of Roland Garros.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ten...#ixzz1rYpeXnh7
Great attitude. But, is it realistic? What do you think?

electronicmusic 04-09-2012 04:25 PM

Re: Murray : "I can still become the best in the world this year"

No way.

GSMnadal 04-09-2012 04:26 PM

Say what now?

:rolls:

Snowwy 04-09-2012 04:27 PM

Why not, Federer is old and inconsistant, Nadal is not good this year and Djokovic has at times like weak. While it is probably not likely, it could happen.

Mystique 04-09-2012 04:27 PM

but you wont.
:wavey:

Looner 04-09-2012 04:45 PM

I thought the jokes were meant to be released on April 1.

Mark Lenders 04-09-2012 04:46 PM

No way.

It is obvious that the year-end number 1 will be decided between Djokovic and Nadal. They are the two best players in the world and it's not even close.

Djokovic obviously has the edge, he's the most dominant no.1 since prime Federer, but Nadal is right on his heels. If Djokovic falters, Nadal will be all over him.

The odds are something like: Djokovic - 60% Nadal - 30% Federer - 5% Someone else - 5% (assuming someone else can break through and win a Slam of course. No one is getting no.1 without a Slam).

Kiedis 04-09-2012 04:54 PM

A lot of people have commented that Muzza problem is the Brittish media and their unjustified over-hype of the guy. Too much pressure for the poor little Andy. Well, now the British media has ceased to believe in him and is Muzza himself who put over him all the pressure :o

You should learn from Rafa, Andy. A very bad Rafatard you are :(

Mechlan 04-09-2012 05:00 PM

Good for him. If he doesn't believe it, why should anyone else?

arm 04-09-2012 05:01 PM

Your putting too much pressure on yourself, Andy :facepalm: and sharing it so that everyone knows and pressures you... not very smart.

Farenhajt 04-09-2012 05:09 PM

Poor delusional brat. A damaging influence of his mother, perhaps?

arm 04-09-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farenhajt (Post 11893751)
Poor delusional brat. A damaging influence of his mother, perhaps?

Please don't do that. Not when your (and my) favorite player has difficult parents as well... :rolleyes:

hipolymer 04-09-2012 05:13 PM

Just because Murray says he believes it doesn't mean he believes it. Which makes his comment all the more stupid.

Snowwy 04-09-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipolymer (Post 11893757)
Just because Murray says he believes it doesn't mean he believes it. Which makes his comment all the more stupid.

Wait, his comment is stupid because you have gotten inside Murray's head and decided he doesn't really believe what he is saying? :rolleyes:

Snowwy 04-09-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipolymer (Post 11893757)

Wait, his comment is stupid because you have gotten inside Murray's head and decided he doesn't really believe what he is saying? :rolleyes: