MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com (http://www.menstennisforums.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1360)
-   -   Washington 4, Tulsa 3. UW plays Louisville on 3/3 and Tulsa v Louisville on 3/4 (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=197904)

darklucia 03-03-2012 04:14 AM

Washington 4, Tulsa 3. UW plays Louisville on 3/3 and Tulsa v Louisville on 3/4

Just got back from the UW v Tulsa match. Great win for UW.

Doubles went to Tulsa, who won #1 & #2. UW won easily at #3 and Tulsa the same at #2 [hit many balls hard down the middle]. UW made a mini comeback on court 1 but ultimately lost 8-6.

In singles, Tulsa initially went up 3-1 and managed to even two of the remaining three matches; however they ultimately lost the remaining singles.

#1 UW wins 6-3, 6-7 (5), 6-1. De Klerk was pushing McMorrow around with his forehand, but ultimately ran out of energy in his legs and started missing.

#2 UW wins 7-6 (7), 6-4. Egger had to rest for a moment on the court after a point. I overheard some people saying that he has a heart issue and sometimes his heartbeat gets too fast so he just has to rest for a moment? Egger got down a break but recovered and brought the match to a tiebreak, which he won 9-7 after being down 4-0. Early in the second set Marsland called for the trainer for some leg issue but he seemed to be moving okay. Egger broke him late in the second set to win 7-6, 6-4.

#3 Tulsa wins 6-4, 6-2. Bots was missing too many shots.

#4 Tulsa wins 6-4, 6-1. It was my first time watching Farkas play and it seemed like he wanted to be aggressive but was missing at first, so he toned down the power, only to ultimately try playing something he wasn't comfortable with and losing pretty handily.

#5 UW wins 6-2, 6-3. More of Manthou being a scrambler.

#6 UW wins 7-5, 3-6, 6-2. There were nerves from Kamisar. He let a break advantage in the second set go away and his serve just went missing for a while. Between sets he must have regrouped and he got to a 5-0 lead. Espejo got some enthusiasm back when Kamisar tightened up majorly when serving for the match. Ultimately Espejo just didn't have the legs to scramble to the shots while Kamisar was less worn down.

Hopefully I will make tomorrow's match between UW and Louisville as well as Louisville v Tulsa on Sunday.

darklucia 03-03-2012 11:31 PM

Re: Washington 4, Tulsa 3. UW plays Louisville on 3/3 and Tulsa v Louisville on 3/4

UW beats Louisville 4-0. They decided not to play out the remaining matches. #2, #3, #4 singles were still in progress with #2 in a second set tiebreak, Louisville having won the first 6-2 after a slow start by Emmett, #3 heavily favoring UW after Bots got his act together and got a 4-1 lead in the third, #4 possibly going Louisville's way after Louisville evened it 1-set all with Farkas starting to miss a bit more.

I didn't catch doubles and the first few games of the singles, but it looks like McMorrow played smart to get his win, Manthou also played smart to win easily, and Kamisar didn't let his nerves get too much over him by managing to close it in straight sets. Manthou is a very nice #5 for UW.

out_here_grindin 03-04-2012 03:02 AM

Re: Washington 4, Tulsa 3. UW plays Louisville on 3/3 and Tulsa v Louisville on 3/4

I saw Lousiville in person as well. They are alright. Stieflemeyer will be good

Washington sounds to be pretty solid this year. It's interesting that a lot of their players are from the northwest USA. Whats McMorrow's game like?

darklucia 03-04-2012 05:08 PM

I feel like they are about as good as last year, which is saying a lot considering four of the players are relatively new (Manthou played a few #6 matches last year). I can't say enough how impressed I am by everyone. It's great to see that it's due to some local talent. The crowds are bigger this year because Egger, Manthou, and Kamisar are all from 1 hour or less away.

McMorrow is pretty solid all around. He doesn't have a ton of power (a lot of the #1s he faces have more power than him) but he's not a moonballer. He's a great athlete and can spend time just retrieving if he has to, but usually he works the baseline trying to get an attackable shot. He has a bit more power on the forehand side but he has a solid two-handed backhand and one-handed slice which he uses to change the pace. He will also change it up and chip and charge. His serve is decent but not the greatest so he rarely serves and volleys.

Pretty much the few times I have seen him down in a match are when he is either getting overpowered (opponent too good or perhaps sometimes letting the other player dictate a bit too much) or he is missing too much for his liking (he can get quite irritated when that happens).

Alright, off to watch Louisville and Tulsa. Expecting Tulsa to win. Louisville is really feeling the loss of last year's seniors. I agree with you on Stiefelmeyer.

darklucia 03-04-2012 08:31 PM

Tulsa easy 4-0 over Louisville. Tulsa took the doubles easily. Stiefelmeyer went back to #1 and got beat by De Klerk relatively easily. Tulsa also got wins at #3 (Louisville's #3 fell apart in the second) and at #5. Might have been on the way to a 7-0 sweep.